New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Mathew5000 »

legendneverdies wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 pm Pannoni3 AKA MIchael Pannoni placed on his Dailymotion page the 9/11/87 episode, from the last seven clues of the first round through the end. Categories in round one look to be Canada, Dry, Christmas, Seals, TV, and "Guide"
Robert K S wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:08 pm More significantly, one of the two losing challengers is Denny Golden, who shares a name, if not total identity, with the winner of the '74 ToC in the Fleming era.

The game (or what there is of it) is now in, here. Notes of interest: the last clue of POTPOURRI was just a continuation of the adjacent category about where presidents went to college, with the correct responses just being the first 6 presidents in order. Apparently Sharon had hit a neg earlier in the game with a response of "Who is Barbra Streisand?" (See AWARDS $200.) In TV $400, Sharon was credited with a response of "What is McHale's Navy?" in a clue just asking for McHale, further proving that how longstanding the rule has been that additional information does not make a response unacceptable so long as the additional information is not incorrect (see debate over the Friday 2015-07-25 Final). Before Final, Johnny Gilbert asked for postcards bearing the names, addresses, phone numbers, and ages of teenagers interested in appearing in the 2nd Teen Tournament. The credits chat took place behind the lecterns, with no thought to proper blocking--audience members only got a view of the back of Den's rather large frame blocking view of the other players. On the whole, the material was much easier than a modern game.
Robert K S wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:27 pm I'm wondering if the original recorder of this game rushed to start the tape going once he or she realized (likely after the interview portion) that "Den" was the Fleming-era ToC winner.
Sadly, Dennis Golden (the Fleming-era TOC champ) died six months ago:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/njhera ... =184576948
http://www.fergusonfuneralhomesnj.com/b ... lences.php

The obit and some of the public-webpage condolences mention that he was nicknamed "The Jeopardy Guy". There's no specific mention that he appeared in the Trebek era, in that show aired September 11, 1987, but it seems reasonably likely it was the same person.

Edited to add: photograph of him at Facebook.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Shane Whitlock debuted in QF3 against Mark Schmidt & Vandana Madhavan: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5760

This gets S12 up to 99 games and I'll get it to triple digits tomorrow.

If only all the games were this easy to Archive with 58R & 1W.

Pics:
Spoiler

Shane's mug is already in the Archive multiple times.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bryan Fagan played Mark Schmidt & Bronwyn Bedient: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5761

This gives S12 100 games on the nose.

Player pics:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rand Owen played Gary Westfalh & Ellen Ripstein: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5762

Challenger pics:
Spoiler

Challenger links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Westfahl

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1684250/

Yesterday this was the FJ! clue I archived:
Spoiler
In 1947 Bernard Baruch told the Senate, "We are in the midst of" one of these "which is getting warmer"
Today in a game from 4 seasons earlier was this clue:
Spoiler
To describe the deep freeze in U.S.-Soviet relations in 1947, Bernard Baruch coined this phrase
Another coincidence of timing was this clue from today's 1991 game:
Spoiler
Mexican rebel Emiliano Zapata supposedly said, "It is better to die on your feet than live on" these
vs. this clue from the 1996 game I input on Monday:
Spoiler
In a 1936 speech, Dolores Ibarruri said, "Better to die on your feet than to live on" these body parts
One thing to note from today's 1991 game:
Spoiler
Rand bet the farm from a leading position.
That's going to be it for this week, but I'll get more games in the Archive next week.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm One thing to note from today's 1991 game:
Spoiler
Rand bet the farm from a leading position.
I tend to be a little more lenient on early (i.e. pre season 10 or so) players in regards to betting, as they didn't have many of the resources we do. (Yeah, I know, math is math, but still.) As demonstrated by the fact that the very first triple zero game - rarer in that no one was tied going into Final - was in episode 2
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm Rand Owen played Gary Westfalh & Ellen Ripstein: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5762

Challenger pics:
Spoiler

Ellen Ripstein is on JBoard. In 2012 she posted a link to her write-up of her 1991 appearance:
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=20597#p20597
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Arthur Mitchell, Tom Moses & Adelaide Jaffe were three new players after Lynne Wexler was retired: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5763

Player pics:
Spoiler

The Archive is far from complete for such instances, but I'm curious how the victories break down by podium for three new players? Does the person who draws the champ's spot have some kind of psychological advantage? My instincts tell me this will not be a 33% across the board stat. Paging cheezguyty.

