New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive -- 2/20/19

Post by rmfromfla »

Yep, I was waiting for Victor Borge in the background to sound off all the missing punctuation marks!
:lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive -- 2/20/19

Post by opusthepenguin »

rmfromfla wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 am Yep, I was waiting for Victor Borge in the background to sound off all the missing punctuation marks!
:lol:
Man that was a great routine. I wonder how many hours of practice it took to get to the point where he could rattle it off perfectly. Because it doesn't work unless you can nail the delivery with no pauses or stutters, and Borge nailed it.
TenPoundHammer

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm Hammer would not be amused at the misdirection in PANCREAS... $800
Joke's on you. I ran the category. $800 didn't throw me at all, because "It contains notes, charts, tables & lists" obviously isn't going to be a pancreas or spleen.

Also ran the "Y" Me category.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm Hammer would not be amused at the misdirection in PANCREAS... $800
Joke's on you. I ran the category. $800 didn't throw me at all, because "It contains notes, charts, tables & lists" obviously isn't going to be a pancreas or spleen.

Also ran the "Y" Me category.
[apologies and applause]
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 amthose quotation marks ... imply that the sport doesn't exactly involve sailing
We should not forget the old Jeopardy! device that quotation marks can also be a hint that the quoted portion is in the expected response.

I recall specifically that this point was briefed to the contestants when I taped my games.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Well, after All-Star show #1 aired in my area today, a quick 360 degree turnaround with MeTV airing the "Mama's Family" J! episode again with the classic Season 4 set, graphics & a somewhat younger Alex.....
:shock:
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:26 pm I added 7/6/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6093 to give the 1992 Seniors Tournament its first representation in the Archive.

Player pics of Richard Worth, Martha Thompson & Mag Birge:
Spoiler

Obit for Richard: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcen ... pid=848384

What was shown for the Video DD:
Spoiler
Wow, did Mag throw away at least $4,000 as she should have made the semis.
Some poking around led me to information indicating Mag was the daughter-in-law of the referee in the basketball game in Hoosiers. (The actual game, not in the movie).

Re: Re: The 1992 Seniors Tournament: I seem to remember a moment on the old J! boards over a decade ago about how the eventual winner, Leonard Schmidt, put down for his Final Jeopardy answer "Lower Slobbovia".
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jlgarfield wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 pm Re: Re: The 1992 Seniors Tournament: I seem to remember a moment on the old J! boards over a decade ago about how the eventual winner, Leonard Schmidt, put down for his Final Jeopardy answer "Lower Slobbovia".
That's a made up name! Leonard Schmidt. How dumb do you think we are?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:11 pm That's a made up name! Leonard Schmidt. How dumb do you think we are?
Seriously!
JHawk
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JHawk »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm While working on a game to input tomorrow (John Hawekotte's next game), John mentioned he was working on a screenplay. Curious about it I put his name into Google and turned this up: http://www.hawekotte.com/our-team

The line that caught my eye?

An avid reader and learner, John is a five-time Jeopardy! champion and enjoys participating in local trivia competitions.

I think the resume is a bit padded. ;)
Actually, Mark, it is remarkable that Jeff Richmond happened to defeat two former champions of the Art Fleming era in his stint in 1988. I won three games on January 10th, 11th and 12th, 1971. Then I won two games in 1988 before being defeated by Jeff. Until I read this thread just now, I was not aware that any other Art Fleming veterans had appeared on the Los Angeles version of the show.

Now that I am aware of Perry Barber's having appeared on both versions, I can no longer brag to people that I am the only person in history to have lost two regularly scheduled JEOPARDY! broadcasts. Rats!

John Hawekotte
JHawk

Post by JHawk »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm While working on a game to input tomorrow (John Hawekotte's next game), John mentioned he was working on a screenplay. Curious about it I put his name into Google and turned this up: http://www.hawekotte.com/our-team

An avid reader and learner, John is a five-time Jeopardy! champion and enjoys participating in local trivia competitions.

Is it possible that he also won three games on one of the Art Fleming versions? That was the explanation for why Perry Barber (who also lost to Jeff Richmond :!:) is still able to call herself a champion, as was talked about way upthread.
Dear Cheezguyty -

Thanks for coming to my defense. Below is the reply I just sent to MarkBarrett regarding my "resume padding."

Best regards,

John Hawekotte

"Actually, Mark, it is remarkable that Jeff Richmond happened to defeat two former champions of the Art Fleming era in his stint in 1988. I won three games on January 10th, 11th and 12th, 1971. Then I won two games in 1988 before being defeated by Jeff. Until I read this thread just now, I was not aware that any other Art Fleming veterans had appeared on the Los Angeles version of the show.

Now that I am aware of Perry Barber's having appeared on both versions, I can no longer brag to people that I am the only person in history to have lost two regularly scheduled JEOPARDY! broadcasts. Rats!

