Power Players announced

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Power Players announced

Post by barandall800 »

bpmod wrote:
barandall800 wrote:Also, I seem to be part of the miniscule percentage of boardies that's actually excited for this...ah, well.
I'm not excited because it's happening; I'm excited because I'll be there.

Brian
Fair enough.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

barandall800 wrote: Also, I seem to be part of the miniscule percentage of boardies that's actually excited for this...ah, well.
I guess I'm just disappointed in the missed opportunity on J!'s part.
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

dhkendall wrote:
And, call me optimistic/idealistic/idiotic, but I don't think the Power Players will "ham it up" as much as recent contestants (although I'm picking Kareem to be the Isaac Mizrahi of the tourney, I think most will play it serious.)
Then again, it could be worse ... remember Franken vs. Olbermann on the last Power Players Week?

Anybody know how many taping sessions are scheduled Saturday? Just wondering if there will be one, two or three games in the A.M.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Going by memory, there are three tapings. I'm only able to go to the first one.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Fleeboy wrote:Anybody know how many taping sessions are scheduled Saturday? Just wondering if there will be one, two or three games in the A.M.
Two shows taping at 10 am. Two shows taping at 3:30 pm. One show taping at 7:45 pm.

Rex
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Thanks, Rex.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

So, I take it our usual rule about not bashing the contestants does not apply to the Power Players?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Miss Mellie wrote:So, I take it our usual rule about not bashing the contestants does not apply to the Power Players?
It's encouraged, actually. :)
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

Actually, I believe that Anderson Cooper lurks on this board. ;)
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Creed Bratton wrote:Actually, I believe that Anderson Cooper lurks on this board. ;)
If it were true, that would be awesome.

I'll be at the 3:30 taping (the kiddo is psyched for Kareem -- though he thought he could get his autograph, I said that's not happening), and a friend who just auditioned Monday will be at the 7:45 taping (and I hope maybe someone could give him tips on how to practice the buzzer, which he asked about? I am definitely not the one who should help with that, as it was a problem for me).
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Fleeboy:

Then again, it could be worse ... remember Franken vs. Olbermann on the last Power Players Week?

Anybody know how many taping sessions are scheduled Saturday? Just wondering if there will be one, two or three games in the A.M.[/quote]

Sounds like a match made in Hell! I generally don't watch these celeb J! things & I'll probably skip 4 out of 5 of these.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Fleeboy wrote:Just saw this via the L.A. Times:

The celebrities, appearing on "Jeopardy's" special week of shows being taped in DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C., will include CNN's Anderson Cooper, former L.A. Laker Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Fox News' Chris Wallace, comedian Lewis Black, CNBC's David Faber, the New York Times' Thomas Friedman, former White House press secretaries Robert Gibbs and Dana Perino, BBC's Katty Kay, MSNBC's Chris Matthews, NBC News' Kelly O'Donnell and Chuck Todd, CNN's Lizzie O'Leary, Dr. Mehmet Oz and the Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page.

PLEASE let Lewis Black be at the early taping Saturday!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... pardy.html

Twas hoping to see Bill O'Reilly, Tony Kornheiser, Tony "StatBoy" Reali, or Rachel Maddow amongst the "Power Players". But it wasn't meant to be.
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Twas hoping to see Bill O'Reilly, Tony Kornheiser, Tony "StatBoy" Reali, or Rachel Maddow amongst the "Power Players". But it wasn't meant to be.
Haha, I had to laugh as I was reading this while watching Pardon the Interruption. :lol:
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Twas hoping to see Bill O'Reilly, Tony Kornheiser, Tony "StatBoy" Reali, or Rachel Maddow amongst the "Power Players". But it wasn't meant to be.
Alex: Ooh, sorry. It was "George Washington.". Washington was the first President of the United States.

