New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Jerry's challenger, Emmett had some previous J! experience as a YouTube comment pointed out:

That was a hoot to watch! I'm wondering how different current practice rounds are? I know that Glen plays Alex now, but what else is different (and who is Mark Richards?) Does Johnny still do those adorable contestant intros? Are the interview segments really that short? (I would think that practicing it is just as important as practicing the game - I found that the interview segments at my audition were done quite well and would be good practice for a real one.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
That was a hoot to watch! I'm wondering how different current practice rounds are? I know that Glen plays Alex now, but what else is different (and who is Mark Richards?) Does Johnny still do those adorable contestant intros? Are the interview segments really that short? (I would think that practicing it is just as important as practicing the game - I found that the interview segments at my audition were done quite well and would be good practice for a real one.)
There is another Mark Richards J! rehearsal video easily found also. Who is Mark Richards? He hosted Starcade :)

Sg: Thanks I made Frankel 5 into #79.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote: There is another Mark Richards J! rehearsal video easily found also. Who is Mark Richards? He hosted Starcade :)
Mark hosted the first part of Starcade's run, Geoff Edwards hosted the second half of the run. Mark Richards founded and ran a school for wannabe game show contestants circa mid 80s. He was also a contestant coordinator for the first season of Trebek J!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: There is another Mark Richards J! rehearsal video easily found also. Who is Mark Richards? He hosted Starcade :)
Mark hosted the first part of Starcade's run, Geoff Edwards hosted the second half of the run. Mark Richards founded and ran a school for wannabe game show contestants circa mid 80s. He was also a contestant coordinator for the first season of Trebek J!
This (the bolded part) answers my question and explains why he did it (being the 1984 version of Glen). Also explains why Trebek auditioned for the Starcade job.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

dhkendall wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
This (the bolded part) answers my question and explains why he did it (being the 1984 version of Glen). Also explains why Trebek auditioned for the Starcade job.
Trebek and US Hockey Olympian(winter 1980) Mike Eruzione both hosted pilots for Starcade circa 1981. Probably didn't have much to do with Trebek auditioning for Starcade.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just a request, but does someone at least have the names, ages and hometowns of the missing Kids Week games from S20? Getting the skeletons in at least would get that season up to the magic number of 230.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Just a request, but does someone at least have the names, ages and hometowns of the missing Kids Week games from S20? Getting the skeletons in at least would get that season up to the magic number of 230.
MinnesotaMyron wrote:OK. So, I spent the last couple of hours going through my pile of old CD roms, and I managed to find my archive of Ronnie O'Rourke's AOL Jeoparchive. It goes up to Ken Jennings's games, but does not include them, which is fine, since the J-Archive has those games. It should include all the games that Archive.org doesn't have.

So, let's see if I figured out how to use Dropbox correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26saz2v17343hmg/tdciago.zip

Unzip it to your local hard drive, then click tdciago -> jeoparchive -> index.html and Viola!, you've got your own local archive, minus the picture links to non-AOL websites. (e.g. Corbis.)

Let me know if this works. This is my first time trying to Dropbox anything.

-M
That should give you the names and cities?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I put in what I had of Jerry Frankel #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5012

The clue at Transportation $1000 had Freuhauf as the company. A quick search seemed to indicate Fruehauf as the spelling. Erratum or something else going on?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

MarkBarrett wrote:I put in what I had of Jerry Frankel #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5012

The clue at Transportation $1000 had Freuhauf as the company. A quick search seemed to indicate Fruehauf as the spelling. Erratum or something else going on?
Are the DJ! and final scores correct?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I put in what I had of Jerry Frankel #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5012

Are the DJ! and final scores correct?
The totals at the end of the DJ! round the FJ! round are correct. My tape had that portion of the match. It started on the 3rd clue of the DJ! round. I gave Mike the first two clues of the DJ! round to get his score up to the $600 he had when the game picked up on my tape.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess Alex wasn't kind enough to mention when Christmas was that week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Just a request, but does someone at least have the names, ages and hometowns of the missing Kids Week games from S20? Getting the skeletons in at least would get that season up to the magic number of 230.
MinnesotaMyron wrote:OK. So, I spent the last couple of hours going through my pile of old CD roms, and I managed to find my archive of Ronnie O'Rourke's AOL Jeoparchive. It goes up to Ken Jennings's games, but does not include them, which is fine, since the J-Archive has those games. It should include all the games that Archive.org doesn't have.

Unzip it to your local hard drive, then click tdciago -> jeoparchive -> index.html and Viola!, you've got your own local archive, minus the picture links to non-AOL websites. (e.g. Corbis.)

-M
It has the names and hometowns, but not their ages or grade level. I figured out how to work the dropbox file without a lot of difficulty.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

-M
It has the names and hometowns, but not their ages or grade level. I figured out how to work the dropbox file without a lot of difficulty.
The 9/22/03 game did not air in my market. The introductions did not include age & grade, so it has to come from other places. I checked my tape and heard:

9/23: Miri = 10 yrs. old
9/24: Suzie = 7th gr. & 12 yrs. old, Raymond = 12 yrs. old
9/25: Ashley = 6th gr. & 11 yrs. old, Deirdre = 10 yrs. old, Ranz = 6th gr.

Well, that's 1/3 of what you wanted. Sorry the games did not offer more information. I watched the intros, Alex's opening, story time and the FJ! round.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Would it be better to put the names in with just the information from tdciago's site or add the limited information Mark was able to get from his videos?
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Would it be better to put the names in with just the information from tdciago's site or add the limited information Mark was able to get from his video's?
RKS is the best to answer, although you have enough information to make skeletons at the least or if you so choose fill in the games completely.

I added one more partial game in the hope that two halves make a whole: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5013 I'll do complete games only for the rest of the week.

What can I do? It's all I had. From Ron getting CLASSICAL MUSICAL $400 to the end that is what happened with correct numbers through the DJ! round and FJ! round.

I hope that Sheraton in Hartford is a nice place. I guess the trips were not always to exotic places? No offense to the state of CT.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

State Names for 200, should that be "home state" instead of "name state"?

Thanks for these old games. They're so different, aren't they?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:

State Names for 200, should that be "home state" instead of "name state"?

Thanks for these old games. They're so different, aren't they?
Yes, "Home." I had 50% of it right. :) It's fixed. Thanks.

I'll do the Liz Caccese game tomorrow for one more taste of those crazy S1 games. Her challengers will be guess work. How it sounds to me:

Bob Mett (definitely sounds like one syllable) - a family doctor orig. from Cranford, New Jersey
Pam Linden-Durnam (sounded like a hyphenate) - operating room nurse from Los Angeles, California

I welcome any detective work on the challengers. For the date of the game I know there is an ad for the 1/7/85 issue of PEOPLE to very likely put the game in the 12/31/84 - 1/4/85 week.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Are Michael and Fran the same as the Michael and Fran in the J! rehearsal video (in close-ups at 6:45 and 13:45 respectively)? Not that we can solve any mysteries with that, but we can see what the challengers look like without you having to film your TV screen.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
Are Michael and Fran the same as the Michael and Fran in the J! rehearsal video (in close-ups at 6:45 and 13:45 respectively)? Not that we can solve any mysteries with that, but we can see what the challengers look like without you having to film your TV screen.
Yes, same Michael and Fran. For the game I'm doing later this morning you can see Pam at 3:30. I looked at both videos and did not spot Bob.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Liz Caccese #4 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5018

I gave it Thursday 1/3/85 since the 12/27/84 was likely a Thursday and I often seemed to tape on same days of the week back then.

It would not surprise me if it was a Friday because there was enough craziness to make it seem like the last game of the day. It's amazing the show is still on. Either Chuck Forrest and/or the change in buzzer rule was huge.

There was a promo for the Hula Bowl on Saturday the 5th in addition to the ad for the 1/7/85 issue of PEOPLE, so I'm sure I have the right week. Either way the game can only be one day off at most.

Yes, that is the complete DJ! round.

TIMELY LITERATURE $400 had me wishing for the Ben Stein/Jimmy Kimmel take on it. Or Ronnie and her parrot for you long-time boardies.