Friday, December 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, December 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:32 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:29 pm I was surprised by the Sleepy Hollow = Tarreytown TS. That seems like one of those chestnuts.
Tarrytown, but no change in pronunciation, so you're still good. :)
It's always the ones I think I know that end up getting me. If I hadn't been sure, I'd have looked it up.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:30 pm Judges:. Gatling gun for machine gun? :?:
That would be a tough one, but I'd lean toward no since a Gatling gun is a very specific weapon.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Lach Trash: The Rookie, The Right Stuff, The Razor's Edge, Duke of Wellington

FJ: :mrgreen:
yclept

Post by yclept »

doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:24 pm Andrew sticking to that Quaid category shows lack of strategy. Unlikely DD category. Just seemed like the contestants gave up midway through DJ.

I don't seem to recall any Shakespeare categories during Amy's run so far. That should be easy for her.

If Amy starts hunting for DDs it will be a nightmare to beat her.

Not too keen on the tournament, mostly because of the host. Hopefully she will keep the non-gameplay chatter to a minimum. Not sure what's the deal with Ken not getting the job.
This was so funny and weird to me. The category is VERY specific, so to choose it first is essentially saying “I know everything about Dennis Quaid movies!” Whoops!

And, let’s say you are a challenger to a super champ and a category comes up that is 100% your wheelhouse….even if it likely doesn’t contain a DD, you could try to accumulate a lot of money in that category before going DD hunting.

Alas, the category may have just been called “The Easiest Football Category Ever”, given how the contestants knew nothing.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

yclept wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:37 am This was so funny and weird to me. The category is VERY specific, so to choose it first is essentially saying “I know everything about Dennis Quaid movies!” Whoops!
Maybe this is the category he was hoping for:

$400: "Zero defects" astronaut-turned-innernaut Tuck Pendleton

$800: Jerry Lee Lewis, in a biopic titled for a hit song & that ends with an exclamation point

$1200: Sir Bowen, dragonslayer turned dragon-ally

$1600: 1969 firefighter Frank Sullivan, who gets life-saving radio messages from his son in the future

$2000: Marooned astronaut Davidge, stuck on a planet with Drac, an alien from hostile forces
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Peachbox wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:53 pm Didn't pick up properly on the word "fulfills" and went with Habitat for Humanity.
My wife also went with Habitat, while I zeroed in on the correct response rather quickly. As someone noted earlier, "fulfills" was the key word for me.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

FJ: I thought a lot and let too much time pass. Like Brooke, I was going for Feed the Children, but I was only able to write down "Feed the."

Amy reminds me of Jennifer Quail in that they both select clues in the traditional way, DD wagers are minimal, and FJ wagers are maximal. This is also a very common Jeopardy! player type, but it's probably rare these days to see a ToC frontrunner dominate without an advanced strategy.

Someone posted an exceptionally interesting table on Reddit today comparing Amy and Matt Amodio. Based on their first 13 games, Amy is either neck-and-neck with Matt's stats or she's actually outperforming him by a lot.

I wish the person who created the table had also included a separate column for Matt's complete run. (I'm too lazy to do it myself.) But this is still good stuff.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:40 am
yclept wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:37 am This was so funny and weird to me. The category is VERY specific, so to choose it first is essentially saying “I know everything about Dennis Quaid movies!” Whoops!
Maybe this is the category he was hoping for:
Spoiler
$400: "Zero defects" astronaut-turned-innernaut Tuck Pendleton

$800: Jerry Lee Lewis, in a biopic titled for a hit song & that ends with an exclamation point

$1200: Sir Bowen, dragonslayer turned dragon-ally

$1600: 1969 firefighter Frank Sullivan, who gets life-saving radio messages from his son in the future

$2000: Marooned astronaut Davidge, stuck on a planet with Drac, an alien from hostile forces
I went 4/5 on the actual clues, 3/5 on this set. If the $2k clue had been a DD, I would've picked it up with a correct guess, but I wouldn't have rung in on it.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

This is one of the FJ! clues that I knew from a weird place. Recently I had watched a video about Critikal and his YouTube history, and how he used to donate his earnings to charity until he lost his job and couldn't afford to anymore. The video also included a clip where he talked about how many charities are corrupt.
I did a bit of reading about bad charities out of curiosity, and it turns out many of the worst offenders are knockoffs of Make-A-Wish.
Two days later, this clue comes up.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:09 pm Chuck E. Cheese was originally a rat but was retconned into being a mouse
Well, originally a coyote but they got a rat costume, which became a mouse because focus groups.
Peachbox wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:53 pm Didn't pick up properly on the word "fulfills" and went with Habitat for Humanity.
I think the bigger clue is the org. in question is domestic; Habitat is international. But that '~30 minutes' still messed with me and I stuck with Habitat anyway
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/how- ... e-1.435574
Every 30 minutes, somewhere in the world, Habitat for Humanity (HFH) volunteers hand over the keys of a brand new home.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

