FJs for the 11/29/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/29/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:57 pm

Its first line says, "The good people of Paris were awakened by a grand peal from all the bells in the three districts of the city"
91%
The organization these International was founded in 1956; they're Partnerstädte in Germany & villes jumelées in France
60%
A recent immigrant, Lady Denman, wife of the governor-general, announced the name of this new national capital at a 1913 ceremony
62%
Bismarck Tribune correspondent Mark Kellogg died June 25, 1876 while on a field assignment covering this man
87%
In the U.S. & its territories, this nonprofit whose roots trace to 1980 fulfills a word in its name every 34 minutes  
35%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
PLAY CHARACTERS $800: In "Pygmalion" this professor of phonetics has his laboratory on Wimpole Street
82%
THE CIVIL WAR $1200: After a 47-day siege, this Mississippi River port fell to Union troops on July 4, 1863
58%
WEIGHTS & MEASURE $2000: In Great Britain, body weight is often reckoned in stones, with one stone equal to this many pounds
64%
Les Misérables was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
4%
I have read The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
2%
ENDS IN "EX" $1600 box DD: In math, these 2 words are often used interchangeably for the top point of a figure, like a cone - I got "apex" & "vertex" to correctly solve it.
38%
ENDS IN "EX" $1600 box DD: In math, these 2 words are often used interchangeably for the top point of a figure, like a cone - I got "apex" only to miss it.
42%
ENDS IN "EX" $1600 box DD: In math, these 2 words are often used interchangeably for the top point of a figure, like a cone - I got "vertex" only to miss it.
5%
The German name "Partnerstädte" was more helpful to me to solve the Tuesday FJ! clue.
21%
The French name "villes jumelées" was more helpful to me to solve the Tuesday FJ! clue.
21%
I only got as far as "Cities" for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
New Delhi was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
12%
Brasilia was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
6%
Oops, I figured out Australia for the Wednesday FJ! clue though had the wrong city.
No votes
Habitat for Humanity was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
22%

Total votes: 85

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: FJs for the 11/29/21 week

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Worst week in a while, and it started so well. Missed Wednesday's FJ that's currently at 74% and Thursday's that's at 88%. If I'd gotten at least one of those, it'd be easier to swalow missing the 39% clue that rounded out the week.

19th CENTURY LITERATURE + Paris + Bells = instaget. Sympathies to those who stopped at the first two and ended up Miserables.

Sister Cities was a pretty quick get since that's a well that J! returns to off and on. Spent the rest of the music examining the German and the French to make sure they made good sense with my guess. They were both equally helpful.

Got stuck in Ottawa on Wednesday, even though I knew it couldn't be coming up again so soon. So in desperation I said Amsterdam. Ok, just kidding. I finally pried my mind off Ottawa to think of other British Commonwealth places, but had only gotten as far as Bermuda and Barbados when the music ran out. Didn't even have time to think of a capital and "write" it down. So Ottawa ended up my official guess since I hadn't crossed it out. If I'd had time to make a guess, I think I'd have said Nassau since I know it's a capital of one of those Caribbean island places, even if it's not Bermuda or Barbados.

Completely derped on Custer. I understood that Bismarck area + 1876 should bring something to mind, but I just blanked. Couldn't even get as far as the respectable Hickok miss. He died about 5 weeks after Custer and IN DAKOTA TERRITORY, which makes him pretty negbait-y in my opinion. (Was Little Big Horn also in Dakota Territory? I can't tell.) But 88% in the poll for Custer suggests I'm wrong. I think I ended up saying Grant, who was still serving as president in 1876, in desperation.

Amnesty International. Couldn't think of anything better.

For the professor of phonetics I said Colonel Pickering just to be funny, but would've got the clue correct under game conditions. I used to know pretty much every word to every song from that soundtrack--London recording, not Broadway. Lot of people say Rex was better on the Broadway version, but I imprinted on the London so that's the one I like. But mostly they sound identical to me. I do agree that "Heavens, what a noise" (Broadway) has more of an edge to it than "Heavens what a sound" (London). In any event, the important thing is that it wasn't the movie soundtrack so it did have Julie Andrews. No offense to Marni Nixon who did a terrific job on everything she set her vocal cords to, but this is an accept-no-substitutes kind of situation.

Didn't guess on the Civil War clue. Mrs P got it right before I could come up with anything. I recognized that she was correct and that I almost certainly wouldn't have got there in time, so a fairly clean clam on this one. That sounds vulgar.

I've finally begun to retain what a "stone" is after looking it up many times. I'm curious about the clue's wording of "often reckoned in stones". I wonder if our friends across the pond would put it that way or would say "reckoned in stone". After all, one weighs 11 stone, not 11 stones. (Well, not me personally since 1986 or so.) But "reckoned in stone" sounds odd, probably because of its similarity to "written in stone". I bet the Brits would just rewrite the whole clue somehow.

I've started The Hunchback of Notre Dame at least twice. I enjoy it but somehow I never get very far before finding something else to read.

Apex, no vertex. Convex was the best I could do as time ran out.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My 2/5 matches yours, opus. So you're in mediocre company.
RetiredDoc
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RetiredDoc »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks to high school French (and some knowledge of Spanish), villes jumelees is what got me to sister cities
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(
jumelées positively hindered my response...I'd say the other words were equally helpful...
Apex not vertex...
For the stone clue, 20 came out of my mouth, and I immediately knew it was wrong, I should have said 12... :oops: I guess I should have kept quiet...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:48 pm (Was Little Big Horn also in Dakota Territory? I can't tell.)
In 1876 it was not, though it was from 1861-1863 (then it ended up in Idaho Territory for a year before Montana Territory was established)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Belmopan on Wednesday; former British possession with capital that was moved to a new city. Off by half a century, though. Thought process for Friday was "hmm, every 34 minutes is nearly 50 times a day; what nonprofit does something in its name 18,000 times a year?" Then the thought process ended at a brick wall.

For the extra questions -- anyone else say out loud 'enry 'iggens?

For some reason, remembered "stone" as a British weight unit because of Watson and Holmes.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What the hell do you THINK I got right?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(