Thursday, November 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

Golf wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:51 pm The 3rd and 4th row clues were TS’s earlier in the round so it’s pretty clear it’s a weak category for everybody. And then go TDD on a bottom row clue? Wow.
Reminds me, it's funny that Denmark would sell us its Virgin Islands but can't bear to part with Greenland.
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a couple clues in Fair Piece of Entertainment and TV Husbands.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

How the heck was Wonton a stumper?!?!
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:39 pm Missed a couple clues in Fair Piece of Entertainment and TV Husbands.)

I'm not used to soup wontons, they're typically deep fried around here...and stuffed with cream cheese
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
yclept

Post by yclept »

Good news for Taylor: Imagine if you hit those DDs, were able to go into FJ in first place, only to end up losing because you didn’t have enough time to write the R in WAR. That is the silver lining for you at least.

Amy with a nice title defense and back-to-back $30,000K+ scores to start her run.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Wrote Punic War. Judges? Ken's explanation was not entirely clear. Sorry to see Taylor miss it by a letter. I did find his DDs harder than normal.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D :mrgreen: on big clues. Ouch to Taylor for clanking the back-to-back DDs, but they were easily gettable.
Judges:. Reb8 for ab8ment? :?:
For the record, my response was "What were the Punic Wars"?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:12 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:39 pm Missed a couple clues in Fair Piece of Entertainment and TV Husbands.)

I'm not used to soup wontons, they're typically deep fried around here...and stuffed with cream cheese
Yep, I ended up recognizing the things but momentarily forgetting their name. Mrs P said Dim Sum which wasn't exactly wrong, but it definitely wasn't right!
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:09 am
Volante wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:12 am

Yep, I ended up recognizing the things but momentarily forgetting their name. Mrs P said Dim Sum which wasn't exactly wrong, but it definitely wasn't right!
Yeah, there are many different kinds/names for Chinese dumplings. Throwing "Hong Kong" into the clue left it more uncertain, as if they were special to that cuisine...I've been to a Hong Kong restaurant, it's not the same as Cantonese.
davey

Post by davey »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:29 pm TPH: when spotted Rome, N Africa (Tunis) and 2100 years, anyone like me who took World History in 7th grade should be able to pull the Punic Wars. If they also took Carthaginian Wars, you wouldn’t even have to recall the precise name. Shocking that it went 1/3.
My AP class was "European" History, and I don't think we covered the Punic Wars. I know the conventional stuff about Hannibal, and that's about it. I'm glad the clue was easy for many, but I didn't connect Tunis to Carthage, so I was stuck... :oops:
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Golf wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:51 pm Naturally I’m a fan of aggressive play when it’s warranted, but I feel Taylor’s TDD was a strategic error. Was barely behind in Coryat going into the first DD so was close to even on the buzzer.

The 3rd and 4th row clues were TS’s earlier in the round so it’s pretty clear it’s a weak category for everybody. And then go TDD on a bottom row clue? Wow.

The minimum $5 wager almost certainly shows the highest winning chances here.
He made the right play. The only reason to go $5 is if he just hated the category. With what happened afterward. $5 gave him no chance of winning and that included if he knew FJ and Amy did not.

He's down 13,000 to 7,000. He really only has two choices. $5 or all in. Betting $1000 does almost nothing, and if you are starting to consider 3k or 4k, you might as well go for it because your basically crippled if you miss at those values.

One part of your assessment that I don't agree with, he was barely behind on Coryat so it was close on the buzzer. Not True. He was down in Coryat at that time 10,800 to 9,000, but he was behind on correct answers 17 to 11. At the end of the jeopardy round he was down 7,200 (15) to 3,000 (7). That tells me he was making up ground getting the higher value clues, that she was more than likely not buzzing in on, and she was beating him on the lower value clues when they were both buzzing in. She was beating him on the buzzer more often than not and he would have known that.

