New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:21 pm Now Mark, on the SF #1 of 1998 College Championship at UC Berkeley, Alex Weathers was supposed to be seen on the left side of the screen and Adia Benton is supposed to be in the center of the screen. I have no idea why. Any evidence?
In 2022 anything I may have read online about the tourney is long forgotten.

I can confirm Adia was in the champ's spot, Alex in the center and Kristen in the 3 slot.

As for why?
First name alphabetical works for SF1 and 3 though not for 2.

Alex won the most of the three in his QF game but was a WC along with Adia while Kristen won her game.

Random draw for all three spots?

Perhaps it was FMF, FMF, MFM to have the pattern of lone gender in the middle?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:10 pm Appears to be an unnecessary colon ... someone has performed a colectomy.
Always better than an unnecessary colectomy, I always say.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:27 pm ...

I added the 13 clues of segment one I had for 5/30/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6065

Player pics of Nancy Dorn, Morgan Spector and Robert Windeler:
Spoiler

Finally, Pluto showed a game the archive needs! Just kidding.

However, I did get hold of a complete copy of the game to archive it fully.

DJ16: Ugh!

I also have 5/31/89 to hopefully get to tomorrow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 5/31/89: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7427

Player pics of Yvonne & Don Connolly who played Robert Windeler:
Spoiler
The upload was not archive friendly as it had the challenger intros edited out and also did not include the prizes. More head-shaking was cutting out the beginning of the chat with Yvonne where Alex might have coughed up some bio information. All the clues were there for the most important part.

I wonder what a sample of the Wayne Newton song version would go for today as part of streaming rights? Yeah, less than the Dean Martin version.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:31 pm I added 5/31/89: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7427

Player pics of Yvonne & Don Connolly who played Robert Windeler:
Spoiler
The upload was not archive friendly as it had the challenger intros edited out and also did not include the prizes. More head-shaking was cutting out the beginning of the chat with Yvonne where Alex might have coughed up some bio information. All the clues were there for the most important part.

I wonder what a sample of the Wayne Newton song version would go for today as part of streaming rights? Yeah, less than the Dean Martin version.
8 unplayed clues is a lot for a regular season game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:28 pm ...
8 unplayed clues is a lot for a regular season game.
Especially by S5.

I wondered if Paul Grilley was going to get a welcome to the archive.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Season 2 1985 Frank/Richard/Cliff now on YT:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cliff is introduced as Cliff Miles Katskee. I'm checking into the other players' names now.

Edit: I've found two astrophysicists, both deceased, named Richard Schwartz. Richard A. Schwartz, who was born in 1952 and died December 12, 2020, seems to be a better fit for the contestant; his obituary mentions working for JPL, which squares with the contestant's introduction as being from La Cañada, plus I see more facial correspondence to the contestant in the American Astronomical Society's picture of Richard A. than in the AAS's picture of Richard D. (1941-2011), even though I would have thought the contestant looked more like someone in his forties.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:55 am Cliff is introduced as Cliff Miles Katskee. I'm checking into the other players' names now.

Edit: I've found two astrophysicists, both deceased, named Richard Schwartz. Richard A. Schwartz, who was born in 1952 and died December 12, 2020, seems to be a better fit for the contestant; his obituary mentions working for JPL, which squares with the contestant's introduction as being from La Cañada, plus I see more facial correspondence to the contestant in the one picture I've found of Richard A. and the contestant than in the one I've found of Richard D. (1941-2011), even though I would have thought the contestant looked more like someone in his forties.
Is this the middle guy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Sanello

Thanks for the help as always.

I have the game saved and can archive it later this morning or this afternoon.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:24 am Is this the middle guy?
No, it's the champ!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:32 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:24 am Is this the middle guy?
No, it's the champ!
The champ, right. Anyway, obviously all the information is there to proceed when I get to it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I found an article by Frank that alludes to his J! appearance at https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/379476262/ (you can see it by clicking "OCR," though you have to find it within a wall of text). It's actually a spoiler; he says in the April 15 article that he won $12,000 on the April 28 show, which means the show in the upload is from April 29, 1986. [edit: I see Trevor Panno beat me to the date in the YouTube comments]

