Monday, November 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I can't remember ever knowing that Harding was a publisher...but I did know he was from Marion, OH. For some reason the idea that it was McKinley resonated more, though I should have known the category was trying to tell me something... :oops:
I was a little surprised that the Beatles documentary got a correct response, since it only starts showing this week. I guess the word was already out when this was taped. I thought someone might name Ron Howard...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got spoiled on FJ. But only two (fully) twentieth-century Ohio Republican presidents should make it easy. My initial inclination was not to count it as a get, but I feel like I'm changing my mind.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Since Ken and I both went to Douglas Adams book signings while in college, I assume we both saw him when he was touring to promote Mostly Harmless.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:40 pm A CHEMICAL TRAGEDY.

Our Willie passed away today,
His face we’ll see no more;
What Willie thought was H2O
Proved H2SO4.
And this bit, from an old Weekend Update (sorry, I couldn't find any video)--

Jack Van Arks (Al Franken): I say, “Boy! My soup sure is hot!” And this chemist says, “Why don’t you put some dihydrogen oxide in it?” And I said, “Dihydrogen oxide? Sounds pretty ominous to me!” And he said, “Dihydrogen oxide. H2O.” Well, even I know what H2O is! Simple water. Well, I guess eating would be kind of boring without old NaCl, and life would be pretty near impossible without… dihydrogen oxide! So, you see — without chemicals, life would be boring AND impossible! Jane?

Jane Curtin (Jane Curtin): Thank you, Jack. Hey, Jack — how would you like a glass of H2SO4?

Jack Van Arks (Al Franken): Oh, sure, Jane! What, uh — what is H2SO4, Jane?

Jane Curtin (Jane Curtin): Well, it’s nothing more than simple household… sulfuric acid.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Impressive run by Amy.

Liked the FJ clue. Took a few seconds to unpack, but once you had it, you had it, which Ken referred to pre-reveal.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
yclept

Post by yclept »

I wonder where Amy ranks in terms of their first four games on the show. James and Roger beat her score. Ken and Larissa did not. That is as far as I looked though…
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

yclept wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:54 am I wonder where Amy ranks in terms of their first four games on the show. James and Roger beat her score. Ken and Larissa did not. That is as far as I looked though…
Jerome Vered had $81,401 after four games in the pre-doubled era. I think the "first four" ranking probably now begins James, Roger, Jerome, Amy, Mark Runsvold ($153,800). cheezguyty could probably check more rigorously, though.

edit: If Matt Handel had gotten his fourth FJ right in 1994, he'd have had a total of $78,001.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

The only thing I can add is that if Doug Lach had gotten his third FJ right, his four-day total would have been $83,600.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:56 pm I was a little surprised that the Beatles documentary got a correct response, since it only starts showing this week. I guess the word was already out when this was taped.
The project was announced, in part with a NYT article, on January 30, 2019, the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' rooftop concert. For Beatles fans, hearing about the Peter Jackson project in 2019 was a big deal. The Let It Be movie has always been the depressing black sheep of the Beatles movie family. It was even more exciting to hear, more recently, that the film would be assembled as a multi-day streaming event. Had the film been confined to the time limits of a theatrical release, it would have had to omit quite a bit, and it's hard to imagine how it would have ended up much different than the original Let It Be.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:59 am
davey wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:56 pm I was a little surprised that the Beatles documentary got a correct response, since it only starts showing this week. I guess the word was already out when this was taped.
The project was announced, in part with a NYT article, on January 30, 2019, the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' rooftop concert. For Beatles fans, hearing about the Peter Jackson project in 2019 was a big deal. The Let It Be movie has always been the depressing black sheep of the Beatles movie family. It was even more exciting to hear, more recently, that the film would be assembled as a multi-day streaming event. Had the film been confined to the time limits of a theatrical release, it would have had to omit quite a bit, and it's hard to imagine how it would have ended up much different than the original Let It Be.
I wouldn't have known this when the show was taped. The first I'd heard about it was a recent story in the New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/11/arts ... Position=1
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In July I took a tour of the all presidential graves in Ohio (along with Kentucky and Indiana) and took a tour of Harding’s home. I probably get it anyway, but having it fresh in my mind helped.

