New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by JayK33 »

Okay, thanks Mark.

As for a request, well, I've always been curious to know how Sozi Sozinho, who is listed as being originally from Zaire, did.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

JayK33 wrote:Okay, thanks Mark.

As for a request, well, I've always been curious to know how Sozi Sozinho, who is listed as being originally from Zaire, did.
January 25, 2002.

Actual game spoiler
Spoiler
He led going into FJ but missed it.

Let me check my notes to make sure it was the same guy I'm thinking of.

Yup, pretty sure it's him.

WORLD LEADERS Born into a royal family of the Thembu people, & expected to be a chief, he became a president in 1994

Ironic miss, I must say. I don't remember his guess.
Correct response
Spoiler
Who is Nelson Mandela?
Bonus Jeopardy round categories: PENNSYLVANIA - KEY STONES - ALLEN TOWN - EERIE - ALL TUNA - READING

The Daily Double at ALL TUNA for $1000 is a Thing Worth Knowing. But I've already said too much.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Thanks for the info.
Spoiler
Do you know if he finished 2nd or 3rd after FJ?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

JayK33 wrote:Thanks for the info.
Spoiler
I don't remember. My notes only contain the game material and how I did (I got it right).

ETA: Given the categories in the J! round, it's interesting where he ended up living and working.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/penns ... share.html
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
JayK33 wrote:Thanks for the info.
Spoiler
I don't remember. My notes only contain the game material and how I did (I got it right).

ETA: Given the categories in the J! round, it's interesting where he ended up living and working.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/penns ... share.html
I have not checked the relevant tape yet to confirm I have the game, but since it's late January I expect I have it. Checking my scoresheet is easier.

Chris: 15400-6300=9100
Sozi: 10800-10700=100
Cynthia: 7200+7100=14300 (new champ)
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Is someone going to archive Pannoni's games on dailymotion any time soon? I have them all saved to a hard drive and can put them on a DVD if anyone needs them that way.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
JayK33 wrote:Thanks for the new Season 18 game, Mark.

I'm just wondering if the earlier Season 18 games will also be filled in some time, since the last few that were added were late in the season.
I do not have all of the unfilled S18 games, with more gaps in the football months/early in the season, but today's input does not mean it's only June and later from now on. For me it was logical to move forward from the previous May request to find the next gap.

You can name an earlier game in the season you would like filled in and I'll try to do it by Presidents Day at the latest.
If you please, I would like to request the January 29, 2002, episode, as it had an unusual judgment call in FJ, if I am remembering correctly.

I would also like to request the January 18, 2002 episode for having, according to my notes, one of the greatest category sets of all time (#kanyewest) in DJ:
Spoiler
BOBBY - PETER - GREIG - SIN "D" - JAN. - MARTIAN, MARTIAN, MARTIAN (With THE BRADY BUNCH as a J! round category to boot!)

The $800 clue in GRIEG was a video clue asking for the name of the actress who made her film debut in 1970 as Grieg's wife in "Song of Norway". Like I said, the writers were on fire (without being weird about it).
I'm flipping through my notebook for 2002, and the writers were on fire with goofy category names. That one, and this game, are just a couple of my faves.

Anyway, whenever you can get to them.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I'm still waiting for this one:

THIS IS THE SHOW WHERE....
PEOPLE (meaning the magazine)
DETERMINE THE VALUE OF
THE QUESTIONS
IT'S TIME TO "PLAY"
THE PERCENTAGES

Comments, anyone?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Comments, anyone?
Yeah, the J! writers are not as familiar as you are with the opening spiels of short-lived game shows of the early 1980s.

