New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:58 am

Not that this matters, but from my own recollections listening to '90s country radio, it was "a hoochie-coochie".
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9104
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:04 am

I was in Columbus for work recently and took an afternoon stroll along the Chattahoochie. It wasn’t very hot that day.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6295
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by alietr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:12 am

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:04 am
I was in Columbus for work recently and took an afternoon stroll along the Chattahoochie. It wasn’t very hot that day.
I did that as well a few months ago. Nice rapids right downtown.

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:20 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:53 pm
I didn't realize when I entered the skeleton for this game that the game before it and the game after it were both already entered
When you notice something like this don't forget to go back and fill in the "Continuing from game" field for the newly entered game and the succeeding game. I went ahead and did it for these two.

Looks like we just passed 365,000 clues.

Foofnscoops
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:23 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Foofnscoops » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 am

kablamfan11 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 am
According to Vulture.com, Jeopardy Collection 2 is coming to Netflix at the end of the month. Probably nothing relevant to this thread, but we can always hope.

https://www.vulture.com/article/new-on- ... inals.html
In a world where people pay attention to us, Netflix and Sony would arrange to stream games that aren't yet in the archive.
Well, I remember watching old episodes on Crackle! I remember watching Mark Dawson become a 5 time champ. So, by February 28th, we'll see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed!
Hey man your on MySpleen right?

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Foofnscoops wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 am
kablamfan11 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 am
According to Vulture.com, Jeopardy Collection 2 is coming to Netflix at the end of the month. Probably nothing relevant to this thread, but we can always hope.

https://www.vulture.com/article/new-on- ... inals.html
In a world where people pay attention to us, Netflix and Sony would arrange to stream games that aren't yet in the archive.
Well, I remember watching old episodes on Crackle! I remember watching Mark Dawson become a 5 time champ. So, by February 28th, we'll see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed!
Hey man your on MySpleen right?
We are not. Are there un-archived games available there?

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 pm

We already had a clue in the archive where "Ichiro" by itself was considered correct for the baseball player, but now we have one were the player says "Ichiro" and Alex adds "Suzuki". There's also one in the archive where the player says "Suzuki" and Alex adds "Ichiro", so we have a rare example of a person getting a prompting for variously their first or last names.

(March 14, 2002 if you want to hunt for it. No link yet, since I'm only 8 clues into the game, but I wanted to note this, in case I forgot to later.)

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4452
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jeff6286 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:28 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 pm
We already had a clue in the archive where "Ichiro" by itself was considered correct for the baseball player, but now we have one were the player says "Ichiro" and Alex adds "Suzuki". There's also one in the archive where the player says "Suzuki" and Alex adds "Ichiro", so we have a rare example of a person getting a prompting for variously their first or last names.

(March 14, 2002 if you want to hunt for it. No link yet, since I'm only 8 clues into the game, but I wanted to note this, in case I forgot to later.)
"getting a prompting" doesn't sound like the right phrasing there if Alex simply adds the other name. I think you just mean first or last name alone is acceptable. Yao Ming might be another example, though I haven't looked.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:29 pm

What is Alex saying in "French" at the beginning of this clue? Is it something that should be included in the Archive clue text?



(I think I have a better copy of this game on this tape. I might have to see if I can get a different recording.)

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:45 pm

"Vraiment, a French restaurant..." Yes, it should be included as it is part of the clue. I would not bother to put it in italics, as it would not be italicized on the clue screen.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6295
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by alietr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Robert K S wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:45 pm
"Vraiment, a French restaurant..." Yes, it should be included as it is part of the clue. I would not bother to put it in italics, as it would not be italicized on the clue screen.
Vraiment means 'truly' (or 'really').

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:59 pm

alietr wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:48 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:45 pm
"Vraiment, a French restaurant..." Yes, it should be included as it is part of the clue. I would not bother to put it in italics, as it would not be italicized on the clue screen.
Vraiment means 'truly' (or 'really').
Thanks to both of you. Does entering games right now interfere with your Archive programming, Robert?

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm

Not yet, but because I am not sophisticated enough to have both development and production copies of the Archive, you never know when I will screw something up at the exact same time when you hit "Submit" on a round! :twisted:

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Robert K S wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm
Not yet, but because I am not sophisticated enough to have both development and production copies of the Archive, you never know when I will screw something up at the exact same time when you hit "Submit" on a round! :twisted:
Image

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:30 pm

I'm Calvin, and you're Hobbes.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8936
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm

I filled in 2/20/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1436

It probably won't happen until March, but I call dibs on 2/21/02
 
Hope Lisa Korn & Scott Humphrey have gotten over kissing the game away by now.  Alex Boisvert says thank you.  Those century categories always cause trouble.
 