Bill O'Reilly: Well, Alex, you are entitled to your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrongheaded it may be. Now, in my opinion, Ronald Reagan was the first President, but if your "world view" makes you say "Washington", then we'll just have to agree to disagree.
alamble

Post by alamble »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Fleeboy wrote:Just saw this via the L.A. Times:

The celebrities, appearing on "Jeopardy's" special week of shows being taped in DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C., will include CNN's Anderson Cooper, former L.A. Laker Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Fox News' Chris Wallace, comedian Lewis Black, CNBC's David Faber, the New York Times' Thomas Friedman, former White House press secretaries Robert Gibbs and Dana Perino, BBC's Katty Kay, MSNBC's Chris Matthews, NBC News' Kelly O'Donnell and Chuck Todd, CNN's Lizzie O'Leary, Dr. Mehmet Oz and the Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page.

PLEASE let Lewis Black be at the early taping Saturday!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... pardy.html

Twas hoping to see Bill O'Reilly, Tony Kornheiser, Tony "StatBoy" Reali, or Rachel Maddow amongst the "Power Players". But it wasn't meant to be.
I love TK, but he would be a terrible Jeopardy! contestant.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For those attending, I will be at the 5:00 taping tonight and the 10:00 tomorrow morning.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Brief report and I'll avoid spoilers: Very enjoyable time; watching a taping is always plenty of fun. This was the two final games of the Teen Tournament, and both games were well-played and exciting. Alex took lots of questions from the audience. I got a Maggie hug and spoke with Robert, met Eddie Timanus and Raynell Cooper; got my picture taken with Sarah (just to taunt Heels); and congratulated the parents of the winner who were (understandably) quite happy. Very large audience in DAR Constitution Hall. My favorite part was Alex totally blowing a clue: The clue was in "B" Geography, and the clue was a visual clue with "This town south of Jerusalem" and an arrow pointing, but instead of Jerusalem, he said "Bethlehem". He tried to keep going, but at that point everyone jumped up and they stopped taping for a while. He claimed that he hasn't done that for years and almost never does that. More later.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:Brief report and I'll avoid spoilers: Very enjoyable time; watching a taping is always plenty of fun. This was the two final games of the Teen Tournament, and both games were well-played and exciting. Alex took lots of questions from the audience. I got a Maggie hug and spoke with Robert, met Eddie Timanus and Raynell Cooper; got my picture taken with Sarah (just to taunt Heels); and congratulated the parents of the winner who were (understandably) quite happy. Very large audience in DAR Constitution Hall. My favorite part was Alex totally blowing a clue: The clue was in "B" Geography, and the clue was a visual clue with "This town south of Jerusalem" and an arrow pointing, but instead of Jerusalem, he said "Bethlehem". He tried to keep going, but at that point everyone jumped up and they stopped taping for a while. He claimed that he hasn't done that for years and almost never does that. More later.
Arrgghh!!

I missed you. I met Raynell, Eddie and Maggie, though. I also spoke to Sarah & Kelly, but no pictures.

Overall, a FANTASTIC TIME!!!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
yruey
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by yruey »

Any idea on the odd of one person (me...especially since I doubt I can get a friend to try something possibly futile with me) possibly getting in without a prior ticket? I couldn't get one (I procrastinated in trying to pick up the mail in thing) and asked Richard to hook me up on Tuesday (at my J! interview), but he was only able to suggest that I lurk around and try my luck tomorrow.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

yruey wrote:Any idea on the odd of one person (me...especially since I doubt I can get a friend to try something possibly futile with me) possibly getting in without a prior ticket? I couldn't get one (I procrastinated in trying to pick up the mail in thing) and asked Richard to hook me up on Tuesday (at my J! interview), but he was only able to suggest that I lurk around and try my luck tomorrow.
I know that they were moving people from the general admission area to the VIP area to make the house look fuller on TV. So there is always a chance they will admit you if the doors are about to close and they still have room. I ran into a group (of College kids) yesterday who said they had a whole bunch of tickets they couldn't give away because nobody was interested. I suggested they try to give them away near the door. Maybe there'll be somebody in that situation today.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.