New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

10/30/91 Episode: Got all except Walter Johnson, $200-$500 in Celebrity, Tom Dooley, Kim, and Mountain Men.

10/26/93 Episode: Got all except Benson.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

rmfromfla wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:13 pm And those other challengers' names are:
Jim Newman
Denise Rechter
I shared the video with Jim, and he said the show never aired (at least first-run) in LA because of wildfire coverage; now they're calling the current fires the worst since 1993.
jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jlgarfield »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:34 pm
rmfromfla wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:13 pm And those other challengers' names are:
Jim Newman
Denise Rechter
I shared the video with Jim, and he said the show never aired (at least first-run) in LA because of wildfire coverage; now they're calling the current fires the worst since 1993.
Tangentially related, but another episode two years before that was (I think) preempted in the L.A. market: The 2/1/1991 episode, which was Leslie Frates' first game, was not shown because of coverage of the runway disaster occured that evening.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

Tangentially? what does that mean?
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ Something that is somewhat related.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

I Have a goal for the rest of 2018,

Find any missing episodes of season 19

Fill in any blank season 18 episodes and find the single missing episode.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

How Complete is the archive as of right now?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dell3234 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 pm I Have a goal for the rest of 2018,

Find any missing episodes of season 19

Fill in any blank season 18 episodes and find the single missing episode.
Good luck! Let us know what you come up with.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Yeah I'm curious, what is the missing episode of S18? All of the games seem to connect with the proper returning champions, and number of games won, as far as I know.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:57 pm Yeah I'm curious, what is the missing episode of S18? All of the games seem to connect with the proper returning champions, and number of games won, as far as I know.
special for 4000th episode with clips and no traditional game play. The ix-nay has been on for adding anything into the Archive about it.

Some comments back in the day: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... m825_qN9k0

Scroll up to 5/15/02
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

How many estimated episodes in the archive that still need to be entered in?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dell3234 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:55 pm How many estimated episodes in the archive that still need to be entered in?
You can estimate it with this equation:

Number remaining = total number of episodes - number already entered.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I was feeling generous today. Enjoy.

I was surprised at the (relatively) poor audio/video quality. I recorded these on the best setting, so I'd have them to keep (and never watch again. apparently). But 15 years of being stored in closets and garages have caused the tapes to erode considerably.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thanks, that was a real treat to watch. I find it strange that WoF did clip shows for both 3,000 and 4,000, but J! only 4,000.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 pm I was feeling generous today. Enjoy.

I was surprised at the (relatively) poor audio/video quality. I recorded these on the best setting, so I'd have them to keep (and never watch again. apparently). But 15 years of being stored in closets and garages have caused the tapes to erode considerably.
that was the 4000th episode? what a waste of an episode...was all a history of the show...no game...boring
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 1/30/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1387

All the links should be good

I had to use my uppercase/lowercase coin a lot as I was not sure how to do the 3 LETTERS IN 2 STATE NAMES or the $400 in "THOU" .

MILITARY BRATS $600 had me go for lowercase since "leavin'" is part of the lyric while "Leaving" is in the title. That one will probably cause some kind of correction suggestion war if anyone looks at the game.

FJ! round wagering. :roll:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:16 pm I know one of the challengers in that game because he usually proctors the WQC in Los Angeles. So of course Alex gave his and Rachael's last names in the interviews, and not the other challenger's.
Jim Newman
Denise Rechter
Jim Newman becomes the first contestant from annual-trivia-contest-holding-city Stevens Point, Wisconsin, to be added to the Archive. Assuming he's this guy, he's also mentioned in passing in Ken Jennings's Brainiac.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:56 am FJ! round wagering. :roll:
One of those rare occasions where a third place player wins on a triple get. I don't think we've seen it happen yet (outside of tournament QFs); someone always ends up getting it wrong.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:34 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:16 pm I know one of the challengers in that game because he usually proctors the WQC in Los Angeles. So of course Alex gave his and Rachael's last names in the interviews, and not the other challenger's.
Jim Newman
Denise Rechter
Jim Newman becomes the first contestant from annual-trivia-contest-holding-city Stevens Point, Wisconsin, to be added to the Archive. Assuming he's this guy, he's also mentioned in passing in Ken Jennings's Brainiac.
I know he's involved with the "Go Fact Yourself" podcast, and J. Keith van Straaten is a common factor between that and the "What's My Line" live show mentioned in that Wikipedia article, so it seems like a safe assumption to make.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:43 pm pannoni3 has posted the October 26, 1993 (Rachael Schwartz game 3, starts at clue #12) episode on Dailymotion:

And I had a slow overnight at work, so this game is now entered:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6153

Insert my usual boilerplate about how these games are chock full of nice, meaty facts, perfect for gaining knowledge quickly.

Shame about that missing category name in the J! round. Ah well, I bet it turns up one day eventually.

During the interview Alex mentions that Jim is a soda jerk, but I can't tell if he was actually introduced that way, or if Alex is just joking about something else on his card, so I've left that blank.

Clue of the game will be 1970 for $1000, a name I assumed wouldn't have many hits in the archive. I was, shall we say, mistaken.
This prince was deposed by General Lon Nol in Cambodia
Spoiler
Who is Norodom Sihanouk?
No chance of getting other recently posted early game (October 30, 1991) finished tonight, but I might be able to get it started. We'll see.