New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

wescovington
Contributor

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by wescovington »

kablamfan11 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:50 pm Was the 1/23/85 the 1st episode in which Final J! ended in a tie?
We had no idea what would happen in that case from watching in the audience. That studio in 1984 (when it was taped) was not very big. I also seem to recall that all 5 episodes were taped consecutively without any break for lunch. I think they started in the afternoon. I had to skip a class at UCLA to attend. And I'm pretty sure we sat through five episodes, which took about 3 hours.
wescovington
Contributor

Post by wescovington »

mjhunt wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:08 am Interesting. Did Paul Boymel always wager to tie? If so, it would be interesting to know his reasons.

I know this is controversial, but if the scores were $6,300 to $3,200 and third place was out, and I felt confident about the category, I would have been tempted to not only not wager to tie, but to bet more than the MSB $101 (though probably no more than $3,099, just to be sure second place could not bet nothing and/or get it wrong and win).
He told us afterwards that he wasn't confident about the category at all and knew that Jim would know the answer. Paul was Jewish and thought he would be at a distinct disadvantage to Jim, whom he knew was some kind of Christian (Catholic, to be precise.) Also, Paul was a very nice guy who didn't mind a tie I felt.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There used to be a J! rehearsal game from a first-season taping on YouTube that had Paul Boymel in it, but it looks like Mark Richards (the host in the practice games) deleted his account and made a new one, and hasn't gotten around to re-uploading that video yet. I wanted to see if I could find Jim (or Gary, for that matter) in it! The only other people besides Paul I remember were alternates at that taping, since their episodes were later than January '85: Mimi Schmidt (challenger in Mike Day episode 2) and Randy Amasia (season 2 champ).

edit: However, for what it's worth, Mark Richards had videos of two rehearsal games, and the other one is up. Emmett at the beginning and Jody near the end were both challengers in Jerry Frankel's fifth game (and I would guess that the Michael and Fran elsewhere in the video are the challengers from his second game, but I don't have any clips to compare them against).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6488

Jumping way ahead on my list of games to complete, we have April 24, 1991, Dave Gibboni vs. Steve Schechner vs. Tom Bodenberg. I just finished the J! round, and I thought I'd try writing up my thoughts here as I enter the clues, so I don't forget them.

When I saw the $300 clue in "PRO"s & "CON"s, I assumed someone would jump in with "nose", forgetting the category, and I was right.
Jimmy Durante insured his for $140,000
Spoiler
What is his proboscis?
Had I gotten either this clue, or the $400 clue in the same category
This spicy Italian ham is often sliced thin & served with melon
Spoiler
What is prosciutto?
I would have hesitated to ring in, for fear of mispronouncing the words. For the record, they are
Spoiler
pro-boss-kiss and pro-shoot-toe
. Easy enough.

What I saw the $300 Daily Double in movies, I knew the player was going to guess Babes in Toyland, because I did the same, fully assuming it was right. (Ray Bolger was in the 1961 Disney version, but neither Garland nor Rooney has appeared in any of the film versions.) Congrats if you knew either of the actual correct responses.

We welcome progesterone to the J-Canon as a correct response.

A break, then on to DJ!.

-----

Chrome's spellcheck didn't fix "lawrentium" for me. You're slipping, Alphabet. But then you caught "Esmerelda", so you're OK again.

Dave announced "What is sotto voce?" in the least sotto voce way possible.

I'll take STUPID NEIL SIMON ANSWERS for $200, Alex. Speaking of whom, neither Simon nor Sweet Charity are new to the Archive, but this is the first time they've been linked together. (Simon wrote the book for the stage musical, but the screenplay for the film is by Peter Stone.)

I made the same mistake Dave did on the DD in FICTIONAL CLERGY. This game was full of stuff just on the periphery of my knowledge.

AFRICAN HISTORY for $800 is a clue I just added to my flashcards last month, from the first section of Steven Ferrill's "Game Show Trivia". Starting with the "Abbreviations" section is a slog, but it's paid off.

Steve gets the very last clue, but it's not enough to prevent Dave's runaway. The second place prize was a trip to Malaysia, third place was office electronics and an NES. Staring down the barrel of a runaway game, I'd be very tempted to waste my shot in order to take home those third-place prizes.

I missed FJ!, assuming this was an Edward VIII situation (another fact I finally nailed down thanks to the flashcards). Nope, it was another matter entirely. Cograts to you if you knew it.

Will my next game to enter take 4 months or 4 hours? Who knows, right? Have a great day everyone.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:42 pm I would have hesitated to ring in, for fear of mispronouncing the words. For the record, they are
Spoiler
pro-boss-kiss and pro-shoot-toe
Spoiler
pro-boss-sis is also acceptable for the former
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

This thread is hot for early December. I added 1/24/85: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6490

Player pics of Gary Weisbrod (1/23/85 - glasses), (1/24) Tink Miller and Jim Timmermann (1/23 & 1/24 - mustache):
Spoiler
Paul attempted the nice guy day 5 gesture of wagering such that if he missed it and 2nd place doubled he could retire while the runner-up could keep playing. Sometimes it worked out and other times it did not. And at other times over the years the leader would still bet to win by a buck. Champ's choice and it went both ways many times.

The scattered applause of these S1 games is so annoying as well as Alex at times trying to pick up the pace as if almost frantic.

A big thank you to wescovington for allowing me to see the games so that they can be archived.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

I uploaded the October 13, 1986 episode to the Internet Archive. This was Dave Traini's 2nd game.
https://archive.org/details/jeopardyoctober131986
wescovington
Contributor

Post by wescovington »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:39 pm This thread is hot for early December. I added 1/24/85: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6490

Player pics of Gary Weisbrod (1/23/85 - glasses), (1/24) Tink Miller and Jim Timmermann (1/23 & 1/24 - mustache):
Spoiler
Paul attempted the nice guy day 5 gesture of wagering such that if he missed it and 2nd place doubled he could retire while the runner-up could keep playing. Sometimes it worked out and other times it did not. And at other times over the years the leader would still bet to win by a buck. Champ's choice and it went both ways many times.

The scattered applause of these S1 games is so annoying as well as Alex at times trying to pick up the pace as if almost frantic.

A big thank you to wescovington for allowing me to see the games so that they can be archived.
In this game, was the ruling on Ma Parker/Ma Barker correct? I had thought if you corrected yourself before Alex ruled, you would not be ruled wrong. We were sad at the taping because my brother lost out on his chance to add another anecdote with Alex.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

wescovington wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:39 pm This thread is hot for early December. I added 1/24/85: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6490

Spoiler

In this game, was the ruling on Ma Parker/Ma Barker correct? I had thought if you corrected yourself before Alex ruled, you would not be ruled wrong. We were sad at the taping because my brother lost out on his chance to add another anecdote with Alex.
In 2019 a quick change of Parker to Barker before Alex rules would be fine. In Season 1 the nuances of judging were being worked out and such things were not always consistent (or fair) in early seasons. As an archivist I try my best to note how things went down.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

kablamfan11 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:22 pm I uploaded the October 13, 1986 episode to the Internet Archive. This was Dave Traini's 2nd game.
Got it done and it's not even bedtime yet: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6492

Thanks for sharing the game that nicely fills in a gap. I can't believe Ivory hasn't popped in yet with it being a Traini one.

After clue 29 of the DJ! round Alex mentions the name that would have been in clue 30. Dave indicated he knew who it was. I don't and left a [?] that I would be glad to fill in if a helpful boardie can please provide an assist.

Yeah, only game 2, and Dave was showing tenacity that gets to you to tournament finals.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 am
kablamfan11 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:22 pm I uploaded the October 13, 1986 episode to the Internet Archive. This was Dave Traini's 2nd game.
Got it done and it's not even bedtime yet: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6492

Thanks for sharing the game that nicely fills in a gap. I can't believe Ivory hasn't popped in yet with it being a Traini one.

After clue 29 of the DJ! round Alex mentions the name that would have been in clue 30. Dave indicated he knew who it was. I don't and left a [?] that I would be glad to fill in if a helpful boardie can please provide an assist.

Yeah, only game 2, and Dave was showing tenacity that gets to you to tournament finals.
Thanks. I'll upload the other 1986 game tomorrow.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 am

A Daily Double in STUPID ANSWERS? Interesting.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

TIL the song predated the Muppets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mah_N%C3%A0_Mah_N%C3%A0

(Mark, you may want to note spelling, Mah Nà Mah Nà)
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

I uploaded the 1986 (Janet vs Marji vs Michael) episode on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/jeopardyoctober1986
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Hey kablamfan11, or Trevor(animfan), do you know if Janet Stevenson became the champion the episode after Dave Traini became an undefeated champ? That'll pinpoint the Game #s for Janet Stevenson easier by that or we can research the October 1986 newspaper about Janet's J! run.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:36 pm Hey kablamfan11, or Trevor(animfan), do you know if Janet Stevenson became the champion the episode after Dave Traini became an undefeated champ? That'll pinpoint the Game #s for Janet Stevenson easier by that or we can research the October 1986 newspaper about Janet's J! run.
Should I wait for more info about the date or mark it as 10/22/86 with a note the date may not be correct?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Personally, I'd go ahead and mark it as 10/22/86 (which was my guess for the airdate as well) and archive it when you get a chance to do so.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:36 pm Hey kablamfan11, or Trevor(animfan), do you know if Janet Stevenson became the champion the episode after Dave Traini became an undefeated champ? That'll pinpoint the Game #s for Janet Stevenson easier by that or we can research the October 1986 newspaper about Janet's J! run.
Probably do a research on the October 1986 newspaper about Janet's J! run.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What I'm calling 10/22/86 (for now) is in thanks to kablamfan11 sharing another upload: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6494

Like last night with the Indian name request I have another one from this game. Clue 5 of the DJ! round I do not know what Michael guessed. Help, please.

I can't believe that in one game I ran into the trifecta of the degrees symbol, cents sign, and a chemical formula needing the <sub> tag.

The FJ! clue going TS in 1986? Come on people like Alex said, "Do the math."
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:56 pm What I'm calling 10/22/86 (for now) is in thanks to kablamfan11 sharing another upload: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6494

Like last night with the Indian name request I have another one from this game. Clue 5 of the DJ! round I do not know what Michael guessed. Help, please.

I can't believe that in one game I ran into the trifecta of the degrees symbol, cents sign, and a chemical formula needing the <sub> tag.

The FJ! clue going TS in 1986? Come on people like Alex said, "Do the math."
I'll find some more unarchived stuff later this month.