New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Is there a list of games that the archivists have but that haven't been archived yet? In going through some old downloads, I found a "minisode" of Keith Williams' college championship final, game 2. It's 6 minutes long. It's got all the category names, all three DDs, the FJ, and a generous helping of other clues. But maybe the archivists have a complete version and it just hasn't been entered? If not, and somebody wants a copy of this incomplete version, let me know.
The problem being that if we put in the partial game, we'd have to put in a bunch of those little placeholder equal signs and approximate scores, which would then have to be changed once we got an actual tape of the game. Or we'd use Ronnie's archive to get the actual scores, and if we're doing that, well then, why not use every part of the buffalo and not just those 6 minutes?

And seeing as I went back through my Twitter and found the offer of the actual tape of the game (both games in the finals, actually), this would be more trouble than it's worth. I also have 3 other games from that tourney on VHS that I'll get to once I get my schedule here worked out.

Thanks anyway. Suggestions and sources always appreciated.
Thanks. Good to know. Who's Ronnie? What does he have archived?

I have at least one other (alas, partial) unarchived game from April 12, 1988. Returning champ Bob Beers loses his Game 4 to Ron Kerr/Carr. I've got from the second half of SJ on. The source for this is a torrent I downloaded a while back called Jeopardy Megapack Yellow. It's got lots of junk that I'm just now sifting through. If you guys are familiar with the torrent and have everything from it, I won't mention anything else I find.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
From what I can tell, the 1989 ToC's last qualifier was Chris Shea, with four wins and $35,202. Too bad Jack Lechner swung for the fences on his lock FJs.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5024

He bet more conservatively in his fourth game, sticking to the MSB in a crush game.

The really bad bet was by the player in the middle. He hit the last DD on the 20th clue. At the time, he was in second place with the scores 10,000/4,500/1,800. He was a minister and the category was The Crusades. But he only bets $2,000. If he had gone all in, he has a 2/3 game in FJ and can win on a TS. As it was, he was forced to bet everything and missed it.

Second place gets a trip to Hawaii and third gets a car alarm. Sweet.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

trainman wrote:I don't think J! was closed-captioned back in 1989 -- and even if it was, the CC info doesn't stick well on old VHSes. (If the picture isn't close to perfect, it's likely the CC is garbled or nonexistent.)
I have gotten near-perfect CC files from '87/'88 games even when the audio was lousy. It's helped a lot.

Here is the secret CC message from an '88 ToC game:
Captioning made possible by Merv Griffin Enterprises, a unit of the Coca-Cola Company.
Captioning performed by the National Captioning Institute, Inc.
Captions copyright 1988 Jeopardy Productions, Inc.
Public performance of captions prohibited without permission of National Captioning Institute.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thanks. Good to know. Who's Ronnie? What does he have archived?
I'm not entirely certain of the background story, but Ronnie (who I think is female and used to post on the old board) started an archive for Season 20. I don't know why she stopped, but the archive we all know and love seems to have begun for Season 21. If you go back to page 101, you'll see where Mark quoted an old post by Myron giving a link to her archive. It isn't on line anymore, but Myron seems to have saved it and was kind enough to post a link here. The games for that season are slowly being transcribed into our board's archive.
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mfc248 »

Bamaman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: Thanks. Good to know. Who's Ronnie? What does he have archived?
I'm not entirely certain of the background story, but Ronnie (who I think is female and used to post on the old board) started an archive for Season 20. I don't know why she stopped, but the archive we all know and love seems to have begun for Season 21. If you go back to page 101, you'll see where Mark quoted an old post by Myron giving a link to her archive. It isn't on line anymore, but Myron seems to have saved it and was kind enough to post a link here. The games for that season are slowly being transcribed into our board's archive.
She was a one game champion in Season 18. Just before the IBM Challenge, Slate ran this piece by 2010 College Championship semifinalist Daniel D'Addario about J! Archive and his own experience on the show, quoting both Ronnie and Robert K S. Ken's streak turned Ronnie off to the show, and so she stopped updating her archive.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have added 1/19/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5025

Nothing earth shattering about it and I'm sure Jenny would have been fine if it stayed buried with a stat line like hers.

To answer some of the previous questions. I looked into make the CC work for the previous YouTube video I uploaded. The options to me only seem to be for me to close-caption it myself and I did not see a way for YouTube to made something magical happen.