Mathew: Thanks for the Ellen Ripstein link above.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 pm Arthur Mitchell, Tom Moses & Adelaide Jaffe were three new players after Lynne Wexler was retired: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5763

Player pics:
Spoiler

The Archive is far from complete for such instances, but I'm curious how the victories break down by podium for three new players? Does the person who draws the champ's spot have some kind of psychological advantage? My instincts tell me this will not be a 33% across the board stat. Paging cheezguyty.

Mathew: Thanks for the Ellen Ripstein link above.
That FJ is a little brutal in terms of having enough time to write it down, even if you know the answer.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

KellyLasiter wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:32 pm That FJ is a little brutal in terms of having enough time to write it down, even if you know the answer.
It's even harder if you go with
Spoiler
Bosnia and Herzegovina
...although that wouldn't have been a country at the time. I came up with
Spoiler
Czech Republic
for the other, which at least is easier to spell. Of course, it wasn't around at the time either.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TomFromMD wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:32 pm That FJ is a little brutal in terms of having enough time to write it down, even if you know the answer.
It's even harder if you go with
Spoiler
Bosnia and Herzegovina
...although that wouldn't have been a country at the time. I came up with
Spoiler
Czech Republic
for the other, which at least is easier to spell. Of course, it wasn't around at the time either.
Today, you can also use
Spoiler
Czechia
for the latter (obvious disclaimer about it not being around at the time of the clue either still applies)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 pm The Archive is far from complete for such instances, but I'm curious how the victories break down by podium for three new players? Does the person who draws the champ's spot have some kind of psychological advantage? My instincts tell me this will not be a 33% across the board stat. Paging cheezguyty.
I found 92 regular-play games in the Archive with three new players (three of those games ended in a tie). The winner(s) came from the left podium 34 times, the middle podium 29 times, and the right podium 27 times.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 pm The Archive is far from complete for such instances, but I'm curious how the victories break down by podium for three new players? Does the person who draws the champ's spot have some kind of psychological advantage? My instincts tell me this will not be a 33% across the board stat. Paging cheezguyty.
I found 92 regular-play games in the Archive with three new players (three of those games ended in a tie). The winner(s) came from the left podium 34 times, the middle podium 29 times, and the right podium 27 times.
Thanks for the research on fresh start players and with the games in so far it's a little more evenly distributed than I thought it might be. I like that it goes 1-2-3.

Here's another in the tally for the center podium with Eric Aranda, Doug Marsh & Regina Jahr playing after Steve Robin retired: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5764

Player Pics:
Spoiler

This is how category 6 in the J! round was displayed for something unusual:

I took a shot at how to note that in the Archive.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 pm
Thanks for the research on fresh start players and with the games in so far it's a little more evenly distributed than I thought it might be. I like that it goes 1-2-3.

Here's another in the tally for the center podium with Eric Aranda, Doug Marsh & Regina Jahr playing after Steve Robin retired: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5764

Player Pics:
Spoiler

Watch out for Demogorgons.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Player Pics:
Spoiler

How about
NMOɊ-ƎɊISԀ∩
or
uʍop-ǝpısdn
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Don't leave us in suspense. Where were the tied players standing?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

plasticene wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:09 pm
How about
NMOɊ-ƎɊISԀ∩
or
uʍop-ǝpısdn
Thanks, I like the all caps version and made the change along with adjusting the explanation.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5764
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 pm
Don't leave us in suspense. Where were the tied players standing?
All three times (March 12, 1987, September 5, 1997, and July 19, 2001), the winners happened to be from the left and right podiums.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Player Pics:
Spoiler

How about
NMOɊ-ƎɊISԀ∩
or
uʍop-ǝpısdn
It turns me inside out.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:19 pm
How about
NMOɊ-ƎɊISԀ∩
or
uʍop-ǝpısdn
Thanks, I like the all caps version and made the change along with adjusting the explanation.
I would also like that if there were "special text" category headings (is this the very first?) that there's a link to a screenshot as well. (This is the standard for when it's don nowadays such as if the category heading is a video intro by the Clur Crew or a logo or something like that)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:19 pm
How about
NMOɊ-ƎɊISԀ∩
or
uʍop-ǝpısdn
I would also like that if there were "special text" category headings (is this the very first?) that there's a link to a screenshot as well. (This is the standard for when it's don nowadays such as if the category heading is a video intro by the Clur Crew or a logo or something like that)
'I could have done a .jpg tag and linked to Flickr where the image is, but that move has not been received well in the past. RKS can take the image from this post and store it in the proper place and set up the link if he wants for another solution.

I'm moving on to today's game.

David Combs played Jared Namenson & Bob Canter: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5765

Player Pics:
Spoiler

The J! round had a theme set of categories that I knew would not continue in the DJ! round.