(Even if they were, I'm sure they wouldn't use something which would completely baffle over 99% of the home viewing audience.)
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:I'm still waiting for this one:

DETERMINE THE VALUE OF
THE QUESTIONS
IT'S TIME TO "PLAY"
THE PERCENTAGES

Comments, anyone?
What was the air date for this set of categories by any chance or at least the season #?
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

And Mark BTW, for the May 28, 2002 episode, the one with Sofia and the visual clue in A DAY TO REMEMBER for $2000, the video links should be corrected as these 2 links aren't working. Can you or anybody fix these 2 video links for us please, thanks, and Daniel(kingskip), did you get the chance to download Steve Lipman's J! appearance from September 4, 1986 and put into your J! collection? IIRC, that was the first Season 3 episode GSN reran in its weekend rotation, reran on the same day as the debut of As Seen On, speaking of As Seen On, during its 2nd season, ASO showed highlights of Chuck Forrest's QF episode from November 7, 1986. Now, Mark, or anybody have an idea of what Game #'s, not the air dates, that Janet Stevenson appeared in and did Alex mention the upcoming ToC during Janet Stevenson's reign? She was on between Dave Traini's run and Sherman Allen's 2 episodes.
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Ivoryface86 wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:I'm still waiting for this one:

DETERMINE THE VALUE OF
THE QUESTIONS
IT'S TIME TO "PLAY"
THE PERCENTAGES

Comments, anyone?
What was the air date for this set of categories by any chance or at least the season #?
It wasn't. It's just made up.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote:And Mark BTW, for the May 28, 2002 episode, the one with Sofia and the visual clue in A DAY TO REMEMBER for $2000, the video links should be corrected as these 2 links aren't working. Can you or anybody fix these 2 video links for us please, thanks, and Daniel(kingskip), did you get the chance to download Steve Lipman's J! appearance from September 4, 1986 and put into your J! collection? IIRC, that was the first Season 3 episode GSN reran in its weekend rotation, reran on the same day as the debut of As Seen On, speaking of As Seen On, during its 2nd season, ASO showed highlights of Chuck Forrest's QF episode from November 7, 1986. Now, Mark, or anybody have an idea of what Game #'s, not the air dates, that Janet Stevenson appeared in and did Alex mention the upcoming ToC during Janet Stevenson's reign? She was on between Dave Traini's run and Sherman Allen's 2 episodes.
I got the visual clue to work in the 5/28 game, but had no luck with the Sofia clue. I have no information about Janet Stevenson.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Is this the right one? If so, I can rename it in the system so that it's the right date. Let me know of any other misnamed/missing links in the Season 18 games.

http://www.j-archive.com/media/2002-05-29_J_12.jpg
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote:Is this the right one? If so, I can rename it in the system so that it's the right date. Let me know of any other misnamed/missing links in the Season 18 games.

http://www.j-archive.com/media/2002-05-29_J_12.jpg
Yes, that's the one, so off by a day is the problem.

I have met the request to fill in 1/25/02 and all of the links seem to be good: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1222

The Doctor clues have more that you can see with the video links. I only archived what was shown on screen since the CC file only had the interviews.

Cynthia was quite surprised to win and understandably so.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have filled in 1/18/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1184

This would have been done years ago if Myron had reminded me earlier that it contained a category THE BRADY BUNCH. I had to take out my fine-tooth comb for the $600 clue.

I was disappointed the game did not have Alice, Sam, Tiger or even Oliver, but it was still fun.

I checked all of the links, so they should be good.

If this was a current game there would have been online cries that just Santa was accepted for his Martian movie.

I double-checked the clues in the BOBBY category to make sure I only typed bobbies and did not have the double-o error.

To conclude the game, I think I hear sirens.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had to take out my fine-tooth comb for the $600 clue.
Hope you don't mind but I pulled out a finer-toothed comb. It's a proud day when I can correct our resident expert, but I had some help from the instant playback review.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote:
Hope you don't mind but I pulled out a finer-toothed comb. It's a proud day when I can correct our resident expert, but I had some help from the instant playback review.
Great, thanks. I used the video to see the quote was not right in the clue box and then the quote at IMDb for a cut and paste while missing that the written quote was not quite right in matching the line from the show itself.

I noted trip prizes unknown in the prize line and not a note for the whole game itself as I knew I needed to let the prize police know I tried.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
Great, thanks. I used the video to see the quote was not right in the clue box and then the quote at IMDb for a cut and paste while missing that the written quote was not quite right in matching the line from the show itself.

I noted trip prizes unknown in the prize line and not a note for the whole game itself as I knew I needed to let the prize police know I tried.
How did you know the prizes were trips (to an undetermined destination) to begin with?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012