New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6397
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:16 pm

jlgarfield wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:12 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:11 pm
jlgarfield wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 pm
Re: Re: The 1992 Seniors Tournament: I seem to remember a moment on the old J! boards over a decade ago about how the eventual winner, Leonard Schmidt, put down for his Final Jeopardy answer "Lower Slobbovia".
That's a made up name! Leonard Schmidt. How dumb do you think we are?
Not sure whether you were joking or not
That's my specialty.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 am

Well, I was going to finish this one yesterday, but then I noticed the date, so I put it off. From exactly 17 years ago, March 14, 2002, we have Claire Williams vs. Mary Mansfield vs. Hanley Baxter. From my own tape even! A random game that just managed to survive being taped over somehow.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1721

This was the "Ichiro" game I mentioned a few pages back.

New to the archive thanks to this game, the mercury-bromine compound marketed as an antiseptic also called Merbromin:
SpoilerShow
What is Mercurochrome?
I was rooting for Mary in the WHO'S THE MRS.? category. She had the rare "sweep playing up the board" going from the $2000 clue. Alas, Claire got in with the $400 clue, breaking up the shutout.

Alex made a big deal about the players all missing FJ, saying they needed to keep up with films if they were going to win at Jeopardy. But you could have seen the film, and easily not gotten the clue right. It has nothing to do with the movie!
RECENT FILMS: The name of this character means "fear" in Yiddish
SpoilerShow
What is Shrek?
2 of the players didn't even have guesses.

Happy Pi Day all.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5999
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 am
Well, I was going to finish this one yesterday, but then I noticed the date, so I put it off. From exactly 17 years ago, March 14, 2002, we have Claire Williams vs. Mary Mansfield vs. Hanley Baxter. From my own tape even! A random game that just managed to survive being taped over somehow.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1721
Did you see this thread? I don't know if you can help the poster.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 am

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 am
Well, I was going to finish this one yesterday, but then I noticed the date, so I put it off. From exactly 17 years ago, March 14, 2002, we have Claire Williams vs. Mary Mansfield vs. Hanley Baxter. From my own tape even! A random game that just managed to survive being taped over somehow.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1721
Did you see this thread? I don't know if you can help the poster.
I did and I can't.

kablamfan11
Contributor
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:47 pm
Location: California

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by kablamfan11 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:12 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 am
Well, I was going to finish this one yesterday, but then I noticed the date, so I put it off. From exactly 17 years ago, March 14, 2002, we have Claire Williams vs. Mary Mansfield vs. Hanley Baxter. From my own tape even! A random game that just managed to survive being taped over somehow.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1721

This was the "Ichiro" game I mentioned a few pages back.

New to the archive thanks to this game, the mercury-bromine compound marketed as an antiseptic also called Merbromin:
SpoilerShow
What is Mercurochrome?
I was rooting for Mary in the WHO'S THE MRS.? category. She had the rare "sweep playing up the board" going from the $2000 clue. Alas, Claire got in with the $400 clue, breaking up the shutout.

Alex made a big deal about the players all missing FJ, saying they needed to keep up with films if they were going to win at Jeopardy. But you could have seen the film, and easily not gotten the clue right. It has nothing to do with the movie!
RECENT FILMS: The name of this character means "fear" in Yiddish
SpoilerShow
What is Shrek?
2 of the players didn't even have guesses.

Happy Pi Day all.
It's been so long since this episode aired. I remember watching this episode & I was rooting for Hanley because of his money total.

kablamfan11
Contributor
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:47 pm
Location: California

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by kablamfan11 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:34 pm

pannoni4 has posted the March 18, 2002 episode (only the intro is in so far) at the internet archive:

https://archive.org/details/JeopardyMarch182002

kablamfan11
Contributor
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:47 pm
Location: California

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by kablamfan11 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:35 pm

pannoni4 has posted the March 19, 2002 episode (only the intro is in so far) at the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/JeopardyMarch192002

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7370
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:47 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 am
RECENT FILMS: The name of this character means "fear" in Yiddish
SpoilerShow
What is Shrek?
2 of the players didn't even have guesses.

Happy Pi Day all.
I might have gotten it with a hint that it was animated. As written I couldn't get my brain to budge from live action movies.

