New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm Fortunately it was only 4 or 5 clues, but I do so hate doing anything twice.
Are you, um... a married man, Myron?
Twice married, so I guess that's the exception that proves the rule!
:lol:

All those years you were playing the long game for the setup to this punchline. Totally worth it and I admire your commitment to the bit.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

why is it down?
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

oh and btw, rewind me is back! (he posted a few commercials a couple of hours ago) but he has not responded to my question of whether or not he has any episodes of jeopardy,
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

booboo9921 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:37 pm why is it down?
Somebody tried to cram-a-lam a Swiss Cake Roll into the disk drive.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

let me guess, that's your way of telling me that you have no idea why it's down?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

booboo9921 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:54 pm let me guess, that's your way of telling me that you have no idea why it's down?
Kids these days.

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:26 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm Fortunately it was only 4 or 5 clues, but I do so hate doing anything twice.
Are you, um... a married man, Myron?
Twice married, so I guess that's the exception that proves the rule!
:lol:

All those years you were playing the long game for the setup to this punchline. Totally worth it and I admire your commitment to the bit.
The Archive is back up, and I see the clues I entered stuck, so I will not be needing to enter them again. That makes me happy.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

May be a bit off-topic but does anyone have clips to show of this game? http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=663 I've always been curious to see what that "tribble infestation" actually looked like, or was.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

JayK33 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:22 am May be a bit off-topic but does anyone have clips to show of this game? http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=663 I've always been curious to see what that "tribble infestation" actually looked like, or was.
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/clues-ca ... -throwback
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

update to my most recent post: rewind me does NOT have ANY episodes of jeopardy (archived or unarchived.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 7/15/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1665

All of the links should work. By my count that leaves 22 S18 games left to go. As time allows I will switch gears to entering missing tourney games and get away from 2002 games until probably September.

The writers anticipated a loophole at MEASURING UP $400 for feet in a 60-yard dash by excluding the runners'. :lol:

Naturally I had to be mocked by coincidence when this game had a clue that wanted the correct response for today's 5/10 game. Two different things with the same name though still felt the stinging reminder.

Sg: If you talk to Richard Mason at O'Brien's you can tell him his run is finally complete in the Archive.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Don't know if it's been known before, but KJL Rich Carroll was on a Weakest Link episode (primetime version) that I watched online yesterday (don't know if I should post the link in public or not). He came in 4th.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6264

Moving along the first India Cooper tape, we have Jan. 9, 1992, Liz MacGillicuddy-Lucas vs. Doug Frost vs. Peter Wadhams.

I'm mentioned how much I like the straightforwardness of the clues in games of this era, but I'm also a fan of the categorization of the boards. By which I mean, it would be rare these days to see MILITARY LEADERS as column 6.

Clue of the game? How about...SCULPTURE for $200 (DJ), a piece whose name I can never remember:
Robert Smithson was best known for his "Spiral Jetty", running into this Utah body of water
Spoiler
What is the Great Salt Lake?
I've got a double-cap on Smithson there, that I'll have to go back in and fix. Call me Vladimir 'cuz I'm Rushin' this morning.

I get used to seeing the same or similar runner-up prizes when I enter a bunch of games from the same tape. These 2 were both new to me, at least as far as I can remember.

FJ is Very Current Events (of the time). Congrats if you remember it, 25+ years later. The FJ is pretty much word-for-word from that NY Times obit.

More later. Have a nice day.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 am Clue of the game? How about...SCULPTURE for $200 (DJ), a piece whose name I can never remember:
Robert Smithson was best known for his "Spiral Jetty", running into this Utah body of water
When I visited a friend of mine in SLC a few years back, we went out to the Spiral Jetty. Kinda cool, but difficult to get to.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

You spelled the word born in the Claes Oldenburg clue "bown".

Peter and Doug both misread the clue as Texan President rather than Texas President.

Hoover and Napoleon were both surprising stumpers.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:21 pm You spelled the word born in the Claes Oldenburg clue "bown".
At the bottom of each game is a link labeled, "suggest correction".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nothing to add yet although getting closer. The first four I will tackle will be 1987 Teens QF 2-5.

The wear and tear on the tape and VCR for multiple listens of Johnny's introductions are no fun to decipher both high school and non-common cities.

I could use some help on some I am least sure about. Thanks.

Brian Kalt - Fr. from Southfield, Michigan - I hear the high school as Southfield Lakewood?

Dana Venator - Jr. from Decatur, GA - I hear the high school as something like "Briar Smith" although I could be way off

Mike Becker (name on graphic and his playing name though Johnny called him Michael) Sr. at Jesuit High School from (sounds like Brett Mull), Louisiana.

I'll try to get the QF 2 on Monday and I have
Mitch Epner - Sr. at Half Hollow Hills West High School from Dix Hills, New York
Amy Wilson - Jr. at McGuinness High School from OKC, OK
Michael Galvin - Sr. at Shaker Heights High School from Shaker Heights, OH

(Yes, I will spell out class years and states in full when archiving.)
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

I just happened to find Hal Ackerman on Facebook, and in addition to knowing the correct spelling of his last name, he mentioned that his ex-wife still has the range he won as a second-place prize as well.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=362
GameShowDude
Contributor

Post by GameShowDude »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:01 am Brian Kalt - Fr. from Southfield, Michigan - I hear the high school as Southfield Lakewood?
I'm from the area and know of Southfield Lathrup High, which is now closed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southfiel ... igh_School
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:01 am Dana Venator - Jr. from Decatur, GA - I hear the high school as something like "Briar Smith" although I could be way off
I searched for her name and "1988" in hopes of finding a contemporary source about her graduation, and ended up finding this PDF (which has nothing to do with any graduation), and while I can't search its text on my phone, Google's preview text offered "Dana Venator, Briarcliff."
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:01 am Mike Becker (name on graphic and his playing name though Johnny called him Michael) Sr. at Jesuit High School from (sounds like Brett Mull), Louisiana.
After finding an article on Jesuit High School's site that named Mike and a few other alumni of it and J!, like Chris Fleitas and Kevin Marshall, I put JHS into my maps app and zoomed out. The city of Gretna is less than ten miles away from it. (I had previously tried looking through a Wikipedia list of Louisiana municipalities and the best I could find in skimming through that with "Brett Mull" in my mind was the town of Glenmora, which is over a hundred miles from the high school.)