If the writers had side bet action going on negs then money was changing hands:
 
"Y" ME $600 & $800 had me seeing the misses coming when the clues were revealed and I was not surprised at the guess for GEMS $2000 either.
 
Hammer would not be amused at the misdirection in PANCREAS... $800
 
B&A $1200 - They are not the WWF anymore.
 
Myron:  For 3/2/02 the CC is there to help you with things like vraiment:
SpoilerShow
 
I'll take utensils for $1,000.
Vraiment,
a french restaurant uses
the special fork seen here
to serve this gastropod.
What is escargot?
...
the rest after clue 16:

Claire, make a selection.
We'll continue right now.
I'll take anagrams for $200.
First clue is...
who is mary bo-peep?
No.
Little bo-peep?
No.
Who is mary?
Mary, yes.
Anagram of "army."
I'll take of madison for $400,
please.
What is the library of congress?
Of madison for $600.
What is montpelier?
I'll take of madison for $800.
A little stumble
a moment ago,
and you're now $1,000
off the lead.
Um, I'll bet $2,000.
Okay.
A $1,000 lead for you
if you are right on this clue.
What is...
the university of virginia?
You are correct.
[ Applause ]
After responding, thank you
for giving us a beautiful shot
of your adam's apple
as you --
"oh, yes. Thank you."
I'll take of madison for $1,000.
What is the war of 1812?
Anagrams for $400, please.
What is the range?
Anagrams for $600.
Who is devo?
I'll take anagrams for $800.
With a minute to go.
[ Beep ]
"Doorbell" will anagram
to "bordello."
I'll take anagrams for $1,000.
What is minaret?
I'll take county for $200.
You have to name the state.
What is california?
County for $1,000.
What's florida?
I'll take county for $800.
What is ohio?
No. Hanley or mary?
Those are counties
in new york.
County for $400, please.
What's new mexico?
And that does it
for the round.
You have $2,400, hanley,
mary at $5,000,
claire in the lead
with $5,200.
We're going to take a break,
come back,
and play double jeopardy!
Right after this.
Let's go into double jeopardy!
Categories are...
hanley, start us off.
I'll take potent quotables
for $400.
Who is charles schulz?
Potent quotables for $800.
Who is edmund hillary?
Potent quotables for $1,200.
Who is gandhi?
I'll take liquid for $800.
What is beer?
I'll take liquid for $1,200.
The liquid left
after churning --
it's often used
to make pancakes.
What
is buttermilk?Potent quotables for $1,600.
Who is confucius?
No. Hanley or claire?
Who is mao tse-tung?
I'll take liquid for $1,600.
Uh, transmission fluid?
What is transmission fluid?
Nope.
What is automatic transmission
fluid?
Yes -- abbreviated atf.
Potent quotables for $2,000.
[ Beep ]
That was the late, great
albert schweitzer.
Liquid for $2,000.
[ Beep ]
It's called mercurochrome.
It burns on a cut.
The "a" team for $400.
What is an aviary?
You're an animal! For $800.
Let's go to L.A.'S
page museum.
You think some strange things
roam L.A.'S streets today?
Well, in the last ice age,
there were these ships
of the desert.
What are camels?
You're an animal! For $400.
What's a chicken?
You're an animal! For $1,200.
What's a cheetah?
You're an animal! For $1,600.
[ Applause ]
A little slow getting off
the mark in this game, hanley.
You can make up some ground
quickly, though.
I'll go double trouble --
true daily double.
Double trouble --
true daily double.
I'm on your side, hanley.
Here we go -- you're an animal!
What is a sloth?
Sloth bear --
that's right.
[ Applause ]
I'll close out the category,
please.
Change one letter
in the name of a striped mammal
to get this type of lizard,
seen here.
What's a skink?
The "a" team for $800.
What is an awning?
The "a" team for $1,200.
They're the popular
blue-jeans additions seen here.
What are appliqu
és?The "a" team for $1,600.
What is andromeda?
No.
What is alpha centauri?
No.
Correct response --
"what is antares?"
I'll take the "a" team
for $2,000.
[ Beep ]
Correct response --
"what is actinium?"
I'll take french literature
for $1,200.
Who is sartre?
I'll take liquid for $400.
What is sap?
Who's the mrs.? For $2,000.
Who is diane sawyer?
Who's the mrs.? For $1,600.
Who is melissa gilbert?
Who's the mrs.? For $1,200.
Who is marlo thomas?
Who's the mrs.? For $800.
Who is rhea perlman?
Who's the mrs.? For $400.
Who is maria shriver?
You finally interrupted
mary's progress.
Less than a minute
to go now.
French literature for $2,000.
[ Beep ]
And the author is
guy de maupassant.
French literature for $1,600.
[ Beep ]
Series is called
"la comédie humaine" --
"the human comedy."
French literature for $800.
One more clue after this.
We're almost out of time.
How much
are you going to risk
to try to catch
or get closer to mary?
I'll risk $2,000.
All right.
Here is the clue
in french literature...
what is "les misérables"?
That's right.
And the last clue
will remain hidden from view.
You move up to $11,200,
claire.
Mary in the lead, though,
with $15,400,
and our champion, hanley,
with $5,600,
as we get ready
for this category
in final jeopardy! --
Recent films.
Good subject.
Clue in a moment.
And you're going to like it.
Recent films and the clue...
30 seconds.
Good luck.
Hanley...
what did you write down?
I sound like a teacher
reprimanding a student.
You came up with nothing,
so it will cost you $1,300,
leaving you with $4,300.
Let's go down
to claire williams --
had $11,200 --
shaking her head also.
Perhaps she has not seen
the film, either.
Lost $5,600,
half of her total.
Now we go to mary mansfield --
had $15,400.
You too?
"What is truman?"
No -- "what is shrek?"
Did you see the movie,
any of you?
No.
No?
You have to keep up if you're
going to succeed on "jeopardy!"
You lost $7,001,
but guess what.
You have $8,399,
and that's enough
to make you the new "jeopardy!"
Champion, mary mansfield.
Great game, claire.
Come back tomorrow.
We'll do it again.
Go to the movies tonight.
So long, everybody.
 

