Wednesday, November 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:45 pm I'm catching up on missed games and just saw this FJ clue. I object to the writers using the term "island" for Manhattan. If I can drive a car to it, it isn't an island. :!:
I get what you're saying, but... is Long Island an island?
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:03 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:45 pm I'm catching up on missed games and just saw this FJ clue. I object to the writers using the term "island" for Manhattan. If I can drive a car to it, it isn't an island. :!:
But that means Prince Edward Island ceased to be an Island 24 years ago
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I hope he never looks at a map of Denmark. Or Rhode Island. And does that make Japan four islands or two?
And how does this work for the UK? Technically you can't -drive- to it...but you can take a train.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:40 pm
I hope he never looks at a map of Denmark. Or Rhode Island. And does that make Japan four islands or two?
And how does this work for the UK? Technically you can't -drive- to it...but you can take a train.
Singapore, Bahrain, etc.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:21 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:40 pm
Singapore, Bahrain, etc.
Most of the Florida Keys…..
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:07 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:31 am I was on this particular island on Wednesday, though I didn't watch the T-W-Th J!'s until I got home last night. I did get FJ! correct, though not as confidently as I perhaps should have. It was in the general category of "It's either Manhattan or I have no idea, so let's go with Manhattan". (Why Manhattan? Because of its strong association with banking and finance.)
You sure you're not just showing off your knowledge of the Hamilton musical again? :lol:
If I knew it *that* well, I wouldn't have had to guess, I would have been sure. ;)
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:45 pm I'm catching up on missed games and just saw this FJ clue. I object to the writers using the term "island" for Manhattan. If I can drive a car to it, it isn't an island. :!: Maybe there should be a term for mainland split by rivers, but until there is, then don't use the term for functionally contiguous land masses. (Trying to think of possible US states encircled by rivers - South Carolina?). Some other rule can provide for the Florida Keys, which led to my answer of Key West off of my coin toss with Martha's Vineyard. Yeah, I can drive the Keys, but they are surrounded by big water.
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

eta: just in case it isn't obvious, my mock outrage is misplaced being as the clue refers to a time when Manhattan was very much an "island" in more than name only at the time of the clue, before the bridge and tunnel people came along :). The clue is a complete YEKIOYD without the island TOM.

In Re: my trivial complaint about Manhattan's status as an "island" just because technically it is even though there are few boats going there from the mainland:
Attitude adjusted :). Islands can be formed by isolation caused by rivers. Now I want naming rights to several dozen (if not hundreds) of newly defined islands in the continent. I will start with my homeland, twelvefoot island (of course):

Accepting bids for naming rights, you can find your home island here. The asking price for the Rolla mainland may be kind of high because of the beautiful Ozark rivers :lol::
https://txpub.usgs.gov/DSS/streamer/web/

(zoomed out version of link)

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:19 am I will start with my homeland, twelvefoot island
Reminds me of counting up farmland points at the end of a game of Carcassonne.

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

The Grammy Album category should there have been a BMS on “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill”? It was the title of the album that got the nod. It was not The Miseducation of Hill.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

eureka wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:28 pm The Grammy Album category should there have been a BMS on “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill”? It was the title of the album that got the nod. It was not The Miseducation of Hill.
It's reasonable enough to interpret "The Miseducation of" as a TOM and 'her' referring to the artist rather than the rest of the title. Also, 3 other clues asked for an artist, not the album. No BMS necessary.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This was yesterday's rerun, which I watched, and I'm surprised to see no posts in the discussion thread taking exception to SAME FIRST & LAST LETTER $1,600 calling a torrent "a type of movie file." A movie file can be a torrent (I don't like that usage—I think of "torrent" as referring to a means of file acquisition rather than to the files acquired—but people use it that way regardless), but a torrent is not a movie file. Any kind of file can be shared via torrent.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:14 pm This was yesterday's rerun, which I watched, and I'm surprised to see no posts in the discussion thread taking exception to SAME FIRST & LAST LETTER $1,600 calling a torrent "a type of movie file." A movie file can be a torrent (I don't like that usage—I think of "torrent" as referring to a means of file acquisition rather than to the files acquired—but people use it that way regardless), but a torrent is not a movie file. Any kind of file can be shared via torrent.
I must have noticed that at the time, but didn't remember it by the time I got to the discussion. You're right as always.