Is there any way to "tackle" a clue like this?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5999
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:18 pm

I think one can reasonably expect it to be a title character, although I admit that's 20/20 hindsight and you'd have to be pretty brave to make such an assumption on the spot. I imagine it would have been easier to come up with a movie title that was just one weird word. (I'll spare you the "sounds like [language]" assessment since you don't like those.) It is a tough clue. I got it off Myron's post only because I'd previously heard that the name was from Yiddish; I probably didn't know that when this clue was current.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm

I was able to remove the "Game incomplete on archiving tape." notice from December 27, 1988, Jeff Richmond game 3, vs. Penny Souhrada vs. Jerry Podair, as well as completing the contestant bios.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5885


•Penny fell for the neg-bait at POETS for $600
Alfred was his first name; his middle name was Joyce
SpoilerShow
Who was Joyce Kilmer? (Not Alfred Lord Tennyson.)

•This game features the only appearance of these 2 names as responses, so you probably can leave them off your flash cards (Matt Jackson can flash card whatever he wants though). The 2nd one is kind of an interesting fact. I vaguely remember that name from my younger days.
ACTORS & ACTRESSES $500: Star of "Ragtime" who dropped her dream of being a ballerina because she couldn't do a pirouette

THE CIA $800: In 1987 he went from FBI director to CIA director
SpoilerShow
Who is Elizabeth McGovern?
Who is William Webster?

•I had thought that this clue was mentioned in Harry Eisenberg's book, but 15 minutes of browsing couldn't find it. I thought he said that he called CIA headquarters to confirm the clue, and then waited what he assumed was the length of time for a background check before they called back. Maybe it was The Jeopardy Book instead.
THE CIA $1000: CIA headquarters are located in this state
SpoilerShow
What is Virginia?

•Surprised that FJ was a triple stumper, but I've seen that fact recently in one of my other books, so who knows? Any clue can be hard with a 30-second timer bearing down on you.

---
So many choices. What to archive next? Have a good night all.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7370
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:11 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm
•Surprised that FJ was a triple stumper, but I've seen that fact recently in one of my other books, so who knows? Any clue can be hard with a 30-second timer bearing down on you.
I derped it up in my own TPH way. I instantly recognized "duodecim" as meaning "twelve" but still couldn't think of any twelve-related words.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6352
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by alietr » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm

THE CIA $800: In 1987 he went from FBI director to CIA director
SpoilerShow
Who is William Webster?
If this had come up now, I might have gotten it. He was in the news just last month (and is a hero to me for what he did):

Ex FBI CIA Director Helps Nab Jamaican Phone Scammer

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 pm

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6241

And the next game was actually an easy choice, Jeff Richmond game 4 to finish his run, December 28, 1988, vs Carol Bunch and Tom Leckey.

Interesting note. These last two games have included the slate at the beginning of the tape, so I know that in addition to being absolutely sure of the airdate and show number, this is also game G 5087 (Yesterday's game was G 5086.) What that means is, it's the 87th game assembled for use in season 5, and that's the material that standards and practices picked for this taping. I learned that while flipping through "Inside Jeopardy" yesterday, trying to find that CIA anecdote.

FAMOUS QUOTES for $800 gave Alex an entire clue to do his "Robby Burns" voice.

Clue of the game will be ODD JOBS for $200 (DJ), an absolute obscurity here in 2019:
In an odd modeling job for a Benson & Hedges print ad, model Rob Ramsel was clad only in these
SpoilerShow
What are pajama bottoms?
Here's a People magazine article about the ad (no pictures)

https://people.com/archive/bartender-mo ... l-30-no-8/

and you can google yourself to find the pics. I can't find pics of the ad itself, just the Getty Images links to the photos. Anyway, congrats on making it into the J-Canon, buddy. You and Lucky Vanous will become the best of friends, I'm sure.

FJ was hard, congrats to Tom and Jeff for getting it. Tom had a pretty good run at the end there, finding both DJ DDs. Slightly more aggressive wagering and Jeff's Jeopardy! career might have looked a whole lot different.

