New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm I added 5/10/88 (Seniors QF2): http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6372
I'm confused about who gave which response in the $500 BOTANY clue.

And is the wording right on the $100 WORD ORIGINS clue? "Not surprisingly, this pink bird's name comes from Spanish for 'flamingo'". The flamingo's name comes from Spanish for "flamingo"? I would never have rung in with that guess because I would be sure I was misreading the clue somehow.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm I added 5/10/88 (Seniors QF2): http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6372

And is the wording right on the $100 WORD ORIGINS clue? "Not surprisingly, this pink bird's name comes from Spanish for 'flamingo'". The flamingo's name comes from Spanish for "flamingo"? I would never have rung in with that guess because I would be sure I was misreading the clue somehow.
"for flaming" and I have removed the "o" that did not belong. I have given the WORD ORIGINS $100 a better * & ** treatment to make it more clear. Thank you for the help.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:36 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:09 pm

"for flaming" and I have removed the "o" that did not belong. I have given the WORD ORIGINS $100 a better * & ** treatment to make it more clear. Thank you for the help.
Perfect and thank you! You and the other archivists do stellar work. It's a rare week when I don't make use of it at least once.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/12/90 Teen Tournament SF1: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6373

Player pics of Mike Grant, Scott Hoffman & Richard Morris:
Spoiler
Not J! at its finest.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

At least all the clues were revealed. Richard did OK in the end.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:58 pm I added 2/12/90 Teen Tournament SF1: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6373

Spoiler
Not J! at its finest.
Did AMERICAN LITERATURE for $400 (J!) use lowercase letters in the clue?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:58 pm I added 2/12/90 Teen Tournament SF1: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6373

Spoiler
Not J! at its finest.
Did AMERICAN LITERATURE for $400 (J!) use lowercase letters in the clue?
yes, that is how the clue was displayed.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Spoiler
Not J! at its finest.
Re: The last clue of the first round:
Spoiler
Montreal's Olympic Stadium was the first retractable-roofed stadium, but it had problems with its roof, so Toronto's Skydome (now Rogers Centre) is the first whose roof was actually functionable.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/12/96 College Championship QF1: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6375

Player pics of Michael Musgrove, Bryan Fagan & Jenn Cunningham:
Spoiler
WEIGHTS & MEASURES $1000 is marked for being the 375,000th clue in the Archive.

For any upcoming ToC players: This game has a lot of clues that would not be misplaced in the tourney. No, not those in STARS ON CD-ROM. That could be a place for Myron to find first-timers in the Archive?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm WEIGHTS & MEASURES $1000 is marked for being the 375,000th clue in the Archive.
Hooray! What a milestone! Thanks to all who have helped that number.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm I added 2/12/96 College Championship QF1: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6375

Spoiler

For any upcoming ToC players: This game has a lot of clues that would not be misplaced in the tourney. No, not those in STARS ON CD-ROM. That could be a place for Myron to find first-timers in the Archive?
Amy Dolenz! You should get that on your flashcards just on principle. And Erica Eleniak as a correct response! Along with the movie Under Seige in the clue. Great additions. More college games, please.

Ob trivia: Buddy Ebsen's last film appearance was a cameo in the 1993 movie "The Beverly Hillbillies", playing what character?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm And Erica Eleniak as a correct response!
Erika. :)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm I added 2/12/96 College Championship QF1: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6375

Spoiler

Amy Dolenz! You should get that on your flashcards just on principle. And Erika Eleniak as a correct response! Along with the movie Under Seige in the clue. Great additions. More college games, please.

Ob trivia: Buddy Ebsen's last film appearance was a cameo in the 1993 movie "The Beverly Hillbillies", playing what character?
I did that thing again, where I quoted instead of editing.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I had to look it up and I was surprised. The only answer that would've been better: Doc Golightly, the Ebsen character from Breakfast at Tiffany's.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm Amy Dolenz! You should get that on your flashcards just on principle. And Erica Eleniak as a correct response! Along with the movie Under Seige in the clue. Great additions. More college games, please.
Should be Under Siege (i before the e) unless the clue as broadcast misspelled the word.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:23 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm Amy Dolenz! You should get that on your flashcards just on principle. And Erica Eleniak as a correct response! Along with the movie Under Seige in the clue. Great additions. More college games, please.
Should be Under Siege (i before the e) unless the clue as broadcast misspelled the word.
i before e...Fixed it, thank you.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:23 pm
Fun fact: I'm not a great speller.

Spelled correctly, it's been mentioned a few times, but this game was the earliest. An archive search also brings up the movie The Fo-UNDER, written by humorist Robert SIEGE-l.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm Amy Dolenz! You should get that on your flashcards just on principle.
That's AmI (with an I). She is very cute as a genie in the late-'90s late-night cable-TV staple film "Miracle Beach."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I not before E?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

trainman wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:42 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm Amy Dolenz! You should get that on your flashcards just on principle.
That's AmI (with an I). She is very cute as a genie in the late-'90s late-night cable-TV staple film "Miracle Beach."
Correction made, thank you. Even three-letter common names are something I need to check is the lesson for today as of course there can be variations. I should know better as I know an Amy who later preferred Aimee.

Keep an eye on me tomorrow for a COMPOSERS category.