As it turned out, of the last 16 clues after his miss, 12 of which came from that top two rows. It was Amy 10, Bonnie 4 and Taylor 2. If his instinct was to stand a chance, I need to go for it here, because she is beating me on the buzzer. It was the correct instinct.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:11 am
Woof wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:29 pm TPH: when spotted Rome, N Africa (Tunis) and 2100 years, anyone like me who took World History in 7th grade should be able to pull the Punic Wars. If they also took Carthaginian Wars, you wouldn’t even have to recall the precise name. Shocking that it went 1/3.
My AP class was "European" History, and I don't think we covered the Punic Wars. I know the conventional stuff about Hannibal, and that's about it. I'm glad the clue was easy for many, but I didn't connect Tunis to Carthage, so I was stuck... :oops:
Yep, that's a definite roadblock. If you didn't connect Carthage to Punic, you could still bring this FJ home with Carthaginian. But if Tunis doesn't ring the right bell, that bell probably isn't going to ring. I'm interested to know if anyone got it without making that connection. I can see just casting about for "ancient Roman war that might not have been technically resolved" and landing in the right place.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:11 pm
Yep, that's a definite roadblock. If you didn't connect Carthage to Punic, you could still bring this FJ home with Carthaginian. But if Tunis doesn't ring the right bell, that bell probably isn't going to ring. I'm interested to know if anyone got it without making that connection. I can see just casting about for "ancient Roman war that might not have been technically resolved" and landing in the right place.
Even if one doesn't know that Tunis == Carthage, if one can place Tunis in N Africa one has to ask what other Roman involvement in N Africa of note is there? Yes, Caesar and Marc Antony did dally with Cleopatra, but that was in Egypt and too late for this clue. Of course, if Carthage and the Punic Wars haven't registered on your consciousness, then there is no route in to FJ.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

After reading the text of the FJ here I realized I totally misread it last night and that's why I wrote down "Treaty of Carthage." Pretty sure I would have put "Carthaginian War" had I read it correctly. Oh well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Peloppanisuan War and decided Punic was correct just as the music ended. Need an easy one Friday or I’ll be clicking the box of shame tomorrow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:28 pm I had Peloppanisuan War and decided Punic was correct just as the music ended. Need an easy one Friday or I’ll be clicking the box of shame tomorrow.
:lol: - You'll have to figure out which sentence is making me laugh.
davey

Post by davey »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:40 pm
Even if one doesn't know that Tunis == Carthage, if one can place Tunis in N Africa one has to ask what other Roman involvement in N Africa of note is there? Yes, Caesar and Marc Antony did dally with Cleopatra, but that was in Egypt and too late for this clue. Of course, if Carthage and the Punic Wars haven't registered on your consciousness, then there is no route in to FJ.
I agree, it was gettable from that direction. Just didn't happen for me. It's been a tough week... :roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:21 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:40 pm
I agree, it was gettable from that direction. Just didn't happen for me. It's been a tough week... :roll:
I was born in Carthage (Missouri), and sort of remember the term Punic Wars from high school, but I don't think it was pinned to Carthage, and definitely have never heard of "Carthaginian Wars". I would expect our teachers to use the connection as a teaching point, but maybe they just liked to say "Punic" and wait for the 8th grader puns.
I did guess Peloponnesian wars, but knew it would be wrong (what with the Greeks waging it).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

There are countless clues throughout the years where the answer is Peloponnesian War(s). Basic history. But how many of those in FJ? None. Why?

Because Jeopardy isn’t going to make you write/spell Peloponnesian War in that time frame. Therefore the answer has to be Punic even if you can’t keep the details of each straight.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:10 am There are countless clues throughout the years where the answer is Peloponnesian War(s). Basic history. But how many of those in FJ? None. Why?

Because Jeopardy isn’t going to make you write/spell Peloponnesian War in that time frame. Therefore the answer has to be Punic even if you can’t keep the details of each straight.
Sgt Peloponnesian's Lonely Spartans Club Band, however, is fair game.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:55 am
Golf wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:10 am There are countless clues throughout the years where the answer is Peloponnesian War(s). Basic history. But how many of those in FJ? None. Why?

Sgt Peloponnesian's Lonely Spartans Club Band, however, is fair game.
This is making me laugh a lot more than it has any right to. Well done!