New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

So before I get to my most recently entered new old game, I finished up game 1 of last year's ToC finals. I assume it just slipped through the cracks, but it's entirely possible that it was deliberately skipped due to the presence of the single worst J! category to archive of all time, TRIPLE RHYME TIME. There's always a lot of chatter that goes with these, and a greater than average chance that even top players will be hornswoggled trying to get the response exactly right. Seriously, the correction suggestion page for this game has like 20 pending suggestions for copyediting the extra info. It's a nightmare. Anyway, enjoy that look behind the scenes.

Today's game will be December 23, 1988, Jeff Richmond game 1. I had 2 different people send me copies of this game on Thursday: Jeff himself and also Christopher Denault, who was digitizing the tape for Jeff! Independent of each other, even. Thanks for thinking of us, both of you.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5884

The other players are Champ John Hawekotte and challenger Lisa Beach, who is still a successful casting director today. According to this link, she was scheduled to be on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston on 9/11!

This is a tough game of the "late '80s" variety. Like, the pop culture skews older, so a lot of the clues are things they wouldn't ask about any more. As opposed to the mid-'90s games, about which I've spoken before, which are full of the timeless basic general knowledge you need to be a good J! player.

Players did not get through all 5 clues in the CHRISTMAS MUSIC category, so Alex let us know what the fifth one was going to be before going into the break. That was nice.

The GOLFERS category is pretty tough today. I'd say the $500 clue is actually the easiest now, and may even have been back then. And the $300 clue requires a deeper dive than I'm prepared to give it here. Maybe in the "Reretaken Down" thread, if I feel like it. (Spoiler alert, I won't.)

Jeff fell into the trap in FARMING for $300. And I'll pick FARMING for $400 as clue of the game. I did not know it, but I'd heard of the correct response:
Possibly from Middle English for "barter", this type of farmer raises vegetables for market
Spoiler
What is truck farming?
U.S.A. for $400 (J!) is a name worth knowing. It's a pretty easy guess if you have the name in your working knowledge of Michigan locales, but you'll miss it like me if you don't:
The French named this oldest permanent settlement in Michigan in honor of the Virgin Mary
Spoiler
What is Sault Ste. Marie? (Sault is pronounced "Soo".)
There's also a lot of good stuff in the DJ! round; it's worth checking out. (I always say that.) I do not believe that FJ! is accurate anymore.

Christopher also provided me with partial video of Jeff's 3rd game. You can click through to see those clues. Thanks again to both of you, and have a good night.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Comment on the FJ in Jeff’s game.
Spoiler
Amazing that the correct show (now) in that FJ was a year away from its debut.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Thanks so much for putting that game up, Myron. I've always remembered that I was really lucky to win it, but I hadn't seen it for more than 20 years until last week, when Christopher digitized it from an old VHS tape that a friend of my mother's found. I remembered almost nothing about the material (or the course of the game, except for FJ!). Man, it was a long time ago!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The Simpsons definitely makes the FJ in Jeff's game 1 outdated.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has posted the December 26, 1985 episode:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:14 pm Animfan1 has posted the December 26, 1985 episode:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
A fun watch. One player became a pretty well-known producer.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0110983/

Alex clearly anticipated the archive, as he has the player spell his last name even though he has it written on his card.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

can you try to upload some of the season 1 games and finish up all missing episodes from seasons 18 and 19. Thanks
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dell3234 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 pm can you try to upload some of the season 1 games and finish up all missing episodes from seasons 18 and 19. Thanks
Would you like a military parade to go with that?
:roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

Yes but i think adding episodes from season 9 would help?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dell3234 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:57 pm Yes but i think adding episodes from season 9 would help?
You should send some to them so they can get crackin'!
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

here is a link to some videos that i found

Maybe you and the other people who are login at this time to find missing episodes thanks.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

maybe you and other members of the jboard community add as much art fleming epsiodes as you can to the J! Archive? Thanks
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dell3234 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:09 pm maybe you and other members of the jboard community add as much art fleming epsiodes as you can to the J! Archive? Thanks
Not that way that works. There are a very few volunteer Archivists. They do what they can, when they can, if they can.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

Can you try to find missing episodes
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

can we expand the J! archive to include the original Jeopardy run from 1964 to 1975, and the all new Jeopardy! run from 1978 to 1979. Please Reply Back. Thanks
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

There are less than a handful of episodes of the original "Jeopardy!" run known to be in existence, so unless you've got a time machine, your request is impossible to fulfill.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

can you please ask other members who are trying to find missing episodes to check dailymotion and YouTube.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dell3234 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:06 pm here is a link to some videos that i found

Maybe you and the other people who are login at this time to find missing episodes thanks.
Both those games are archived already
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

Which ones aren't uploaded yet on the archive
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dell3234 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:53 pm Which ones aren't uploaded yet on the archive
Maybe you should figure that out yourself before you start making demands