New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4787
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:11 am

animfan wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 pm
I have completed my dibs call for May with 4/25/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1751

June - August I plan to set the time machine back a little further and I'll pick back up with S18 games in the fall.

All of the links worked although I'm never sure if I have properly marked them according to Archive protocols.

Fun Alex demo at IT'S A BOY! $1000 and I wonder if there is some other way to mark that clue when the subject of Alex doing things for clues comes up?

Not that it mattered for the end result but ouch on Nathan in TAIWAN $1000 as his guess fit everything except the pinned year.

The video for GODS $1600 is freaky and I may have nightmares.

Even though I've seem the game previously I still could not recall both names for the FJ! clue. Fortunately, I joined the players in only needing the one.
Another ouch on Nathan was in Oh My “Lord”! $2,000 as he added the past tense of eat in his response which cost him from being in contention.
It probably saved him second place, though; had he gotten that clue right, he may well have dropped into third with his sole miss on FJ. Without hope for victory he was able to hunker down and prevent Ellen from overtaking him.

Lore
Valued Contributor
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:27 am
Location: What is the capital of Manitoba?

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Lore » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 am

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 am
Animfan1 has posted the January 5, 1987 (the correct airdate for Keith Bell game 2) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
I was wondering whether this game is going to be finished being archived. It seems to have been at the one clue posted mark for a little while now (unless there's something wrong with my computer).

A big thank you for all the hard work everyone does in transcribing the games.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:13 am

Lore wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 am
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 am
Animfan1 has posted the January 5, 1987 (the correct airdate for Keith Bell game 2) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
I was wondering whether this game is going to be finished being archived. It seems to have been at the one clue posted mark for a little while now (unless there's something wrong with my computer).

A big thank you for all the hard work everyone does in transcribing the games.
Why wouldn't it eventually get finished?

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 7144
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:51 pm

David Rice played Robert Bottome & Linda Nelson http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5769

For the outside the U.S. collectors, Robert was introduced as originally from Caracas, Venezuela.

Player Pics:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
Kelly: The glasses the gentlemen wore are still in style, yes? ;)

If anyone wants a crack at Robert's illegible response for the FJ! round here you go:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image
What he may have been going for?
SpoilerShow
Plymouth?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5953
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:18 pm

"Southernmost New England state" seems like a total toss-up on CT/RI.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:51 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:51 pm
David Rice played Robert Bottome & Linda Nelson http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5769

For the outside the U.S. collectors, Robert was introduced as originally from Caracas, Venezuela.

Player Pics:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
Kelly: The glasses the gentlemen wore are still in style, yes? ;)

If anyone wants a crack at Robert's illegible response for the FJ! round here you go:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image
What he may have been going for?
SpoilerShow
Plymouth?
This game adds a third hit to the archive for "Whose Life is it Anyway?" (I added the second earlier this year.) What's interesting is that the 3 clues have practically no information in common, other than the words "paralyzed" and "question".

#6938, aired 2014-11-12 BLUNT FORCE DRAMA $2000: Ken Harrison's road accident leaves him paralyzed, suicidal & asking this title question in a 1978 play
#4128, aired 2002-07-10 QUESTION MARK $2000: In this play, later a movie, a young man paralyzed from the neck down fights for his right to die
#1414, aired 1990-10-25 IT'S QUESTIONABLE $500: Richard Dreyfuss played a paralyzed sculptor in this 1981 film

3 clues, each 12 years apart. Look for it again in 2026. :)

Also, my thanks to the contestants who simply gave the titles in IT'S QUESTIONABLE, rather than adding the extra phrasing. It's the right thing to do.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 7144
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 am

I received these posts on FB through commenting on one of my posts as I've never bothered with tight security protocols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twW1IW5ygjk

This episode aired on 1/30 or before and after 1/14 given DOnna Reed's death which happened on 1/14 is mentioned in the Enquirer commercial. FInal J! is not seen in this video and . This is probably Beryl's third game given she won four games and her total being low 40s, and her total given by Alex indicates she'd probably won two games beforehand.. The Enquirer date seen in the ad looks to be 2/4/1986 and is not 1/21/1986 as there is a pic of that cover found via a web search

*********
I have other games to do, so it's up for any archivist who wants it.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 7144
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Tom Morrison played Dave Gingold & John Alberti: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5770

Player Pics:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
This category did not have what I would call a normal looking dash so I gave it an em dash in the Archive:
Image

That category had an interesting clue with no letters: 3.14159265...

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:05 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 am
I received these posts on FB through commenting on one of my posts as I've never bothered with tight security protocols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twW1IW5ygjk

This episode aired on 1/30 or before and after 1/14 given DOnna Reed's death which happened on 1/14 is mentioned in the Enquirer commercial. FInal J! is not seen in this video and . This is probably Beryl's third game given she won four games and her total being low 40s, and her total given by Alex indicates she'd probably won two games beforehand.. The Enquirer date seen in the ad looks to be 2/4/1986 and is not 1/21/1986 as there is a pic of that cover found via a web search

*********
I have other games to do, so it's up for any archivist who wants it.
Curse the New York Times for not being more thorough in their reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/01/style ... -show.html

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8458
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Too bad that game tape is incomplete. It would have been interesting to see her FJ bet.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5380
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:01 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:51 pm
Also, my thanks to the contestants who simply gave the titles in IT'S QUESTIONABLE, rather than adding the extra phrasing. It's the right thing to do.
Maybe, but I don't blame anyone for doing it the "wrong" way. On the couch, I train myself not to get cute with my responses. It's the safest policy. I can just see getting a clue like: "2000 film with Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt sought this information." And I end up buzzing in and saying:
SpoilerShow
What women want?