tddeveryday wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:42 am Amy reminds me of Jennifer Quail in that they both select clues in the traditional way, DD wagers are minimal, and FJ wagers are maximal. This is also a very common Jeopardy! player type, but it's probably rare these days to see a ToC frontrunner dominate without an advanced strategy.
Does anyone else get the feeling that Amy is unbeatable on the signaling device? I think that might be a big factor.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:40 pm Does anyone else get the feeling that Amy is unbeatable on the signaling device? I think that might be a big factor.
I have an idea for eliminating the advantage of buzzer speed. Any of the three players who ring in during a 2-second window will have a chance to be selected to answer by computer randomization. If two players ring in during that 2-second window, each player has a 50/50 chance of being selected by the computer. That sounds a lot fairer to me than the way it's currently set up. Everyone who has an opinion on buzzer speed seems to hate it. [This turned out to be inaccurate.]
Last edited by tddeveryday on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

tddeveryday wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:00 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:40 pm Does anyone else get the feeling that Amy is unbeatable on the signaling device? I think that might be a big factor.
I have an idea for eliminating the advantage of buzzer speed. Any of the three players who ring in during a 2-second window will have a chance to be selected to answer by computer randomization. If two players ring in during that 2-second window, each player has a 50/50 chance of being selected by the computer. That sounds a lot fairer to me than the way it's currently set up. Everyone who has an opinion on buzzer speed seems to hate it.
WTF? It’s not fair because a contestant currently appears to be really good at it? Good at a skill that is paramount to the game being played? Seriously?

Tom Brady is too good at throwing the football, so the NFL is going to force him to run the ball based on computer randomization. Steph Curry is too good at shooting so the NBA is going to force him to pass the ball based on computer randomization.

How about this, really good players in various competitive endeavors deserve to win because they have worked their asses off honing their craft.

Now, where can I send you a participation medal?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:12 pm
I have an idea for eliminating the advantage of buzzer speed. Any of the three players who ring in during a 2-second window will have a chance to be selected to answer by computer randomization. If two players ring in during that 2-second window, each player has a 50/50 chance of being selected by the computer. That sounds a lot fairer to me than the way it's currently set up. Everyone who has an opinion on buzzer speed seems to hate it.
WTF? It’s not fair because a contestant currently appears to be really good at it? Good at a skill that is paramount to the game being played? Seriously?
Yeah, I agree. It's a critical skill in the game and should stay that way.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Harrison Bergeron was not intended to be a how-to guide.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

She’s not lol. But extremely good, yes.

I suspect the zoom auditions and having a lot of contestants who have only auditioned online and never held the signaling device before they arrive at the studio is a bit of a factor. I had at least used it before twice in live auditions
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Golf wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:35 pm How about this, really good players in various competitive endeavors deserve to win because they have worked their asses off honing their craft.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:35 pm Yeah, I agree. It's a critical skill in the game and should stay that way.
I'm surprised that some people do want buzzer speed to remain an important factor. But a 10+xer is naturally going to have a timing advantage because of their experience. I'm okay with players gaining an advantage in other ways, like hunting, wagering skills, or just concentrating your studying on the most advantageous subjects. I hate the importance buzzer speed, but I think all other ways to prepare and make yourself better are fair game.

ETA: My biggest issue with buzzer speed is that it's the most luck-based aspect and it's the thing that's most likely to crush a worthy competitor in game 1. It's just never sat well with me.
Volante wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:24 pm Harrison Bergeron was not intended to be a how-to guide.
Seriously, thank you so much for the Harrison Bergeron reference. I read that short story back in college. I've thought about it a lot more in recent years, but I couldn't reread it because I forgot the title. (I knew it was Vonnegut, though.) Now I can, so thanks.
Last edited by tddeveryday on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

The suggestions about limiting the effect of buzzer speed read, to me, like removing the effect of conditioning on a sport like basketball. Maybe we just stop the clock after each made basket, and play a half-court possession every time.

We could always just hand all three players a sheet with the questions, have them write their answers, then grade them during commercials. That would make for a fun game and awesome tv.

On another note, maybe Amy’s play demonstrates that the bottom-up, DD-hunting strategy isn’t necessarily ‘advanced’.
Golf

Post by Golf »

tddeveryday wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:52 pm
Golf wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:35 pm How about this, really good players in various competitive endeavors deserve to win because they have worked their asses off honing their craft.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:35 pm Yeah, I agree. It's a critical skill in the game and should stay that way.
I'm surprised that some people do want buzzer speed to remain an important factor. But a 10+xer is naturally going to have a timing advantage because of their experience. I'm okay with players gaining an advantage in other ways, like hunting, wagering skills, or just concentrating your studying on the most advantageous subjects. I hate the importance buzzer speed, but I think all other ways to prepare and make yourself better are fair game.

ETA: My biggest issue with buzzer speed is that it's the most luck-based aspect and it's the thing that's most likely to crush a worthy competitor in game 1. It's just never sat well with me.
You’re surprised? I believe if you conducted a poll over 90% of boardies wouldn’t change a thing when it comes to the signaling device. Your opinion is the extreme minority.

Timing is in no way luck based, it is a skill that can be practiced and learned. Why do you think so many successful contestants practiced with a mock up for countless hours before appearing on the show?

It’s simply one of many strategic concepts that most contestants never consider important. No different than DD hunting, wagering skills, world capitals, etc. And it shows when they are on stage.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:19 pm Why do you think so many successful contestants practiced with a mock up for countless hours before appearing on the show?
That sounds like selection bias to me. Do you know how many unsuccessful contestants did the same thing? I imagine it's not an inconsequential amount, but they don't get asked about their training regimens.