Wednesday, November 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AWARDS & HONORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
First awarded in 1731 to electricity pioneer Stephen Gray, the Copley Medal is awarded annually by this organization

Amy Schneider: 26400+11000=37400 (6x = $207,800)
Madeline Hornsey: 6800-3800=3000
Dan Brady: 5200-2200=3000

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Royal Society (Madeline – Royal Academy) (Dan – Caldecott)

Daily Doubles
Amy: 400+1000
Dan: 1400+1000
Amy: 10400+4000

Coryats
Amy: 24200
Madeline: 6800
Dan: 6200

Combined: 37,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 7600
Madeline: 4000
Dan: 3000
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I can't believe it's been seven years since this game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The ouch stumper of the day was no one could connect Brandon Walsh and the Peach Pit for the TV show. :shock:

Ken missed his chance for some kind of ad lib with the double talk puzzle name in SHORTZ.

Ken seems to have some kind of superhero power other hosts don't have as Dan got another $1000 clue right and Ken called it out for 3 clues right and $3000 on the scoreboard. Does Ken tally contestant correct responses? Marks it on a sheet. In his head? Paid attention to the scores enough to see 1000+1000+1000? Whatever the method I was impressed to keep the game moving along while calling it out.

At DD3 Amy led 10400 to 7200 to 2800. $4000 left her vulnerable to trailing on a miss. Instead it was like some driving video game with a booster button from there til the end of the round.

The FJ! category had me play the precall game with Iron/Victoria Cross, Caldecott, Spingarn, Pritzker, BAFTA & César.

The FJ! clue had me face a little knowledge is a dangerous thing as I connected Copley to Boston. From there I was stumped for anything to guess until I wrote Boston Pops to have something on the paper. :oops: Yesterday I was in Europe when I needed NA. Today it was the reverse. 0/3 for the week has me feeling a tinge of Hammer frustration with the FJ! clues.

It was not until Ken gently let Madeline know she was incorrect that I realized what the correct response must be as I have had the correct name in some previous FJ! clues.

Superchamp status for Amy in a very skillful run so far and not getting stopped at five like other recent champs.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:54 pm Ken seems to have some kind of superhero power other hosts don't have as Dan got another $1000 clue right and Ken called it out for 3 clues right and $3000 on the scoreboard. Does Ken tally contestant correct responses? Marks it on a sheet. In his head?
Regular listeners of his podcast--or anyone that watched his games and tournaments and outings on other game shows--can appreciate that Ken has some serious mental math prowess.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Instaget FJ! for me today. I was surprised to see all 3 players hesitate before writing.

Another impressive moment from Ken: having enough mental clarity to rule Madeline incorrect for, "The Ambassador to France" instead of "the French Ambassador". I enjoyed the majority of the guest hosts, but even most of the ones I liked would not be perceptive enough to rule that response as incorrect. It's astounding to me that Sony's top decision-makers still don't realize that Ken is clearly the best candidate for this job.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanksgiving Eve complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7199

There may be a long delay tomorrow getting everything done with CBS airing a parade and football. Locast out of business eliminates the ABC early option.

Some rogue YTer with very early access is one hope for a miracle.

I don't know of any Zoom meetings with a person in the right ABC 11CT airing market that is doing a share screen while watching. :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm Thanksgiving Eve complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7199

There may be a long delay tomorrow getting everything done with CBS airing a parade and football. Locast out of business eliminates the ABC early option.

Some rogue YTer with very early access is one hope for a miracle.

I don't know of any Zoom meetings with a person in the right ABC 11CT airing market that is doing a share screen while watching. :D
You are welcome at my house for Thanksgiving but you won’t be able to watch Jeopardy tomorrow or Friday. There is a YouTube guy who has been posting episodes lately but it is probably only a matter of time before Sony’s lawyers find him.