edit: A year later, he wrote a mostly generic article about Alex and J! that makes no mention of his having played, which included this ridiculous paragraph: "Although Trebek looks like an over-the-hill male model, and often exhibits a blandness that makes a store mannequin seem controversial by comparison, the game-show host is no airhead and definitely not the male Vanna White."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:46 am I found an article by Frank that alludes to his J! appearance at https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/379476262/ (you can see it by clicking "OCR," though you have to find it within a wall of text). It's actually a spoiler; he says in the April 15 article that he won $12,000 on the April 28 show, which means the show in the upload is from April 29, 1986. [edit: I see Trevor Panno beat me to the date in the YouTube comments]
Another tasty tidbit from that article, something I'd never heard of before: Harry Eisenberg was then sharing an office with comedian Scott Rubin, who was, at the time, "currently working on a gag version of Jeopardy!" Rubin later, in 1999, started a tenure as the longest-serving editor-in-chief of National Lampoon, during which time he co-created and EP'd GSN's Funny Money. Looking at Rubin's TV credits, he really didn't hit his career stride until fully two decades after his aborted Jeopardy! assignment.

The article is also another good corroborating source for the fact that the show was only produced for 39 weeks in its first two seasons.

The article gets wrong Trebek's alma mater (University of Ottawa, not University of Toronto).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the YT upload I added 4/29/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7428

Player pics of Cliff Miles Katskee (dark jacket), Richard Schwartz (glasses) and Frank Sanello (yellow shirt):
Spoiler
The video was 0% to 10% visible for some clues in the first segment and I took my best guess on them.

DJ5 what was the incorrect guess?

FJ! correct response - I just went with the country in following the "this" rule while Richard's response was accepted without comment.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:50 pm DJ5 what was the incorrect guess?
What is a trompe l'oeil (optical illusion -- literally 'trick of the eye')?

He mispronounced the last part more like lwah, instead of the correct loi.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:50 pm DJ5 what was the incorrect guess?
What is a trompe l'oeil (optical illusion -- literally 'trick of the eye')?

He mispronounced the last part more like lwah, instead of the correct loi.
Oh, his way of saying it was so off that I did not recognize it even though I heard the first word correctly. Thanks, it's fixed.

One other oddity in the game was the score correction prior to revealing the FJ! clue when Alex did not specify the problem response. Cliff also scored $600 correct for the Vail clue, but his wordy response had to be good enough while the add-on to the empire clue was clearly wrong.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:50 pm Courtesy of the YT upload I added 4/29/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7428

Player pics of Cliff Miles Katskee (dark jacket), Richard Schwartz (glasses) and Frank Sanello (yellow shirt):
Spoiler
The video was 0% to 10% visible for some clues in the first segment and I took my best guess on them.

DJ5 what was the incorrect guess?

FJ! correct response - I just went with the country in following the "this" rule while Richard's response was accepted without comment.
Yeah I'm not sure what happened to the copy on that one for part of the first segment but it does go black for part of it, sorry about that.

Anyways thanks kablam for sharing my episode.
"Jeopardy! was Created by Merv Griffin." -Johnny Gilbert (1996-2000)
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Some notes we may have to add:
Show #2751 from July 15, 1996: First episode to have the Swiss 911 font display for the player intros and the return of the 10-second ads.
Show #2776 from September 30, 1996: First episode where the player interviews are reverted back to the beginning of the 2nd segment instead of the end of the segment.
Show #2795 from October 25, 1996: The final appearance of the ITC Korinna font in the end credits.
Show #2796 from October 28, 1996: The first appearance of the Swiss 911 font in the end credits. For some reason, the Swiss 911 was still used in the end credits until or through Show #3001, we need help from Mark Barrett or Carlosreact on that.
Show #3001 from September 22, 1997: First episode where Optima is used to display the episode's winner's total after FJ! and at the beginning of the episode, the champion's so far total is now "flipped in" one digit at a time, when Season 14 began, all digits were "flipped in" at once.
Show #3115 from February 27, 1998: The DJ! round's money values are seen popping-up for the final time.

Now I have a question about the GSN reminder seen during the end credits:
Was Day 4 of Dan Melia's run the first to have the GSN ad during the end credits?
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Someone remembered Jack Mahoney's episodes being Christmas Day to New Year's Eve 1992. Maybe you Erick(aka kablamfan11) can verify me on that and someone said Rudy became the last champion of the 1992 calendar year. If we like to see the fee plugs from his episodes, we hope those aren't the WJLA copies of those episodes as yes GSN reran his episodes during the Dark Period.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:49 pm Someone remembered Jack Mahoney's episodes being Christmas Day to New Year's Eve 1992. Maybe you Erick(aka kablamfan11) can verify me on that and someone said Rudy became the last champion of the 1992 calendar year. If we like to see the fee plugs from his episodes, we hope those aren't the WJLA copies of those episodes as yes GSN reran his episodes during the Dark Period.
Jack Mahoney's episodes ran from 12/25/92-12/31/92 so you are right.