Wednesday, November 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Hamilton famously living in New York and knowing Fulton's first steamboat plied the Hudson was enough to lead me to Manhattan. Sort of surprised to see two people so far have said they don't think of Manhattan as an island.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:05 am Hamilton famously living in New York and knowing Fulton's first steamboat plied the Hudson was enough to lead me to Manhattan. Sort of surprised to see two people so far have said they don't think of Manhattan as an island.
To be fair (to me), I said I did not think of Manhattan as an island (during the :30). The other person said "I didn't know Manhattan is an island." Some difference there... :)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

$24 wouldn't buy a whole continent. Not even back then.
I'm smart and I want respect.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Andrew is a very strong player. His six game run on the show featured some tough competition, not allowing him to get too comfortable. There will be a decent number of “super champs” in the next TOC, but don’t overlook Andrew’s chances.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was offended by how easy the ionization Daily Double was. But then I've been hoping for him to lose for days.

I've been to Hamilton's grave on Wall Street and I was momentarily distracted by him having been born in St. Kitts and tried to remember who the other early treasury secretaries were but decided to play the note I know and went with Manhattan. I also think it's time for the writers to stop obsessing about Hamilton.

Message to Ten Pound Hammer: There is no conspiracy against you. There doesn't need to be a conspiracy. We can leave you to your own devices and have you miss Jack as the boy who fell down the hill even when spotted Jill.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

It was a guess, but correct guesses count. Treasury > Hamilton > New York > Manhattan.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Am I the only one who guessed Long Island? I considered Manhattan but didn't have any compelling reason to opt for it over LI.
davey

Post by davey »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 am Am I the only one who guessed Long Island? I considered Manhattan but didn't have any compelling reason to opt for it over LI.
I did, but only out of desperation as I ran out of time, and as I said above, I just wasn't thinking of Manhattan as a possibility, even though if I'd thought calmly I would have known that I've been to Hamilton's grave... :roll:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 am Am I the only one who guessed Long Island? I considered Manhattan but didn't have any compelling reason to opt for it over LI.
I didn't have a compelling reason for any island in and around NYC, quickly scribbled Governor's Island at the start, then tried to come up with a reason it would be any particular island. I specifically didn't go with Manhattan because I don't have any memories of walking past any cemeteries whenever I've been there (just like gas stations, I know they exist on Manhattan, but I've only seen one that I can remember).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Grammy Albums was not so good for me.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:28 am
I didn't have a compelling reason for any island in and around NYC, quickly scribbled Governor's Island at the start, then tried to come up with a reason it would be any particular island. I specifically didn't go with Manhattan because I don't have any memories of walking past any cemeteries whenever I've been there (just like gas stations, I know they exist on Manhattan, but I've only seen one that I can remember).
Looks like Manhattan's down to seven gas stations
https://www.google.com/maps/search/gas+ ... 862,11.58z
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:24 am I was offended by how easy the ionization Daily Double was. But then I've been hoping for him to lose for days.
:roll:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:37 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:24 am I was offended by how easy the ionization Daily Double was. But then I've been hoping for him to lose for days.
:roll:
He was right about the first part. Seriously, on a $1600 clue? As for the second part, even if I thought that, I wouldn't be so crass as to post that publicly.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:27 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:28 am
Looks like Manhattan's down to seven gas stations
https://www.google.com/maps/search/gas+ ... 862,11.58z
that map search can be weird sometimes. There is one on 11th (the one I know I've walked past), that isn't showing, and the "BP"...I really don't remember seeing that one at all, from times driving or walking on that street.

ETA: OK, the tunnel depiction can be confusing on the map. I've been all around the BP on 10th, but I now don't think I've actually been at that location on 10th.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

As someone who's never been to New York City, I have to ask: is there anything in the FJ clue to indicate which of the many New York City islands it is, or is this clue another gift for people who've spent a lot of time there?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

ldfghjkl wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:08 pm As someone who's never been to New York City, I have to ask: is there anything in the FJ clue to indicate which of the many New York City islands it is, or is this clue another gift for people who've spent a lot of time there?
I don't frequent NYC but I know enough from the Hamilton musical to know Alexander Hamilton is buried at Trinity Church.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I was on this particular island on Wednesday, though I didn't watch the T-W-Th J!'s until I got home last night. I did get FJ! correct, though not as confidently as I perhaps should have. It was in the general category of "It's either Manhattan or I have no idea, so let's go with Manhattan". (Why Manhattan? Because of its strong association with banking and finance.)
harrumph wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:53 pm
ACW wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:29 pm So will Andrew go to the TOC?
He will go.
Do people still say "I see what you did there"?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:31 am I was on this particular island on Wednesday, though I didn't watch the T-W-Th J!'s until I got home last night. I did get FJ! correct, though not as confidently as I perhaps should have. It was in the general category of "It's either Manhattan or I have no idea, so let's go with Manhattan". (Why Manhattan? Because of its strong association with banking and finance.)
You sure you're not just showing off your knowledge of the Hamilton musical again? :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ldfghjkl wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:08 pm As someone who's never been to New York City, I have to ask: is there anything in the FJ clue to indicate which of the many New York City islands it is, or is this clue another gift for people who've spent a lot of time there?
Not exactly, but keep in mind "New York City" was conterminous with Manhattan until late in the 19th century. Not to say this makes Manhattan a slam dunk, but it certainly makes it the odds-on guess.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm catching up on missed games and just saw this FJ clue. I object to the writers using the term "island" for Manhattan. If I can drive a car to it, it isn't an island. :!: Maybe there should be a term for mainland split by rivers, but until there is, then don't use the term for functionally contiguous land masses. (Trying to think of possible US states encircled by rivers - South Carolina?). Some other rule can provide for the Florida Keys, which led to my answer of Key West off of my coin toss with Martha's Vineyard. Yeah, I can drive the Keys, but they are surrounded by big water.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.