New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6937
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Peggi Malys played for retirement against Tim Raetzloff & Tanya Palmer: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5699

The challengers:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Peggi already has two pictures in the Archive.
The players were introduced already in a standing position and Alex explained it was because one of the players had difficulty in mobility.

Alex sure slowed the mo' and jinxed the category run of BEATLES SONGS although the opportunity was still there.

That category ate time with the 1st segment done at 10 clues and the end of round warning at #19.

Tim is still around: https://edmondsbeacon.villagesoup.com/p ... ck/1662894

The closest I could find for Peggi is perhaps she is Dr. Margaret Malys Stone, but I don't know if that is her or not.

Tanya Palmer is too common a name to even try.

User avatar
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:46 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Mathew5000 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm
Peggi Malys played for retirement against Tim Raetzloff & Tanya Palmer: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5699
...
The closest I could find for Peggi is perhaps she is Dr. Margaret Malys Stone, but I don't know if that is her or not.
Yes, her name is listed that way in the sidebar of this Emory Magazine article from 2000.

(Edited to fix link; thanks Plasticene.)
Last edited by Mathew5000 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
plasticene
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by plasticene » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm
Tanya Palmer is too common a name to even try.
Challenge accepted!
Image

User avatar
plasticene
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by plasticene » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Mathew5000 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 pm
Yes, her name is listed that way in the sidebar of this Emory Magazine article from 2000.
I fixed your link.

Neat to see my friend Trip (not "Tripp") featured in the article.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6937
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Thank you guys for the extra research and finds for Peggi & Tanya. That was a nice laundry list of J! players with the Peggi article.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5204
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by alietr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:38 am

plasticene wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:28 pm
Mathew5000 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 pm
Yes, her name is listed that way in the sidebar of this Emory Magazine article from 2000.
I fixed your link.

Neat to see my friend Trip (not "Tripp") featured in the article.
Indeed. I didn't realize he'd been on Millionaire.

ETA: I totally would have gotten that $64,000 question he missed.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm
Alex sure slowed the mo' and jinxed the category run of BEATLES SONGS although the opportunity was still there.
I thought those were very obscure choices. "Help!" was the only one I got. NHO the $100 or $500 songs that I recall.

ETA: "Michelle" was never even a single! That one definitely should've been the bottom box.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm
That category ate time with the 1st segment done at 10 clues and the end of round warning at #19.
Still better than those RCMH celeb episodes in 2008.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5189
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:15 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am
ETA: "Michelle" was never even a single! That one definitely should've been the bottom box.
Maybe not bottom box, but today it would probably move down the column. In 1989 I think the song was much better known. I recall hearing it quite a bit as elevator music and in other "easy listening" music contexts. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard it more than once while I was on hold. I suspect the clue was correctly valued for back in the day.

JeuParti
Contributor
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:11 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by JeuParti » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:43 am

Hi there,

I have a question about an old clue from Season 3:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5123

SPORTS STADIUMS: Football stadium with the greatest seating capacity in America, it's the UCLA Bruins' home field

The correct response is the Rose Bowl, but I found lists of stadiums that had much higher capacity even back in the 80s, such as Michigan stadium. Can anyone help figure out this clue? Thanks!

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6937
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:15 pm

JeuParti wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:43 am
Hi there,

I have a question about an old clue from Season 3:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5123

SPORTS STADIUMS: Football stadium with the greatest seating capacity in America, it's the UCLA Bruins' home field

The correct response is the Rose Bowl, but I found lists of stadiums that had much higher capacity even back in the 80s, such as Michigan stadium. Can anyone help figure out this clue? Thanks!
What I found was 101,701 (1973–1991) for Michigan and

The Rose Bowl's maximum stated seating capacity was 104,091 from 1972 to 1997

for other stadiums in 1986 it may the same thing that renovations have added or taken away seats.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4626
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:54 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:15 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am
ETA: "Michelle" was never even a single! That one definitely should've been the bottom box.
Maybe not bottom box, but today it would probably move down the column. In 1989 I think the song was much better known. I recall hearing it quite a bit as elevator music and in other "easy listening" music contexts. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard it more than once while I was on hold. I suspect the clue was correctly valued for back in the day.
Also, not that Grammys are a reliable measure of how well-known a song is, but it won Song of the Year in 1967, beating out "Born Free," "The Impossible Dream," "Somewhere, My Love," and "Strangers in the Night."

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:39 pm

To be fair, the Beatles are one of the only acts that I expect anyone to be familiar with their album cuts.