John Hawekotte"
JHawk

Post by JHawk »

RichmondJ wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:09 pm Thanks so much for putting that game up, Myron. I've always remembered that I was really lucky to win it, but I hadn't seen it for more than 20 years until last week, when Christopher digitized it from an old VHS tape that a friend of my mother's found. I remembered almost nothing about the material (or the course of the game, except for FJ!). Man, it was a long time ago!
Hi, Jeff -

I did not follow up on how well you did after beating me in 1988, both because I had a lot going on at the time and, more importantly, I was disappointed that I had not done better and stopped watching the show for quite some time. I feel much better now, thank you, realizing how just well you eventually did. Allow me to give you a thirty-one-years-overdue congratulations!

By the way, I don't know if you realized it, but you beat, not just one, but two Art Fleming era champions - Perry Barber and me. Until this evening, when I was perusing this board for the first time, I didn't realize that any LA contestant but me had ever appeared on the New York version of the show. For years, I have been bragging that, although it was nice to be a five-time champion (three in NY and two in LA), I was prouder of the fact that I was the only person in history to have lost two regularly scheduled games. Wrong again - damn!

I hope that life has been good to you, Jeff. I'm proud to have been one of your defeated foes.

Best regards,

John Hawekotte
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Here's another contestant who lost two regular-play games.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JHawk wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:27 am

Actually, Mark, it is remarkable that Jeff Richmond happened to defeat two former champions of the Art Fleming era in his stint in 1988. I won three games on January 10th, 11th and 12th, 1971. Then I won two games in 1988 before being defeated by Jeff. Until I read this thread just now, I was not aware that any other Art Fleming veterans had appeared on the Los Angeles version of the show.

John Hawekotte
Welcome to the board John and I do apologize for publicly doubting your status as having won 5 games. For your J-Archive bio page I added a line for your three wins in 1971. If you happen to recall the amount I can add that to it.

For your second Trebek game the Archive does not have the job or city for opponent Jean. If you still have a working copy of your games and if not too much trouble could you please cue up that information and share it?

Thank you and congratulations on having success on two versions of J!

Here is another one who did both: http://jeopardy19toc.tripod.com/levaren.htm

Other names are eluding me now although there have been more with both Fleming and Trebek J! success. Often it would turn up at chat time with Alex mentioning the contestant also appeared on the Fleming version.

As the Senior Tournament games get added I suspect more names will turn up. I'm thinking one of the TOC competitors from Fleming definitely played in the Seniors Tournament.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

GoodStrategy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:12 am Here's another contestant who lost two regular-play games.
Larissa Kelly's sister, Arianna, would be another:

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=4622
JHawk

Post by JHawk »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 am
JHawk wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:27 am

John Hawekotte
Welcome to the board John and I do apologize for publicly doubting your status as having won 5 games. For your J-Archive bio page I added a line for your three wins in 1971. If you happen to recall the amount I can add that to it.

For your second Trebek game the Archive does not have the job or city for opponent Jean. If you still have a working copy of your games and if not too much trouble could you please cue up that information and share it?

Thank you and congratulations on having success on two versions of J!

Here is another one who did both: http://jeopardy19toc.tripod.com/levaren.htm

Other names are eluding me now although there have been more with both Fleming and Trebek J! success. Often it would turn up at chat time with Alex mentioning the contestant also appeared on the Fleming version.

As the Senior Tournament games get added I suspect more names will turn up. I'm thinking one of the TOC competitors from Fleming definitely played in the Seniors Tournament.
Mark -

Duh!

I just looked at an old kinescope (on a CD) from my 1972 games and realized that the first question in those days was $10, not $5 as I wrote to you earlier today.

I've just made a great case for my not appearing ever again, no matter how old the contestants may be.

With regard to Jean's info, unfortunately my video of that game does not pick up the game until late in single Jeopardy. I paid a service to convert my old files a few years ago and they botched the job. Sorry.

If you're lucky, you won't hear from me again any time soon.

John
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni4 has posted the April 16, 1996 episode at the Internet Archive:

http://archive.org/details/@pannoni4
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:11 pm
jlgarfield wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 pm Re: Re: The 1992 Seniors Tournament: I seem to remember a moment on the old J! boards over a decade ago about how the eventual winner, Leonard Schmidt, put down for his Final Jeopardy answer "Lower Slobbovia".
Not sure whether you were joking or not, but I do remember the "Lower Slobbovia" thing from the old boards; does anybody know anything more?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jlgarfield wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:12 pm
Not sure whether you were joking or not, but I do remember the "Lower Slobbovia" thing from the old boards; does anybody know anything more?
Going to the tape, I found it in Leonard's QF game. He had 10800 (old values of course) and stayed pat (by coincidence he was playing a Pat) and Leonard wrote, "What is Lower Slobovia."

Yeah, I know, it's only fair at this point to share the FJ! clue itself

NATIONS OF THE WORLD: In one of its official languages, this country is called Repiblik Dayti

Correct response:
Spoiler
Haiti - Pat Fine did 9200+6000 to win, middle guy lost all of his 3100
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jlgarfield wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:12 pm
Not sure whether you were joking or not
That's my specialty.