Thursday, December 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Re: Thursday, December 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peachbox »

Second time this week I see a clue on something I had planned for a future TD. :shock:
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 pm
Spoiler
I'm old enough to remember singing along to this silly song back in '59 or '60 when it was on the radio all the time, probably competing with Bobby Rydel, Bobby Vee, Bobby Vinton and many more teen idols for primacy on the top ten or at least the top forty. Back then, I don't remember anyone taking offense as to the "humorous" lyrics, but listening to it now, after 60 years or so, I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't yet evoked any outrage here as to how "offensive" it is. Well, I guess it is that, but I can't help but laugh at how silly it was and is. And you gotta love the back up singers! Forgive me, but I do miss those days (sometimes).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:45 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:37 pm Two rulings I wish went differently. Jessica pronounced it "unk-CHUSS" but unctuous has three syllables.
We're overdrawn on U's from people mispronouncing "nuptial"; we've got to make cutbacks somewhere!
Ha ha. Totally agree. :lol:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Too many superchamps this season. They used to be special. Now it's one superchamp after another.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 pm Those were big moves on wagering clues for Amy today and if floridagator want to call hubris on DD3 with 9000 of 19400 with 2nd at 3800 then that will be closer than previous times the term has been used. A miss by Amy and a get by Sinnott on the next clue would suddenly have a sure win a lot more interesting even though Amy would still win by the end of things.
Quite the contrary, I saw that DD opportunity as free money and I suspect Amy did as well. I really thought she might go even bigger. If you know the periodic table reasonably well and you know...words, how hard could this be? Even in a bottom row DD it wasn't like they were gonna throw Praseodymium at you.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:02 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:37 pm unctuous has three syllables
M-W has two two-syllable variants. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unctuous
I stand corrected. In addition to that, the dictionary I used was Lexico, but I misread their pronunciation guide. 2 and 3 syllables are both acceptable there too.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

tddeveryday wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:47 am I stand corrected. In addition to that, the dictionary I used was Lexico, but I misread their pronunciation guide. 2 and 3 syllables are both acceptable there too.
I still feel "Garfield" has three syllables
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:13 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 pm Those were big moves on wagering clues for Amy today and if floridagator want to call hubris on DD3 with 9000 of 19400 with 2nd at 3800 then that will be closer than previous times the term has been used. A miss by Amy and a get by Sinnott on the next clue would suddenly have a sure win a lot more interesting even though Amy would still win by the end of things.
Quite the contrary, I saw that DD opportunity as free money and I suspect Amy did as well. I really thought she might go even bigger. If you know the periodic table reasonably well and you know...words, how hard could this be? Even in a bottom row DD it wasn't like they were gonna throw Praseodymium at you.
She had cruised through the category so I didn’t think a $9,000 wager was particularly risky.

Instaget FJ. Never considered anyone else.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Exactly. That's an "all-in-and-I don't-even-have-to-think-about-it" wager.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:28 pm
Exactly. That's an "all-in-and-I don't-even-have-to-think-about-it" wager.
And it turned out that DD was just about the easiest clue in the category...
davey

Post by davey »

mrparadise wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:06 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 pm
Spoiler
I'm old enough to remember singing along to this silly song back in '59 or '60 when it was on the radio all the time, probably competing with Bobby Rydel, Bobby Vee, Bobby Vinton and many more teen idols for primacy on the top ten or at least the top forty. Back then, I don't remember anyone taking offense as to the "humorous" lyrics, but listening to it now, after 60 years or so, I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't yet evoked any outrage here as to how "offensive" it is. Well, I guess it is that, but I can't help but laugh at how silly it was and is. And you gotta love the back up singers! Forgive me, but I do miss those days (sometimes).
Never having heard this before, with that insistent percussion, the performer's bug eyes, and the weird echo in the vocal, I find this not offensive (or funny) but utterly creepy...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Pop Culture-Pourri $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I wasn't around in 1960, but I remember "Mr. Custer" from Wacky Favorites, a 2-CD collection of novelty tunes sold in 1993. I got it for Christmas, perhaps the first Christmas I got a CD player.

And, yeah, the song probably wouldn't be resold today without "wrong then, wrong now" content advisory like you see on Disney+.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I have a Dr. Demento 25th anniversary compilation that has "Mr. Custer" on it. It was one of the more forgettable songs for preteen/teenage me (though I can at least quote it; "Second Week of Deer Camp" and "Leader of the Laundromat" are forgotten entirely, if I ever knew them beyond the title in the first place).
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:11 am I wasn't around in 1960, but I remember "Mr. Custer" from Wacky Favorites, a 2-CD collection of novelty tunes sold in 1993. I got it for Christmas, perhaps the first Christmas I got a CD player.

And, yeah, the song probably wouldn't be resold today without "wrong then, wrong now" content advisory like you see on Disney+.
I'm assuming you mean the "Mr. Custer" song - I didn't think Alan Sherman's camp parody was a problem. My seven-year-old grandchild just discovered it and can't get enough of it - she loves song parodies.