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:02 am

For whatever reason I was just looking at the 1987 Michael J. Fox/Joan Jett movie "Light of Day" that someone had uploaded to YouTube, and as I was clicking around, I happened to hear the familiar 3-note "Times up" signal. So I scroll back, and sure enough, there's a guy in a hotel room, reading Ripley's Believe It Or Not and watching Jeopardy. So now I'm paying closer attention, and I'm finally rewarded with this screenshot.

Image

Turns out it's this game, January 13, 1986. (I added the note.)

Funny I'd stumble upon it, but I guess your ear is trained on what it wants to hear, after a while.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5947
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:25 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:02 am
For whatever reason I was just looking at the 1987 Michael J. Fox/Joan Jett movie "Light of Day" that someone had uploaded to YouTube, and as I was clicking around, I happened to hear the familiar 3-note "Times up" signal. So I scroll back, and sure enough, there's a guy in a hotel room, reading Ripley's Believe It Or Not and watching Jeopardy. So now I'm paying closer attention, and I'm finally rewarded with this screenshot.

Image

Turns out it's this game, January 13, 1986. (I added the note.)

Funny I'd stumble upon it, but I guess your ear is trained on what it wants to hear, after a while.
Any reason the quotation marks have been removed in the archiving of that particular clue?

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6338
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 am

seaborgium wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:25 am
SpoilerShow
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:02 am
For whatever reason I was just looking at the 1987 Michael J. Fox/Joan Jett movie "Light of Day" that someone had uploaded to YouTube, and as I was clicking around, I happened to hear the familiar 3-note "Times up" signal. So I scroll back, and sure enough, there's a guy in a hotel room, reading Ripley's Believe It Or Not and watching Jeopardy. So now I'm paying closer attention, and I'm finally rewarded with this screenshot.

Image

Turns out it's this game, January 13, 1986. (I added the note.)

Funny I'd stumble upon it, but I guess your ear is trained on what it wants to hear, after a while.
Any reason the quotation marks have been removed in the archiving of that particular clue?
I had the same question. I don't think I'd have gotten the clue in any event, but those quotation marks sure confused the issue for me. They imply that the sport doesn't exactly involve sailing but that one can be said to "sail," i.e. to "fly," i.e. to whizz along very quickly. The clue could apply to bobsled, skeleton, luge, even in a few cases skiing. So I wasn't sure what to say.
SpoilerShow
Turns out "sail" means they sail. Literally.

rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:02 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive -- 2/20/19

Post by rmfromfla » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 am

Ok, coming clean, I entered that game (one of my first) into the archive about 14 years ago. It was (and still is) transcribed from an audiocassette I recorded that show on, so there may be a few punctuation marks missing on some of the clues. 8-)

Post Reply