A fun fact about McKinley’s elections is that he beat William Jennings Bryan both times. If it ever comes up in a FJ, Hammer has no excuse for not knowing it.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:29 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:59 am
I wouldn't have known this when the show was taped. The first I'd heard about it was a recent story in the New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/11/arts ... Position=1
It does seem lucky - both as a clue and as a promotional device - that Mack knew it. These little pushes can fall flat when the clue goes unanswered...
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

I found it odd that the correct responses for the detective category went: James Patterson, Detective Bosch, Devil in a Blue Dress, Sue Grafton, Philip Marlowe. The 'tougher' responses seem a million times more famous than the 'easier' ones. I've never even heard of James Patterson or Detective Bosch.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:56 pm I've never even heard of James Patterson....
:shock:
davey

Post by davey »

ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:56 pm I found it odd that the correct responses for the detective category went: James Patterson, Detective Bosch, Devil in a Blue Dress, Sue Grafton, Philip Marlowe. The 'tougher' responses seem a million times more famous than the 'easier' ones. I've never even heard of James Patterson or Detective Bosch.
James Patterson is one of the biggest-selling - and most prolific - authors of all time, with 114 NYTimes best sellers. I've never read any of his books, but it's hard to avoid knowing who he is. He appears in TV commercials for himself, and recently got much publicity for writing thrillers with Bill Clinton. Alex Cross has been played by Morgan Freeman in the movies. $200 is sensible placement.
I'm not as certain about Bosch - I didn't get that one - but it helps that the detective has appeared in a long-running series on Amazon Prime. Evidently the "artful" was meant to trigger thoughts of Hieronymous Bosch...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:56 pm I found it odd that the correct responses for the detective category went: James Patterson, Detective Bosch, Devil in a Blue Dress, Sue Grafton, Philip Marlowe. The 'tougher' responses seem a million times more famous than the 'easier' ones. I've never even heard of James Patterson or Detective Bosch.
James Patterson is one of the biggest-selling - and most prolific - authors of all time, with 114 NYTimes best sellers. I've never read any of his books, but it's hard to avoid knowing who he is. He appears in TV commercials for himself, and recently got much publicity for writing thrillers with Bill Clinton. Alex Cross has been played by Morgan Freeman in the movies. $200 is sensible placement.
I'm not as certain about Bosch - I didn't get that one - but it helps that the detective has appeared in a long-running series on Amazon Prime. Evidently the "artful" was meant to trigger thoughts of Hieronymous Bosch...
I also got all but Bosch, but if J! (as it often seems to) considers older stuff ipso facto more difficult/valuable, that's fine by me.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:41 pm It does seem lucky - both as a clue and as a promotional device - that Mack knew it.
While it's not clear to me what would have been in it for Jeopardy! parent Sony to promote Disney+ in the Friday, November 12th game, or Disney-owned National Geographic in the following game, it is clear why Sony would want to promote the Beatles. After Michael Jackson's death, Sony owns 100% of the Lennon-McCartney catalog publishing rights, and they stand to profit from royalties on continued Beatles sales and licensing.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:38 pm
davey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:41 pm It does seem lucky - both as a clue and as a promotional device - that Mack knew it.
While it's not clear to me what would have been in it for Jeopardy! parent Sony to promote Disney+ in the Friday, November 12th game, or Disney-owned National Geographic in the following game, it is clear why Sony would want to promote the Beatles. After Michael Jackson's death, Sony owns 100% of the Lennon-McCartney catalog publishing rights, and they stand to profit from royalties on continued Beatles sales and licensing.
Corporate synergy? J! is aired on many ABC/Disney stations...There was a whole category about Disney+ a couple of weeks ago and now a clue about a show that premieres there this week. Maybe these are coincidences...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:10 pm There was a whole category about Disney+ a couple of weeks ago and now a clue about a show that premieres there this week. Maybe these are coincidences...
The Disney+ game was the first link in the post you quoted. My point was that Sony's interest in promoting the Beatles is evident; in promoting Disney+, not so much
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 pm
davey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:10 pm There was a whole category about Disney+ a couple of weeks ago and now a clue about a show that premieres there this week. Maybe these are coincidences...
The Disney+ game was the first link in the post you quoted. My point was that Sony's interest in promoting the Beatles is evident; in promoting Disney+, not so much
My point was that it keeps happening, in a short period of time.