It just stuck out to me as obscure relative to the others, especially in the top box.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5189
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:54 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:15 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am
ETA: "Michelle" was never even a single! That one definitely should've been the bottom box.
Maybe not bottom box, but today it would probably move down the column. In 1989 I think the song was much better known. I recall hearing it quite a bit as elevator music and in other "easy listening" music contexts. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard it more than once while I was on hold. I suspect the clue was correctly valued for back in the day.
Also, not that Grammys are a reliable measure of how well-known a song is, but it won Song of the Year in 1967, beating out "Born Free," "The Impossible Dream," "Somewhere, My Love," and "Strangers in the Night."
I'd say all of those have diminished somewhat with time, but contestants in 1989 would've known them after a few bars.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6937
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:52 pm

This is Paul Katz in his S4 game (brought back in S5) playing Alice Cohen & Bob Harrenga: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5702

Pics:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image
Paul definitely wore a different tie in this game than he did on his return visit, but it's the same guy.

As to why he was brought back I would think the problem was DD3 which was begging for trouble.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1123
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:09 pm

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5690

Another of the games from December 1986 with the airdate confusion, this is Chris Strong vs. Phyllis McDonald vs. Debbie Sherry.

This game features an early appearance (and perhaps the first appearance of) the HOW TO... category. Playing off Alex's explanation, Chris dutifully phrases both his answers with the proper "How do you.." format, rather than the "What is, how to..." abomination. Good for him.

I'm enjoying the discussion upthread about whether "Michelle" is an obscure Beatles song. Please, for your enjoyment, have a look at BOYS IN SONG for some actual obscurity. Inline YouTube links aren't working for the time being, so here are links, for all songs not just the obscure ones. (A little Ray Charles or Jimmy Dean never hurt nobody.) Also, if anyone is hip enough to work out who is actually singing in the version of the song used for the Daily Double in INSECTS for $300, I'd love to know. (DD at approximately 8:45, here.)
This ep could stand a trigger warning, with a clue about suicide in both rounds.

A couple months back I mentioned consecutively entered games asking for the full versions of the acronyms ASCAP and AFTRA. Well, this game completes the trifecta, asking for the full name of "the organization which hands out the Oscars", which would be AMPAS. Sherry misses the A, Phyllis picks up the rebound.

Clues of the game will be this pair of trick-y Qs in FOOTBALL for $800 and $1000:
$800: A nickel defense uses 5 backs, a dime defense this number

$1000: With reserves called up for the Berlin crisis, pros had to receive these to receive these in '61
SpoilerShow
$800: What is 6 (or sometimes 7)?
$1000: What are weekend passes?
Look at that garbage at $1000. Gaze upon its majesty.

FJ was tricky, and I went the same direction as the runners-up. Congrats to Phyllis for getting it. I'm always kind of surprised that the category
SpoilerShow
Mexican states and capitals
doesn't make it on to Jeopardy as much as Canadian Provinces do.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6937
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:37 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:09 pm
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5690
Also, if anyone is hip enough to work out who is actually singing in the version of the song used for the Daily Double in INSECTS for $300, I'd love to know. (DD at approximately 8:45, here.)
I used this for alternate versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elusive_Butterfly

and then tried to find those versions on YouTube. I could not find a match as many versions were not even close. The Four Tops was in the ballpark, though.

2/5 in those boy songs with the easy one to start off and the Dean one.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1561
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: NYC

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:07 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:09 pm
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5690
......

Clues of the game will be this pair of trick-y Qs in FOOTBALL for $800 and $1000:
$800: A nickel defense uses 5 backs, a dime defense this number

$1000: With reserves called up for the Berlin crisis, pros had to receive these to receive these in '61
SpoilerShow
$800: What is 6 (or sometimes 7)?
$1000: What are weekend passes?
Look at that garbage at $1000. Gaze upon its majesty.
"We got a little cutsie and crazy on that one." You don't say :roll:

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6937
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Season 6 with Jim Vichench, Mike Clark & Fern Potvin: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5704

Player pics:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
Alex noticed that each score going into the FJ! round had some kind of 700.

I found a couple of links about Jim (aka Red Balaclava):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_the_H ... o_program)

http://www.nyc2600.net/index.php?s=vich ... mit=search

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1123
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm

On an old videotape, I have found a copy of the March 14, 2002 game, sans player intros. Anyone know what Hanley Baxter's returning totals were for that day?

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6937
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm
On an old videotape, I have found a copy of the March 14, 2002 game, sans player intros. Anyone know what Hanley Baxter's returning totals were for that day?
I do.

This is great seeing all of these S18 games getting knocked off.

Oh yeah, the answer. $44,202.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], This Is Kirk! and 26 guests