New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:58 pm We had time for another game, and what a doozy it was. Following Bruce Simmons's ToC on the tape was his 3rd regular game, April 15, 1992, vs Jack Pitney and Catherine Menser.
Oh, I meant to mention. Jack Pitney was the student adviser of 2007 contestant Richard Johnson.

https://www.cmc.edu/news/alumnus-appear ... f-jeopardy
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I've noticed that after Jerry Frankel's fifth win, this is the next game, with a Phil Wilson as a returning 1-day champ: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5544

I'm assuming one of the airdates must be wrong?
jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jlgarfield »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:58 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:50 pm It's... early yet, so we may have something completely different to be thankful for, later this evening. We'll see.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5838

We had time for another game, and what a doozy it was. Following Bruce Simmons's ToC on the tape was his 3rd regular game, April 15, 1992, vs Jack Pitney and Catherine Menser. Bruce dominated the game, but Catherine hit the Daily Double on the final clue of the game, FINANCE for $1000 and bet enough to close the gap and threaten Bruce's runaway. I feel like, based on her responses, she probably knew the answer, but just wasn't quite sure how to pronounce it.

Unfortunately the tape cut out just as Bruce's FJ response was about to be revealed, so I don't have an official final score for the match. I've got feelers out to see if we can fill in that missing info.

2 clues you don't need to add to the flashcards. I don't imagine they're going to ask any more about L.A.'s second-largest newspaper that folded in 1989
Spoiler
the Herald-Examiner
, or the actress who replaced VIvian Leigh in the 1954 movie Elephant Walk
Spoiler
Liz Taylor
, but you do you.

On the other side of the coin, some less-common facts I'd definitely add include the bird that is good luck if it nests on your house
Spoiler
a stork
, the "little European grand duchy"
Spoiler
Luxembourg (also the only remaining European grand duchy)
, and the official newspaper of the Soviet gov't after the Russian Revolution (not Pravda)
Spoiler
Izvestia (it's still published today)

Now, usually on these early '90s games, the clues are very basic, and I have to struggle to find a Clue of the Game. Not so this time, with enough possible candidates we can do it Academy Awards style. The nominees are:

PRESIDENTIAL ASTROLOGY for $500:
With the exception of Reagan, every U.S. pres. born under this sign, including Lincoln, died in office
Spoiler
What is Aquarius?
ANIMAL FACTS for $300 (triple stumper):
These rodents' tails are long enough to shade them, so their name comes from the Greek for "shadow tail"
Spoiler
What are squirrels?
ANTONY & CLEOPATRA for $400 (DJ!):
According to Enobarbus, its poop was beaten gold
Spoiler
Cleopatra's barge
And the winner is:
Spoiler
Gotta give it to the squirrel fact. I like squirrels.
The next game to archive is queued up, but I don't know when I'll get to it. Might be today, might be tomorrow. Have a good weekend either way.

- One of the clues in this game is featured in this video right here.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jlgarfield wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:15 pm - One of the clues in this game is featured in this video right here.
Thanks for posting that! Those bookshelf shots, oh yeah. Wish the video was just a tiny bit clearer.

And when did inline video posting start working again? Double plus good fun.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 pm And when did inline video posting start working again? Double plus good fun.
Andy made a post about it a couple weeks ago.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5839

Next on the tape was this game, November 24, 1992, the day after Tom Nosek's 5th game, so we had 3 new players. Jimmy Black vs. Mark Kristal vs. Susan Hodges.

In NATURE for $200, the judges accepted "a vampire" for "vampire bat", with "bat" already in the clue. Shades of "Salt Lake" for "Salt Lake City".

We'll start with clue of the game, HOBBIES for $500.
Collectors of these restaurant souvenirs are known as phillumenists
Spoiler
What are matchbooks? I started with "menus", like Mark, but caught that "lumen" must refer to a light of some kind.
I should put together a list of names for collectors. Those show up with some frequency.

INVENTORS HALL OF FAME for $1000 was an interesting clue.
In 1987 this American inventor was elected for his calculating or adding machine
This is the only instance in the Archive where the players are asked simply to name the inventor given the "adding machine" as his invention. More frequently we get his name and have to come up with "adding". Even more frequently he's paired with his namesake author grandson, writer of "Naked Lunch". (You'll want to know his one-word-title debut novel "Junkie", too.) Oh, yeah, that name is:
Spoiler
William Burroughs.
Finally, a fun assignment if you are looking to learn new and exciting ways to study from the Archive. Take a look at EUROPEANS CITIES for $1000. Do a search of the Archive for the name Padua. Draw a mind-map using the keywords gleaned from this search, with Padua in the middle. I'll post my personal diagram (or I'll forget, one of the two) after a while.

Have a good night.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:35 pm Take a look at EUROPEANS CITIES for $1000.
Was that the category name, with two plurals? I submitted three correction suggestions (or is that "corrections suggestions"?) for typos in that game, but I'll hold off submitting a fourth for that one since you replicated it here.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:53 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:35 pm Take a look at EUROPEANS CITIES for $1000.
Was that the category name, with two plurals? I submitted three correction suggestions (or is that "corrections suggestions"?) for typos in that game, but I'll hold off submitting a fourth for that one since you replicated it here.
No, I'm sure that's a typo. I just cut and paste for these recaps. Fixed. Thank you.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

January 11, 2002 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1169

The links should all be working.  I'll try to get one more game in before the ball drops in Times Square.

In 2002 my guess for the FJ clue was:
Spoiler
Morse
In 2017 my guess was:
Spoiler
Elisha Otis
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

January 14, 2002 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1180 with the debut of Nanette Wargo.

All of the links should work.