No, I do not know how Peggi's 5th game went. Spoiler: She lost. :) It's possible I have it and marked it for the new champ, so I'll keep an eye out for it although it won't happen this summer. I tried to take a rough count of regular games I have remaining and including those dreaded partials (perhaps 50 or so?) I have at least 170+ depending on which ones someone else has already put in the archive.

I've seen a Jack Lechner/Yael Sofaer listed, so I want to see if I have that one complete. Friday will be my last game to do for August and I've already found one for the "set heads."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I looked for the Lechner/Sofaer game, but could not locate the tape. I did find this though:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I did find a game to do tomorrow (Ron Trigueiro's debut), but unfortunately, it's missing almost all of the J! round. Just when the game is coming into focus I could see Alex holding this dress:

The categories are:
ANTONYMS, MEXICO, MEATS, MUSIC, KID STUFF & JACKIE GLEASON

Ron's score sent from 1300 to 600, so it's obvious that Ron lost 700 on a VIDEO DAILY DOUBLE. The sound took a few more seconds to come on, so I heard nothing until the next selection was made. Any guess for the correct response and the most likely category to have had it? Thanks.

The returning champ is Jack Low and I'll spell the last name that way unless someone knows he is Lowe?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:I did find a game to do tomorrow (Ron Trigueiro's debut), but unfortunately, it's missing almost all of the J! round. Just when the game is coming into focus I could see Alex holding this dress:

Great, we just finished debating a dress here earlier this year! (I'll get on team "blue and white" now while the getting's good.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

MarkBarrett wrote:I looked for the Lechner/Sofaer game, but could not locate the tape. I did find this though:

I spotted the Voldemortic name in that video but I'm not sure what you want us to say about that clip :lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JayK33 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I looked for the Lechner/Sofaer game, but could not locate the tape. I did find this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=528e28eyv2U
I spotted the Voldemortic name in that video but I'm not sure what you want us to say about that clip :lol:
One thing to say about it is that Erik Larson is not J! 5xer Erik Larsen.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Did the person at roughly 15 seconds write a book about Jeopardy?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Zach hadn't been lighting cigars for the female singers he might have won.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Did the person at roughly 15 seconds write a book about Jeopardy?
Yeah, interesting that they let him on the show despite his history. But he wasn't working on a game show at the time. In 2004, Leonard Koss who was producing PAX's On the Cover around that time was a Ken Jennings opponent.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What I had of Ron Trigueiro's debut is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5026

Based on what the board had remaining I decided to put the dress in KID STUFF $800. I realize this thread does not get all of the board eyeballs that could figure out the significance or name of the dress.

As if the J! round not enough of a mess to rig the numbers to be correct going into clue 28 there was a score revision made when the DJ! round began.

Alex said Jack had been ruled incorrect for anesthesia & (sounded like aphesia [not aphasia]) in ANTONYMS in a clue about conscious & unconscious with them starting with "A." Alex did not say awake & asleep were the correct response; that is just my best guess for what happened. Of course that could have been a rebound situation, but I chose not to do that there.

Alex mentioned Jack was a doctor (I did not give him that in his introduction since there are so many variations with that kind of title) in explaining how Jack knew the unexpected term.

From Clue 28 to the end those are the correct numbers including the totals at the end of the J! round.

I clearly heard -s for 10-LETTER WORDS $200, although I would think -d would have been the better option.

It was tempting not to fix one of my typos when I had Kook & the Gang. :)

Since it was a TOCer's debut and he squeaked into the TOC I wanted to include the game even though it was not complete. I have another TOCer's 1988 debut with half of a game to do some other later time.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

They spotted us half the name in the clue, but I'm still proud of myself for getting Jackie Gleason for 400.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ is one that was a lot easier the day it was taped than today as it had just happened.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote: I clearly heard -s for 10-LETTER WORDS $200, although I would think -d would have been the better option.

Celebration is an 11 letter word to begin with and they accepted it despite it being in a 10 letter word category, I guess because of the song title being 11 letters.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: I clearly heard -s for 10-LETTER WORDS $200, although I would think -d would have been the better option.

Celebration is an 11 letter word to begin with and they accepted it despite it being in a 10 letter word category, I guess because of the song title being 11 letters.
Nice catch on that, thanks. It never occurred to me to count the letters and I do not have the Scrabble skills to spot it outright. I gave the clue an ERRATUM.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Celebrate was the name of the album the song came from.