Nothing for me on FJ. Amy keeps rolling along.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:54 pm The FJ! clue had me face a little knowledge is a dangerous thing as I connected Copley to Boston. From there I was stumped for anything to guess until I wrote Boston Pops to have something on the paper. :oops: Yesterday I was in Europe when I needed NA. Today it was the reverse. 0/3 for the week has me feeling a tinge of Hammer frustration with the FJ! clues.
I was able to get off the Copley red herring, knowing that Copley’s most famous portrait is of Paul Revere, about 40 years later. Got the answer but took way longer than 30 seconds.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Of course, I've heard of the Royal Society, but I was never going to come up with it. I just left it blank.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO Royal Society that I'm aware of. How the hell do you expect me to snap my streak?!

And why are they using all these fiendishly hard FJ!s lately? Are they over budget or something? New writer? Old writer with a grudge?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Does anyone know when the show was taped? I was wondering if it was before Senjutsu was released :twisted:
Is there anyone who did not know Shortz would involve the legendary cruciverbalist? :geek:
Didn't even go across the pond for FJ :oops:
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

DBear wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 pm Does anyone know when the show was taped?
Oct 4th.

I had the same Copley brain detour to Boston so I’m glad it wasn’t totally ridiculous, but it took me almost the entire think time to shake it loose and arrive at the right answer. It would have been questionable whether I could have gotten it written fully in time.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

1731 award for science which I assume is still awarded? (yes, now 290 years old). It has to be Royal Society. I'm not sure I wouldn't have said "British Royal Society", but I will take the benefit of the doubt. If he'd done his tinkering any earlier, then he'd probably have been burned as a witch :lol:. I read the Wiki since I've NHO Stephen Gray. He actually won the second Copley award as well (for induction) in 1732, but missed out on the big boom afterward and died a pauper.

I think Ken is really adding value to the show and keeping it pretty down low. I like the extra unscripted context which it is unlikely that even Alex could have contributed. I'm sure he will be caricatured as a know-it-all in months/years to come, but it will be unfair, just as it was for Alex and his foreign accents.

It seems like Amy plays about half the game against broken buzzers, then about half the game the others get to play a little. I'm glad she went Martian in FJ, it's time to rack up some coin.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

tddeveryday wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:24 pm Instaget FJ! for me today. I was surprised to see all 3 players hesitate before writing.

Another impressive moment from Ken: having enough mental clarity to rule Madeline incorrect for, "The Ambassador to France" instead of "the French Ambassador". I enjoyed the majority of the guest hosts, but even most of the ones I liked would not be perceptive enough to rule that response as incorrect. It's astounding to me that Sony's top decision-makers still don't realize that Ken is clearly the best candidate for this job.
That's, IMO, Ken's best attribute: he has the knowledge base to judge on the fly. Improv can be picked up faster than decades of study.
Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:44 pm I can't believe it's been seven years since this game.
And I missed it then too...but apparently I had a good excuse! ( viewtopic.php?p=122361#p122361 )
This time, well, 1730s seemed too late for a group that used to seat Newton so I tried thinking of some colonial group...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

FJ was asking for an early science organization. The only one I knew of from that era was The Royal Society.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 pm This time, well, 1730s seemed too late for a group that used to seat Newton so I tried thinking of some colonial group...
Considering that Newton died in 1726 or 1727, I can’t see why that would be a problem. Having read many articles from the Proceedings, this was close to an Instaget.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:29 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 pm This time, well, 1730s seemed too late for a group that used to seat Newton so I tried thinking of some colonial group...
Considering that Newton died in 1726 or 1727, I can’t see why that would be a problem. Having read many articles from the Proceedings, this was close to an Instaget.
To try clarifying train of thought, "It took them 70 years to start handing out awards to themselves? Figured they would've been doing that much sooner."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I've always thought it unfortunate that Rosalind Franklin never won the Copley medal because if she had, one could write a really neat question about two Franklins who had both won the Copley medal.
I'm smart and I want respect.