I've got the next 2 games picked out. Happy St. Pat's to one and all.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5999
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 pm
Clue of the game will be ODD JOBS for $200 (DJ), an absolute obscurity here in 2019:
In an odd modeling job for a Benson & Hedges print ad, model Rob Ramsel was clad only in these
SpoilerShow
What are pajama bottoms?
Here's a People magazine article about the ad (no pictures)

https://people.com/archive/bartender-mo ... l-30-no-8/

and you can google yourself to find the pics. I can't find pics of the ad itself, just the Getty Images links to the photos.
I found the ad in Google Image Search by searching "because quality matters" 1988.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2013
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by xxaaaxx » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:52 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 pm
Clue of the game will be ODD JOBS for $200 (DJ), an absolute obscurity here in 2019:
In an odd modeling job for a Benson & Hedges print ad, model Rob Ramsel was clad only in these
SpoilerShow
What are pajama bottoms?
Here's a People magazine article about the ad (no pictures)

https://people.com/archive/bartender-mo ... l-30-no-8/

and you can google yourself to find the pics. I can't find pics of the ad itself, just the Getty Images links to the photos.
I found the ad in Google Image Search by searching "because quality matters" 1988.
...and that unremarkable (IMO) cigarette print ad was well-known enough to be a top row clue!? *shrug* OK then.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Because I love a challenge almost as much as I love a gimmick, and since pannoni4 made the game available, here's another 17-years-ago today game, March 18, 2002. Karen Lempert vs. Jason Lautenschleger vs. Mary Mansfield.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1723


•The previous game I entered had MARCO POLO as a category, described by Alex as "not the children's game". Then today we have this clue.
KID STUFF $600: It's where you should be to play Marco Polo
SpoilerShow
Where is a (swimming) pool?

•In his interview, Jason Lautenschleger mentions that he plays in a "comedy band". That set me to googling, and it turns out his band was called the Bicycling Mariachis. Nothing much happened to them, but they did some opening gigs for a group called Kara's Flowers, who deep trivia music buffs might recognize as a forerunner to...
SpoilerShow
Maroon 5! One recent article indicates that Jason serves as "Director of Development for Adam Levine’s production company 222 Productions". Nice that Levine looks out for his old friends. And by coincidence, happy 40th b-day to Mr. Levine today.

•I missed the top clue in TV THEME SONGS, in part because I didn't realize it was a lyric and not a title, thanks to the all-caps display. I don't think I knew that lyric anyway. The other 4 clues were easy-cheesy. Lots of Lach Trash in this game, especially the DJ round.


•THE STATUE OF LIBERTY category is full of Things Worth Knowing, including this clue, which I'll pick as clue of the game:
$1200 The statue was first administered by the board for these structures, because the torch was a navigational aid
SpoilerShow
What are lighthouses?
---

I think we all know what game is going to be next. Have a good afternoon.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5999
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:29 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 pm
Because I love a challenge almost as much as I love a gimmick, and since pannoni4 made the game available, here's another 17-years-ago today game, March 18, 2002. Karen Lempert vs. Jason Lautenschleger vs. Mary Mansfield.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1723
You've got Mary credited with a correct FJ response.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Get your authors straight Jason, Naked Lunch was William S. Burroughs.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4481
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:29 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 pm
Because I love a challenge almost as much as I love a gimmick, and since pannoni4 made the game available, here's another 17-years-ago today game, March 18, 2002. Karen Lempert vs. Jason Lautenschleger vs. Mary Mansfield.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1723
You've got Mary credited with a correct FJ response.
Not sure if it was intended, as the $5,000 may have just been a Big Round Number, but this could be considered the oh-so-rare example of a Shoretegic wager by the leader. She wins on both a triple get and a triple miss, but couldn't save her from the loss when she was the only miss.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9129
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:52 am

jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:29 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 pm
Because I love a challenge almost as much as I love a gimmick, and since pannoni4 made the game available, here's another 17-years-ago today game, March 18, 2002. Karen Lempert vs. Jason Lautenschleger vs. Mary Mansfield.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1723
You've got Mary credited with a correct FJ response.
Not sure if it was intended, as the $5,000 may have just been a Big Round Number, but this could be considered the oh-so-rare example of a Shoretegic wager by the leader. She wins on both a triple get and a triple miss, but couldn't save her from the loss when she was the only miss.
If she had gotten it right, she still loses.

Post Reply