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 921
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by trainman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:13 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 am
I received these posts on FB through commenting on one of my posts as I've never bothered with tight security protocols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twW1IW5ygjk

This episode aired on 1/30 or before and after 1/14 given DOnna Reed's death...
This is pretty clearly a certain former, now-banned, member of this forum. Up to you whether or not you want to block him on Facebook.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 7144
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:30 pm

trainman wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:13 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 am
I received these posts on FB through commenting on one of my posts as I've never bothered with tight security protocols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twW1IW5ygjk

This episode aired on 1/30 or before and after 1/14 given DOnna Reed's death...
This is pretty clearly a certain former, now-banned, member of this forum. Up to you whether or not you want to block him on Facebook.
Since he's been banned it's only been a few rare times he's commented on my wall and it's only been game show related, so I've not taken any action to prevent someone not on my friend list having access to commenting. Right, even if the post was not with his name, there would be no doubt who it was anyway.

********
Mark Weston played Linda Yonick & Jeff Scott: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5771

Player Pics:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
This game was worth archiving for the GAME SHOWS category alone. Well done by any of you who knew both of the "Let's" game shows of 1965. The writers were kind and only asked for one.

I liked Mark's miss in the $400 clue with Alan Ladd. He had the wrong guy and coupled that error with the wrong name.

Is there a famous game show host in his 90s still living today to go with: Dick Van Dyke, Tom Kennedy, Monty Hall & Peter Marshall? It would make a fun category.

The FJ! round? Sirens.

I won't get five games in the Archive next week, but I'll try to get two in before August is over.

User avatar
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by KellyLasiter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm

I think I had that same perm for a while in high school.

I'd have bombed that FJ as hard as the contestants did, no lie.

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Jeff-thecdboy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Betty White hosted a short-lived NBC daytime show in 1983 called "Just Men!" and actually won a Daytime Emmy for hosting it (she was the first female to win the Best Game Show Host Emmy award as a result).

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 7144
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:41 pm
Betty White hosted a short-lived NBC daytime show in 1983 called "Just Men!" and actually won a Daytime Emmy for hosting it (she was the first female to win the Best Game Show Host Emmy award as a result).
Oh, of course. So obvious. Thanks for a perfect choice to complete the set. Now let all of them still be alive in September, so I can't be blamed for bringing up the topic.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5953
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:12 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:30 pm
This game was worth archiving for the GAME SHOWS category alone. Well done by any of you who knew both of the "Let's" game shows of 1965. The writers were kind and only asked for one.
I actually knew them both. What I didn't know was anything in the Dick Van Dyke clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:17 pm

I was poking around the Final Jeopardy resource the other night, and I discovered that Season 7 featured a duplicated Final Jeopardy clue:

1991‑01‑02 THE 50 STATES THE 2 STATES BORDERING BOTH DAKOTAS, THEY EACH BEGIN WITH THE SAME LETTER
1990‑10‑22 THE FIFTY STATES THE 2 STATES BORDERED BY BOTH DAKOTAS
SpoilerShow
WHAT ARE MONTANA & MINNESOTA?
Slightly different phrasing, and an extra clue the second time around, but basically the same thing, and only 3 months apart. Same category even, though again, differently phrased, sort of.

Neither of these games is in the Archive.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8458
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:04 am

[quote=MarkBarrett post_id=257601 time=1503683162 user_id=76]
[quote=Jeff-thecdboy post_id=257600 time=1503682919 user_id=7193]
Betty White hosted a short-lived NBC daytime show in 1983 called "Just Men!" and actually won a Daytime Emmy for hosting it (she was the first female to win the Best Game Show Host Emmy award as a result).
[/quote]

Oh, of course. So obvious. Thanks for a perfect choice to complete the set. Now let all of them still be alive in September, so I can't be blamed for bringing up the topic.
[/quote]

Shame on you for forgetting Alan Ladd's wife.

I was going to say Wink Martindale but he is just 84. Regis turned 86 Friday.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4148
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jeff6286 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:04 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:46 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:41 pm
Betty White hosted a short-lived NBC daytime show in 1983 called "Just Men!" and actually won a Daytime Emmy for hosting it (she was the first female to win the Best Game Show Host Emmy award as a result).
Oh, of course. So obvious. Thanks for a perfect choice to complete the set. Now let all of them still be alive in September, so I can't be blamed for bringing up the topic.
Shame on you for forgetting Alan Ladd's wife.

I was going to say Wink Martindale but he is just 84. Regis turned 86 Friday.
Shame on you for forgetting that Alan Ladd died in 1964, and I believe his wives are all long passed.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: astrohip, Bing [Bot], NoName84, sims, xxaaaxx, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests