New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium »

animfan wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:37 pm I added 5/9/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6091

to give the 1988 Seniors Tournament its first representation in the Archive

Player pics of Jim Gaylord, Louise Reyburn Dice & Tom Wickham:
Spoiler

Obits for Louise & Tom:
Spoiler
Error in namesakes for $400, there’s an R missing between the ’U’ and ’N’ in furniture.
If you click the number in the upper right corner of the clue box, you'll go to the correction suggestion page for that clue and you can offer the change directly to the site without having to find a post from five months ago to quote.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 pm
animfan wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:37 pm I added 5/9/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6091

to give the 1988 Seniors Tournament its first representation in the Archive

Player pics of Jim Gaylord, Louise Reyburn Dice & Tom Wickham:
Spoiler

Obits for Louise & Tom:
Spoiler
Error in namesakes for $400, there’s an R missing between the ’U’ and ’N’ in furniture.
If you click the number in the upper right corner of the clue box, you'll go to the correction suggestion page for that clue and you can offer the change directly to the site without having to find a post from five months ago to quote.
Correction suggestion was there on the list. Seen and fixed along with the other one. Done. Thanks.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni3 has posted the June 10, 1996 episode on Dailymotion:

Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni3 has posted the July 14, 1993 (1993 Seniors Tournament Quarterfinal #3) episode on Dailymotion:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I remember Helen's interview story about the goat.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Well, I just discovered on a VHS tape a game featuring Georgia Popplewell vs. Richard Rasmussen vs. champ Lena Nowak. The first thing on the tape, according to the label, is SNL with Jimmy Smits, followed by Letterman with Debra WInger and Soul Asylum. That's variously 1990 and 1993. Anyone got a solid date on this game? It's from the "Interviews at the end of the J! round" era, if that narrows it down.

Now to fast forward to see if the whole game is on there. This might just be the end of Oprah.

ETA: The game is complete on tape. Thank you ABC World News Tonight for starting with the current date. It's December 20, 1994. I wonder why I taped it?

ETAA: Thanks to this post, I see Richard Rasmussen is already in the archive. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=637&p=258727&hilit= ... ll#p258727
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I could have told you Richard Rasmussen was in the Archive. Back when TPTB put out the call for old ToC contestants in advance of the Battle of the Decades, they showed a TV spot that had a bunch of the in-studio pictures of the ToC fields over the years. The 2000 and 1995 pictures included the alternates; we knew 2000 was Jason Karpf, but not 1995. MarkBarrett recognized him but couldn't recall his name, and rmfromfla came in and cleared matters up with the highest earning 3xers from '94-'95. So when Mark archived a game or two of his some time later, I took notice.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:52 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:54 pm I think it's down to about 30 games from S18 left to fill in. Tiny steps.
My current game is the last incomplete game of that season, so we'll meet in the middle eventually. Oh those awesome Clue Crew clues though.
The Clue Crew clues are always fun to guess the extension and when it's a .jpg to determine if there is a close-up that warrants an additional link.
And I've finished July 17, 2002, http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1667, Jacque Keller vs. Amy Ellis vs. Beth Milnes.

Thanks to Mark for the heads up on possible double-jpg clues. We had one in THE FBI for $1000 which I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Another clue from that field trip, featuring Cheryl, would show up in my first game.

Also, for my own future reference, here's that Clue Crew member whose name you can never remember:

Jacque was in the hole at the first commercial and at 0 going into Double Jeopardy. 10 clues into DJ she was tied for the lead. There's a lesson or two in that for everyone.

"Ecoterrorism" gets its first hit in the Archive, as a response yet. I missed it. I also missed both DJ DDs, and FJ to "boot". This would have probably been a nightmare game for me.

Clue of the game will be an $800 clue from the J! round. Can you get it without the category?
Common name of the Carassius Auratus; it's also a Pepperidge Farm cracker
Spoiler for category:
Spoiler
GONE FISHING

Spoiler for response:
Spoiler
What are goldfish?
Now to digitize that game from my old tape, and update my checklist. Have a super Sunday
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

There's a guy at an office of my company in another city who was a 1-day champion in 1993 (games 2105 and 2106). He believes he has the DVDs of the games. What's the best method to get these games into the archive?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:06 pm There's a guy at an office of my company in another city who was a 1-day champion in 1993 (games 2105 and 2106). He believes he has the DVDs of the games. What's the best method to get these games into the archive?
He could mail a DVD to me or Mark or another Archivist who might volunteer. Hit my DMs for an address.

If he prefers not to part with his only copy of the disc, point and shoot at a tv screen (with adequate volume and a steady camera) would work just fine. He could upload that somewhere. Heck, he could even do that with a vhs tape, and mail us that.

Ripping files from a DVD usually doesn't work, unless the person knows how to do it. More than once I've been sent just the index file from the DVD with no video. But if he knows Handbrake or something similar, that's great.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I will let the guy know his options. Thanks, Myron.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:06 pm There's a guy at an office of my company in another city who was a 1-day champion in 1993 (games 2105 and 2106). He believes he has the DVDs of the games. What's the best method to get these games into the archive?
2106 would be an especially nice addition, since we have that one up as a skeleton right now. Tell your guy thanks.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

According to Vulture.com, Jeopardy Collection 2 is coming to Netflix at the end of the month. Probably nothing relevant to this thread, but we can always hope.

https://www.vulture.com/article/new-on- ... inals.html
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 am According to Vulture.com, Jeopardy Collection 2 is coming to Netflix at the end of the month. Probably nothing relevant to this thread, but we can always hope.

In a world where people pay attention to us, Netflix and Sony would arrange to stream games that aren't yet in the archive.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 am According to Vulture.com, Jeopardy Collection 2 is coming to Netflix at the end of the month. Probably nothing relevant to this thread, but we can always hope.

In a world where people pay attention to us, Netflix and Sony would arrange to stream games that aren't yet in the archive.
Well, I remember watching old episodes on Crackle! I remember watching Mark Dawson become a 5 time champ. So, by February 28th, we'll see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm Well, I just discovered on a VHS tape a game featuring Georgia Popplewell vs. Richard Rasmussen vs. champ Lena Nowak. The first thing on the tape, according to the label, is SNL with Jimmy Smits, followed by Letterman with Debra WInger and Soul Asylum. That's variously 1990 and 1993. Anyone got a solid date on this game? It's from the "Interviews at the end of the J! round" era, if that narrows it down.

Now to fast forward to see if the whole game is on there. This might just be the end of Oprah.

ETA: The game is complete on tape. Thank you ABC World News Tonight for starting with the current date. It's December 20, 1994. I wonder why I taped it?

ETAA: Thanks to this post, I see Richard Rasmussen is already in the archive. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=637&p=258727&hilit= ... ll#p258727
And the game is now entered. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6207

Knowing what type of furniture Eero Aarnio designed a "ball" type of, or what Australian state's 2nd largest city is Launceston, are both hard clues. But when paired with "Eero Saarinen's womb type" or "island state" they certainly become easier.
Spoiler
What are chairs?
What is Tasmania?
Georgia mentioned in her interview that she once met Jimmy Carter, and he liked her name. Then in DJ, she gets this clue:
The Chattahoochee River forms part of the border between Alabama & this state
Always a treat when that happens.

This marks the first and only instance in the archive of Denmark's Queen Margrethe I. There are plenty of references to Margrethe II, however, so "Denmark" should be guessable.

Richard got a DD with the words "sculptor" and "hole" in it. That's a basic Jeopardy art Pavlov, and apparently I need to brush up on them, because I blanked on it.

N.B. that John Galsworthy's famous Saga is "Forsyte", and not ForsytHe. I believe someone's been dinged for that in the past. Even Alex kind of said "Forsythe" when reading the clue on this episode.

Clue of the game will be ANGELS for $300, since I'm always interested when clues go a little deeper into religions other than Judaism and Christianity:
Muslims believe that 2 angels accompany each person, recording these opposites in their books
Spoiler
What are their good and bad deeds?
I didn't realize when I entered the skeleton for this game that the game before it and the game after it were both already entered, and I ended up duplicating the entry for Lena Nowak. So I entered the skeleton for the Senior's Tourney game linked above. Somebody snuck in and finished the clues that game, and the June 10, 1996 game, so advance the id numbers in your browser address bar to see those. (And how fortuitous is it that I had this particular game on tape, huh?)

Have a good rest of your week. I go back to work tomorrow, so we'll see you back here in 8 days or so.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:53 pm Georgia mentioned in her interview that she once met Jimmy Carter, and he liked her name. Then in DJ, she gets this clue:
Does it still get hotter than a hoochie coochie? Exactly how hot does a hoochie coochie get anyway?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:53 pm Georgia mentioned in her interview that she once met Jimmy Carter, and he liked her name. Then in DJ, she gets this clue:
Does it still get hotter than a hoochie coochie? Exactly how hot does a hoochie coochie get anyway?
I always heard it as "hotter than the hoochie-coochie," like the literal heat down yonder exceeded the figurative heat of the dance. Also, I didn't know the phrase "lay rubber" had anything to do with driving, so I assumed that they just placed a piece of rubber on the Georgia asphalt to watch it melt due to the aforementioned heat.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:05 pm I always heard it as "hotter than the hoochie-coochie," like the literal heat down yonder exceeded the figurative heat of the dance. Also, I didn't know the phrase "lay rubber" had anything to do with driving, so I assumed that they just placed a piece of rubber on the Georgia asphalt to watch it melt due to the aforementioned heat.
The sheet music, at least the guitar tablature version, says "a hoochie-coochie".
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Not that this matters, but from my own recollections listening to '90s country radio, it was "a hoochie-coochie".
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan