New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^9/19/95 was archived a long time ago:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4495

kablamfan11
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kablamfan11 »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:10 pm
^9/19/95 was archived a long time ago:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4495
Oh, I didn't know that.

Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

The Sept 20, 1995 game with Albina's 3rd game against Marie and Nancy is now posted at Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19 ... 0920p1.mov)

clprez

Post by clprez »

When I clicked on the Season 36 link, Google Translate asked me if I wanted to translate it. It assumed it was Norwegian. I couldn't figure out what triggered it.

Oops...I didn't indicate that I found this funny and just wanted to share.

kablamfan11
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kablamfan11 »

The 9/21/95 episode is now up on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19950921

jlgarfield
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jlgarfield »

^ One of the contestants on that show, Keith Bush, posted highlights of his games on YouTube a few years ago.

kablamfan11
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kablamfan11 »

jlgarfield wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:31 pm
^ One of the contestants on that show, Keith Bush, posted highlights of his games on YouTube a few years ago.
okay. It's nice that his 1st game is up on the Internet Archive in full. He would win his 2nd game on 9/22/95 but lost on 9/25/95 to Linda Roberts.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

clprez wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:49 pm
When I clicked on the Season 36 link, Google Translate asked me if I wanted to translate it. It assumed it was Norwegian. I couldn't figure out what triggered it.

I always thought this was funny, too. I wish I knew what triggered it and what I could do, coding-wise, to forfend against it.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:19 pm
clprez wrote:

I always thought this was funny, too. I wish I knew what triggered it and what I could do, coding-wise, to forfend against it.
Was it using Chrome? I had that happen earlier today while connected to work email server

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:19 pm
clprez wrote:

Was it using Chrome? I had that happen earlier today while connected to work email server
I just clicked the link in Chrome and there was no translate prompt.

kablamfan11
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kablamfan11 »

The 9/22/95 episode is now up on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19950922

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

kablamfan11 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:08 pm
culxnthusst03 has uploaded the 9/11/95 episode on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19950911
I have a little time here at work, so I've started this game, but any other archivist can take the following games if they want. I've still got a pretty healthy queue at home.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:01 pm
kablamfan11 wrote:
I have a little time here at work, so I've started this game, but any other archivist can take the following games if they want. I've still got a pretty healthy queue at home.
I'll call dibs on the 9/25/92 one.

kablamfan11
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kablamfan11 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:01 pm
kablamfan11 wrote:
Okay.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/25/92 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6595

You can see player pics of Judy Deck, Tom Hughes and Marty Brophy here: https://archive.org/details/jeopardysep ... online.com

I heard Kenner and Upper Jay for the challenger towns. If someone has another opinion then let me know.

Both times I typed "Leopard" my fingers and brain had other ideas as I reflexively added a Y at the end.

Good game with only 5 TS clues and tough break for Tom not knowing at the time he needed a smaller bet at DD3 on clue 29.

Alex being Alex in commenting on wrong guesses by the players.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:05 pm
I heard Kenner and Upper Jay for the challenger towns. If someone has another opinion then let me know.
Correct on both counts.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think I would have bet $500 on that DD. They allowed co-champs at the time so that way I don’t get eliminated on a miss and being tied means I get to return as long as I get FJ.

mjhunt
Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Bamaman wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:38 am
I think I would have bet $500 on that DD. They allowed co-champs at the time so that way I don’t get eliminated on a miss and being tied means I get to return as long as I get FJ.
In this particular case, it would have worked out better to bet $500.
But, it is important to note that whether co-champs are allowed or not, being tied for the lead is still a disadvantage versus having a sole lead. If you are tied, unless you are willing to risk losing due to underwagering, you are forced to bet it all on FJ, guaranteeing a loss if you miss.Whereas with a sole lead, you can leave some behind and still cover a double-up.
So, you might consider wagering for the tie in some cases, but it was never ideal.
That is why I always ask when people talk about colluding to tie, if they mean colluding to enter FJ tied. That is a suicide move under any set of rules and nothing S&P should be concerned about, given the double loss possibility.

Of course, today I think it virtually never makes sense to wager for a tie on a DD. In fact, I think it almost bordered on obnoxious for Alex to bait Felicity to cause a three-way pre-DJ tie on Friday.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If he had gone into FJ with a slight lead, he would still have to bet almost all of it on FJ. But I agree I wouldn’t be seeking out a tie unless the math demanded it, such as in this scenario.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 am
If he had gone into FJ with a slight lead, he would still have to bet almost all of it on FJ. But I agree I wouldn’t be seeking out a tie unless the math demanded it, such as in this scenario.
Yeah, the obvious point is that if you hit a late DD in first place and you lead your nearest opponent by more than the remaining clues on the board, it's poor strategy to wager more than your lead minus the value of the remaining clues (if you're not going for a lock, anyway). A similar move by her opponent (followed by her snatching up the two $1,000 clues afterward) sealed India Cooper's fifth victory. Though I should be fair and note Kurt led $8,400 to $4,600 when he bet $2,000 on his last DD, so he was at least shooting for lock territory. It would have been a tenuous spot, so I wonder if he was anticipating that he and India would split the remaining $2,000, and therefore aimed for having a $11,400 to $5,600 lock when the smoke cleared. If that was the case, the margin of the lock he aimed for ended up being the margin by which he missed becoming a co-champion and returning alone, and he probably kicked himself for rounding up.