Monday, December 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, December 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:01 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:43 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:32 pm The only Dutch word I know is "stroopwafel", so that was of no help here.
It's a good one to know!
(and to be fair, you know a lot of Dutch words -- you just don't realize that they are: arm, glass, hand, is, stop, water and many more! :))
Not Dutch, but fun fact: "My hand is in warm water" is spelled exactly the same and means the same thing in English and Afrikaans.
Dutch is close; only the first word is different: Mijn.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right (too late on Jackie Fuchs' group by a few seconds)

Lach Trash: sugar glider

FJ: :( (said Cubism)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Strangely, $200 was my only miss in Lesser-Known Marsupials. I could have stared at that all day and literally never gotten "cat". Poll request time, since it's been a while.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Is there a name for the constant FJ format of late where X thing is this and that in two other languages?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Picked Off wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:58 pm Is there a name for the constant FJ format of late where X thing is this and that in two other languages?
I'll propose the name Rosetta clue.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 pm
Picked Off wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:58 pm Is there a name for the constant FJ format of late where X thing is this and that in two other languages?
I'll propose the name Rosetta clue.
Love it. 🎯
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I wanted to say this exact thing. These cookie-cutter FJ's lately seem so low effort...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Not a bad game for a tournament of this sort. I’ve got a little more than a rooting interest in this event since I hope for my own sake that it becomes an annual event. I was happy to see the chemistry guy do so well. And, yes, FJ was rather simple if you recognized that Nieuwe Kunst was the Dutch translation of Art Nouveau.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bit of a burn by Miyam at the end there... "We'll see if Hester's score holds up"
tddeveryday wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:02 pm I felt like Mayim overexplained the "Post Doctoral" category. She said, "Responses start with 'D-O' and come after 'doctoral' alphabetically." We've seen a lot of "Post [blank]," "Pre [blank]," "Before [blank]," and "After [blank]" categories on Jeopardy! I recall Alex explaining those categories this way: "Each response appears somewhere shortly before/after [blank] in the dictionary." Mayim I thought was too specific by pointing out that every response starts with "D-O." I don't think Alex would've done that. Maybe that's nitpicking, but to me this made the category easier than it should have been. (I don't even know if Mayim is allowed to ad-lib her own explanation or if the writers give the host a script or what, but it sounded to me like she was free to describe it in her own words.)
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6835
AFTER MATH (Alex: Each correct response with begin with "M-A-T", but each response will come after the word "math" in the dictionary.)

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6623
AFTER LIFE (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that begins with "L-I" but comes after the word "life" in the dictionary.)

And one more just to give the other direction some love
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6564
BEFORE SWINE (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that starts with the letters "S-W-I" and come just before "swine" in the dictionary.)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:55 pm Strangely, $200 was my only miss in Lesser-Known Marsupials. I could have stared at that all day and literally never gotten "cat". Poll request time, since it's been a while.
I've already blown my chance at an 8/8, so seconded. That was a doozy.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:29 pm
I wanted to say this exact thing. These cookie-cutter FJ's lately seem so low effort...
I mean, they weren't -filmed- back to back. And if there's no more all season...? Feels more coincidental.
(Hush, peanut gallery. I know it wasn't shot to celluloid...)

Post-modernism here. Then I thought post impressionism (which that one at least was turn of the century...) but didn't have time to change.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Don't look now, but the century has turned again!

I chose Art Nouveau over Art Moderne because "nouveau" seemed more different from "Nieuw" than "Modernista" from "Moderne" (the time frame is also better, but I didn't really know that).

I'm bummed about the auks. Though it's still probably better to be a flightless bird than a swimless fish.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm
Good one and ridiculous of the writers to go that route for one clue and I did not care for $200 either. It should not be that hard to write five clues specific to the movie itself. I wanted a pic of Alfalfa from the swimming pool scene, "Buffalo Gals", Clarence, "Hark... Angels...", "Auld Lang Syne" Bert & Ernie...
Or the future Grandma Walton, who only wanted $17.50.
davey

Post by davey »

I should know - I have known - what kunst means, but I drew a blank tonight, and I ended up going with cubism based on turn-of-the-century and Modernista...I fretted for a moment too that they were talking about the turn of the 21st C.... :roll:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm glad Gary played smart and won. I would be happy to see Hester left in the dust. She was a chore to watch. I'm glad I never had her as a professor.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Did anyone else get "H" right in WE GET LETTERS solely because of knowing the little trivia item of Bach putting his last name into several of his pieces?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For FJ I started with Art Deco, but changed to Art Nouveau.

Hester really had a tendency to just spitball responses. I think she wouldn't have been smart to show a bit more buzzer restraint.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

The Pointer Sisters were/are one of my favorite groups. I was sort of disappointed none of the contestants got that one.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:15 am Did anyone else get "H" right in WE GET LETTERS solely because of knowing the little trivia item of Bach putting his last name into several of his pieces?
I missed the clue, but on reveal I was like "oh, right. Duh."
davey

Post by davey »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:32 am The Pointer Sisters were/are one of my favorite groups. I was sort of disappointed none of the contestants got that one.
Gary got it right after Hester missed it.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:15 am Did anyone else get "H" right in WE GET LETTERS solely because of knowing the little trivia item of Bach putting his last name into several of his pieces?
Yes. Does anyone else know this little trivia item from reading Gödel, Escher, Bach?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

All the correct responses started with “do”. That’s why she gave the hint she did.