New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Obviously, you're going to archive the final 1989 College game tomorrow (which I understand), but I would like to make these requests for archived episodes after that if possible:

May 13, 1991 - 1991 College Semifinals #1
May 13, 1992 - 1992 College Semifinals #3
May 12, 1994 - 1994 College Finals #1
May 13, 1994 - 1994 College Finals #2
May 5, 1995 - 1995 College Quarterfinals #5
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 5/19/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6671

That completes the 1989 College Championship. Tom's phraseology gaffe was just a bump in the road for him instead of a haunting disaster. We now have archival proof about Tom's streak of FJ! clues in a row right.

The game had a TV THEMES category and it's the type of fun thing I like to share:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cOOQ3 ... cQcd5KdUQ8

Plus, it will give plenty of ammunition for the suggestion correction crew as there is never a chance I archive that type of category cleanly.

Jeff: You must like the saying, "The early bird gets the worm" as I do not recall asking for requests. Yet. The next four games I want to enter are the missing ones from the 2nd week of the 1989 Teen Tournament to get Eric Newhouse complete. After those four I can look into the five you want.

Robert, Myron, Andy (and any other archivists I'm forgetting): Are there other tourney games I posted promises about doing this May/June/Summer, etc. or it's dealer's choice? I'm caught up on shared regular play games as far as I know.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Do you have many Seniors games in your secret underground vault?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 pm Do you have many Seniors games in your secret underground vault?
Without checking game by game, my hope/expectation is I have all of the Seniors from 1990 on. For Teens I thought it was true until I found I did not have 1995 QF 1. For College last summer it was 1991 F2 that had the unexpected missing portion.

If there is something you want it's fine to post. If it is Seniors in general then I would probably look for one closer to completion such as 1993 only needing the 3 SF games to complete it.

If there are 130-something tourney games missing I still like to think I have at least 110 of them and optimistically more as I did try to get them all as best I could over the years.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:42 pmAre there other tourney games I posted promises about doing this May/June/Summer, etc. or it's dealer's choice?
I don't keep track of all your promises (that sounds like a great title for a lost Monkeys tune) but I'm grateful for each and every clue you enter
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/14/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6673

Player pic of Stan Wu who played Dan Chase & Kristen Brimus:
Spoiler
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Just out of curiosity, how come seasons 3-6 are a lot more filled in than seasons 7-11? I thought the audio daily doubles in the earlier seasons were a hindrance to them getting replayed on GSN or wherever else they would show up.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:14 pm Just out of curiosity, how come seasons 3-6 are a lot more filled in than seasons 7-11? I thought the audio daily doubles in the earlier seasons were a hindrance to them getting replayed on GSN or wherever else they would show up.
It's a simple issue of one of the titan Archivists simply not recording the show during a good portion of that time:
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:46 pm From Nov. 1992 - June 1995 I watched J! while playing along on an Interactive Network device. Other than tourney/celeb games I did very little recording as by then the show was on at 7 and I was home.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:14 pm Just out of curiosity, how come seasons 3-6 are a lot more filled in than seasons 7-11? I thought the audio daily doubles in the earlier seasons were a hindrance to them getting replayed on GSN or wherever else they would show up.
I'm not sure, GSN did rerun Season 9 in full pretty much, but the Seasons 10-11 episodes were Celebrity episodes, if it wasn't for the Dark Period, we may not have get to see any episodes beyond the first 2 seasons of J! and we'd not have the J-Archive site. I mean, we have all 230 FJs each from Season 9 and Season 12. So whatever "new" uploads come up from those seasons we'll be looking forward to capturing very quickly.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:54 pm
It's a simple issue of one of the titan Archivists simply not recording the show during a good portion of that time:
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:46 pm From Nov. 1992 - June 1995 I watched J! while playing along on an Interactive Network device. Other than tourney/celeb games I did very little recording as by then the show was on at 7 and I was home.
For example: Who was on the show the week of September 9-13, 1991? I know Steve Newman was there.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/15/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6674

Pics of Ryan Godfrey & Eric Newhouse who played Matt Pearson:
Spoiler
Fans will enjoy this DD presentation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PF6RN ... lCYA2FHEFE
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:54 am Fans will enjoy this DD presentation:
He looks like he had a pandemic hairdo.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That was a style of DD presentation I have not seen!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/16/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6675

Eric Newhouse, Stan Wu and Elena Whitley in F1.

S3 was close to perfection while this game was a little rougher for the players.

The audio DD is like "Bette Davis Eyes" in that hearing it instantly transports me back to the summer of '81. Those were two of the inescapable hits from that year.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/17/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6676

That completes what I have (or found so far) of the 1989 Teen Tournament. It also makes Eric Newhouse complete for his games.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 5/13/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6677

Player pics of André DuVoisin Michael Cantor & Katie Czukas:
Spoiler
Jeff: I've confirmed I have your other four requests and will knock them out later this week.

Other tourney requests are fine and I'll try to share the wealth as best I can.
Rule 1: Make sure you confirm the game(s) you want are not already in the archive
Rule 2: No more than five at a time from any one person

The order and whether Teen, College or Senior makes no difference to me.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

I think I've mentioned this before in the past, but Katie and André DuVoisin proposed to each other, IIRC.

Re: Clue 25 in & IN OTHER NEWS...: That ballpark is now regarded as a beauty. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jlgarfield wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:25 pm I think I've mentioned this before in the past, but Katie and André DuVoisin proposed to each other, IIRC.

Re: Clue 25 in & IN OTHER NEWS...: That ballpark is now regarded as a beauty. :D
Is, and always has been. It's always amazed me how they got everything right at Camden Yards, especially since it was the first of the retro parks. It's gotten a little aged, but it's still a great place to see a game. Damn, now I'm jonesing for some Boogs' BBQ.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

^ Had the good fortune of going to Camden Yards twice when the Orioles had those playoffs teams in the early 2010s. Absolutely beautiful park in person.

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:13 pm
The audio DD is like "Bette Davis Eyes" in that hearing it instantly transports me back to the summer of '81. Those were two of the inescapable hits from that year.
I know you enjoy watching The Goldbergs as I do... the show is how I first became familiar with that song. :lol:

Other tourney requests are fine and I'll try to share the wealth as best I can.
Rule 1: Make sure you confirm the game(s) you want are not already in the archive
Rule 2: No more than five at a time from any one person

The order and whether Teen, College or Senior makes no difference to me.
Thanks for opening up requests and for all of your work lately. I hope you don't mind me ID'ing players as opposed to dates as I couldn't quite pin all of them down - maybe someone else can help out if they have that info.

* Todd Konkel '95 College SF-- it's one of May 8, 9, or 10
* Matt Zielenski '95 Teen QF - through some thread digging, narrowed it down to Feb. 9 or 10
* April McManus '92 Teen QF- should be Feb. 28, 1992 (QF5)
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:35 pm
Thanks for opening up requests and for all of your work lately. I hope you don't mind me ID'ing players as opposed to dates as I couldn't quite pin all of them down - maybe someone else can help out if they have that info.

* Todd Konkel '95 College SF-- it's one of May 8, 9, or 10
* Matt Zielenski '95 Teen QF - through some thread digging, narrowed it down to Feb. 9 or 10
* April McManus '92 Teen QF- should be Feb. 28, 1992 (QF5)
That format is fine by me. Whether player, date, year, QF, SF, F with specification, T, C or S tourney, just give me enough so there is no doubt what's wanted.

I checked on each of the three to find that I have the beginning of each of them so it's very likely I have them in full. If all goes well they'll be in by this time next week.