DD2 in WHERE YA FROM?: A U.S. state: Doubting Thomas

Of all the clues to make a DD, this one? Is there something I should know to make this better than 1 out of 50? The player was supposed to:
Spoiler
in the short time to process a DD clue make a connection to that place and MO being the Show Me State? Is that the path? Geez Louise!
Hammer: No hand-holding hint for you in the top box on this one that opened PETER MARK ROGET: In 1845 Roget designed a portable pocket version of this board game

It went TS for the players and I only got it by pausing the game and taking extra thinking time.

I matched Michael for the FJ! round and I even had the added advantage of having seen the game first run. Tough then, tough now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Roget at $1200, but only because of the huge hint I got in the top row clue.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

That was the last one from a past season in the 21st century that needed to be entered, right? Congratulations on that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:20 am That was the last one from a past season in the 21st century that needed to be entered, right? Congratulations on that.
There are still two unentered games from season 19 (Sara Glidden's victories) that aired almost nowhere because of Iraq coverage in 2003. Besides that, there are also a few game skeletons (listing only the players' intros and no clues), including most of Mark Lee's run.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:44 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:20 am That was the last one from a past season in the 21st century that needed to be entered, right? Congratulations on that.
There are still two unentered games from season 19 (Sara Glidden's victories) that aired almost nowhere because of Iraq coverage in 2003. Besides that, there are also a few game skeletons (listing only the players' intros and no clues), including most of Mark Lee's run.
The remaining skeletons for S18 are:
December 2001 (2) 17th & 31st
January 2002 (12)
1st, 2, 3, 7, 15, 16, 17, 21, 23, 24, 28, 30
February (8)
1st, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 27, 28
March (12)
1st, 4, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 25, 28, 29
April (7)
1st, 2, 3, 4, 22, 24, 26
May & June are complete with no 230th game for the season because of a special that aired after the M$M.
July (3)
11th, 15, 17

By my count that's 44 games. Including March 20 & 21, 2003 that is 46 from the 21st century not complete in the Archive.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:41 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:58 pm We had time for another game, and what a doozy it was. Following Bruce Simmons's ToC on the tape was his 3rd regular game, April 15, 1992, vs Jack Pitney and Catherine Menser.
Oh, I meant to mention. Jack Pitney was the student adviser of 2007 contestant Richard Johnson.

https://www.cmc.edu/news/alumnus-appear ... f-jeopardy
Just saw this - Jack Pitney was also my favorite professor in college! I just heard from him that there's another CMCer coming up in April.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Here is an update of a post I made a while back. It lists all the missing games from Seasons 13-19.

Season 13
Missing (20)
September (8)
16,18 (Lucien Schmit 2 and 4)

October (8)

January (1)

March (2)

April (1)

Incomplete (1)
September 3 (First six clues of DJ missing, Bernie Cullen game 2)

Season 14
Missing (1)
January 1, 1998 (Bill Unterborn over Brent Winter)

Season 15
Missing (2)
October 7, 1998 (Jonathan Silbert over Linda Zusman)
January 1, 1999 (Brian Gillespie wins second game)

Season 19
Missing (2)
March 20, 2003 (Sarah Glidden over David Frazee)
March 21, 2003 (Sarah Glidden wins second game)

Seasons 14,15 and 19 have a total of five missing games. Two of them were on New Years Day, two were pre-empted by war coverage. The other was on October 7, 1998.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 pm March 2002 (12)
3/18,3/17,3/20,3/21,3/22
I believe that should be March 19.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lore wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:23 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 pm March 2002 (12)
3/18,3/17,3/20,3/21,3/22
I believe that should be March 19.
Fixed. Thanks.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Like Louie Anderson on his Tonight Show debut, I'm throwing off your statistics.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1663

Thursday, July 11, 2002, Lynn Honda vs. Richard Mason vs. Emilie Bruchon.

Notes:

Emilie's miss on the DD at STARS & CONSTELLATIONS for $800 showed up as the correct response for the very next clue. Unfortunately there was a commercial break between them.

PEOPLE in the J! round featured 2 game show related clues, with the now out-of-date I NEED HELP! for $1600 in DJ! completing the triplet.

IN DJ!, have a look at BRITISH POETS & POETRY if you'd like to test yourself on a hard academic category. The work at $2000, Age of Anxiety", is basically new to the Archive, since in its only other appearance
Spoiler
the author's first and middle names are also given (Wystan Hugh), which is a pretty big hint.
Also new to the archive: Laurent Fabius, who in 1984 became one of the youngest ever prime ministers of
Spoiler
France
, and the first clue to simply ask for the name of the city in which you'd find the main campus of Rutgers.
Spoiler
What is New Brunswick, New Jersey?
Not new to the archive, the $2000 clue in DURING THE REAGAN YEARS. In checking the Archive I realized that I had entered another clue about this fellow, 2 years ago. Didn't know it then, couldn't remember it today.

Clue of the game will be BUCK UP for $1600:
John Sedges was a male pseudonym used by this "Dragon Seed" author
Spoiler
Who is Pearl S. Buck?
I missed it, but boy are there a lot of clues there, I realized after the fact.

FJ! has an instance of a contestant responding with (almost) her name. Unfortunately, it was an incorrect response. See if you can get all three:
THE OSCARS

1 of only 3 movies to be nominated for both Best Picture & Best Foreign Language Film in the same year
I'll let you click through the game link above to get the 3 titles. Gotta get my website hits!

Unless I'm wrong (likely), it looks like this catches us up with Animfan1's postings, so I'll have to go back to the tapes.

Have a good day.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:35 pm See if you can get all three:
THE OSCARS

1 of only 3 movies to be nominated for both Best Picture & Best Foreign Language Film in the same year
My response would have been the last one. If pressed to guess others, I might have guessed the other response not given.