Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had no idea that "sister city" was a formal designation. I thought it was just something that cities put on their city limits signs to look cool.

Couldn't make anything out of "partner states" or "words in French that I don't recognize".

What's even the point anymore?
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Many congrats to Amy for withstanding a rare (for her) serious challenge and hanging in there to win #10. Most impressive.

I struggled with FJ for about half the Think Music time, then managed to piece together linguistically just enough to come up with the right response. Whew.

Fun Fact: Cleveland does not have a sister city, but we do have a suicide pact with Detroit.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Well played, MasterCone, sorry the result wasn't what you wanted. I hope you're holding your head high for giving one of the best ever a serious challenge. Loved the intensity and strategy. LOVED the FJ bet, I would've done the same thing on stage.

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:46 pm
The FJ! clue had me clueless and I wrote Amnesty to have something to go with International. My French/German translating was not working to give me any hints though even if I had been spotted the 2nd word I might have still missed it.

Archive note: Player pics are working, not that I had anything to do with it. I have no idea how back it goes, though did see it for some S37 as well.
Same as you, just couldn't get the gears spinning fast enough.

Some pictures for S32-36 as well, but not all as indicated by my two minutes of random clicking (S32 I think lines up with a J! website redesign, IIRC?). Props to whoever got that working.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:06 pm I had no idea that "sister city" was a formal designation. I thought it was just something that cities put on their city limits signs to look cool.

Couldn't make anything out of "partner states" or "words in French that I don't recognize".

What's even the point anymore?
December is a new month. Things will turn around. Meanwhile, you have accomplished a rare--dare I say unprecedented?-- feat. We'll be talking about November 2022 for years to come.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:58 pm SOUNDS SERIOUS $400: Cutis anserina is nothing to worry about; it's just this "fowl" reaction to cold or fear

Amy was negged for chicken skin. Google turns it up. Bad judging? Nothing in the category or clue seems to limit it to what was rebounded (my response) correctly. Didn't matter in the end, though surprised by it.
I wondered about that too and am glad Pam was able to give us a behind-the-scenes scoop and to explain the ruling. I assume Ken was prepared to accept my response of goose pimples or goose flesh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:22 pm]
December is a new month. Things will turn around. Meanwhile, you have accomplished a rare--dare I say unprecedented?-- feat. We'll be talking about November 2022 for years to come.
The saddest part is, this isn't even remotely close to my longest losing streak...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:27 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:22 pm]
The saddest part is, this isn't even remotely close to my longest losing streak...
Come on, seriously? What's your record? When did it happen?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:53 pm Great job, Pam. You didn’t seem fazed at all by a nine-day champ as you blew through the first round like Sherman through Georgia. (Keeping with the Civil War theme). I also had “apex and I don’t know” for the DD.
I had apex and... ... ... convex? Best I could do.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D :( Apex & vertex were instagets to a math guy like myself, but I couldn't pull sister cities out of that FJ.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Lach Trash: King Leonidas, Maximus, P.G.T. Beauregard

Didn't know the translations on FJ.

Good game, Pam! Strong performance against a strong champion.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:29 pm Come on, seriously? What's your record? When did it happen?
I'm not sure of exactly how many it was, but I had a stupidly long losing streak between about December 2017 and February 2018. At the very least, I do know that it covered the entirety of January and at least two full weeks of February. And even that probably wasn't my longest.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got 11/22 in November.
davey

Post by davey »

An interesting FJ because the 3 languages use 3 different idioms. The category was a strong pointer but I was at first hesitant because I knew French for sister is soeur, and I didn't know jumelées is twinned. But concentrating on villes and Partner and guessing at Städte made it close to WECIB..
The clue may not be quoting the names, but for purposes of transcription German nouns are always capitalized, so I think it should be Partnerstädte.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:29 pm Come on, seriously? What's your record? When did it happen?
Did some more digging. My timing was slightly off.

I got 12/29/17 right, and then had a losing streak stretching from 1/1/18 to 3/21/18. That's the longest losing streak I'm aware of.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Pam, that was a hell of an impressive performance against a very strong champion. I was right with you in getting apex quickly and then floundering for the second -ex word. FJ was close to an Instaget, helped immeasurably by mr knowledge of what Städt and Ville mean.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Great job, MasterCone! I was clutching my own imaginary pearls!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Congrats on a valiant match, MasterCone. I'm hanging my head with the Penguin, but gotta give Amy her due. It's a bummer that a question referencing cones had to be the pivot point for the Master of Cones :roll: , but wordplay questions are tough. I don't like multiple response questions at any point in the game - even if you have extra time in DD's or FJ. Wordplay and multiple answers shouldn't happen in the blind questions. I had vertex and would never have gotten apex - it just isn't typically used in analytic geometry (in my experience). Apex is used to describe golf shots (approx. parabolic trajectories). And the other DD was just "name a large state that's not one of the equal size states".

I'm glad KJ outed you for being an elite Master's athlete. Here in the Midwest I've never even seen a game of squash (we pronounce it "squorsh") but it does sound like fun :lol: . The best thing about Master's athletics (I just hung up the PV poles last year) is the friendships you make at the events, but being top ten ain't shabby either.

No chance on FJ. I think it's a nice clue. The apex/vertex clue, not so much.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My sorta precall paid off...idly thought, "Wonder if it'll involve Hiroshima's sister cities..."
cookie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:04 pm FJ was tricky for me, in the sense that I came up with "twin cities" instead of sister cities. I associated "jum-" in French with jumeaux (twins) and jumeler (to pair up).
Incidentally, "twin -towns-" (not cities) is acceptable if anyone came up with that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Fantastic job, MasterCone! Sorry you didn't win, but you played great. :D
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

What a great game - MasterCone played with the right strategy.
Knew apex and vertex. Got FJ from “villes” - making the jump from cities to sister cities.
Disappointed the Selena Gomez clue was a triple stumper- Only Murders in the Building is a very fun show