New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

One quick question. Why is it Season 18 that has many episodes missing from the archive? I mean all the other seasons don't have many blank archive pages.
Douglas Squasoni
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

FJ! was an instaget as well.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:50 pm One quick question. Why is it Season 18 that has many episodes missing from the archive? I mean all the other seasons don't have many blank archive pages.
Try looking at it this way: How does the Archive have so many Season 18 games when the Archive did not even begin until several seasons later?
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Mark, the runner-up trips and the rest of this game are not in yet. Also, in the second Semi-Final episode of the International Tournament in Stockholm, in the player interviews, Michael Daunt stood solo and the Turkish host Serhat stood next to Murat Sen. Was Magnus standing next to Eva Holmberg? And do you have the CC transcript to that Semi-Finals episode? Also, can you or another archivist put in the pictures in the INTERNATIONAL SIGNS AND SYMBOLS category and the video clip of George Bush skydiving in the Video Daily Double from the prior episode?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The answer to the S18 question is that when GSN re-aired that season several times over, I entered the skeletons and got all the media captures but didn't put in the clues. Unfortunately GSN also stripped out all the original fee plugs which included the mention of the consolation prizes, so only Mark can enter those.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

There is multiple episodes in these videos.

Besides the way, which espodes are missing?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dell3234 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 pm There is multiple episodes in these videos.

Besides the way, which espodes are missing?
You can go to the archive yourself and see what is there and what isn’t.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For getting in a S18 game in this month I have filled in 1/24/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1221

The links work. The video for 3/1/02 is still [Shh!] on YT on page 179 and any archivist is welcome to finish it as I filled in the clues not included on the video.

Comments on the FJ! clue:
Spoiler
That clue still sucks. I missed it back then and missed it again. The logic for arrow is on one of those crossbow arrow acts I've seen on talent shows. A boomerang seems just as dangerous. I still see no reason a Frisbee is wrong as no problem for the aloft portion and you can William Tell yourself with the right kind of toss sending the disc out and returning with a different trajectory at your noggin.
I'm going to change gears and work on older games from my collection with the goal of getting 20 in by June 30. I'll also look into that ____ request about the International tourney game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have added Richard Perez-Pena #3 from 10/9/87: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5989

The challengers were Mary Dupuis & John Gose:
Spoiler
Comments about the game:
Spoiler
John had a lot of previous success on game shows (go to YouTube and use "John Goss" for the 1980s shows listed on his Archive page) and 26R in the J! game is a good tally. The 8W was ridiculous. Richard's stat line of 8R & 4W was awful as well and matches Ben Tritle for a 5x champ having a rough game. On Richard's Archive page I added a mention of his appearance on Sale of the Century when he and the other challenger got stomped by one of the best players in the show's history, Alice Conkwright. That can be found on YT as well by doing a search of "Sale Century Alice Richard."

That FJ! clue going 1/3 was the capper to a pretty bad game overall.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 pm I have added Richard Perez-Pena #3 from 10/9/87: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5989

The challengers were Mary Dupuis & John Gose:
Spoiler
Comments about the game:
Spoiler
John had a lot of previous success on game shows (go to YouTube and use "John Goss" for the 1980s shows listed on his Archive page) and 26R in the J! game is a good tally. The 8W was ridiculous. Richard's stat line of 8R & 4W was awful as well and matches Ben Tritle for a 5x champ having a rough game. On Richard's Archive page I added a mention of his appearance on Sale of the Century when he and the other challenger got stomped by one of the best players in the show's history, Alice Conkwright. That can be found on YT as well by doing a search of "Sale Century Alice Richard."

That FJ! clue going 1/3 was the capper to a pretty bad game overall.
John Goss or John Gose?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:45 pm
John Goss or John Gose?
J! displays the player name, so he's John Gose. Pyramid and Sale only have the name said with no visual aid for spelling. To my ears and many others over the years the name sounded like Goss. That made game show collectors on trading sites and video uploaders on YT use Goss. On YT do a search of "john goss pyramid" and that should have the top results listing the videos showing John on the various shows.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:58 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:45 pm
John Goss or John Gose?
J! displays the player name, so he's John Gose. Pyramid and Sale only have the name said with no visual aid for spelling. To my ears and many others over the years the name sounded like Goss. That made game show collectors on trading sites and video uploaders on YT use Goss. On YT do a search of "john goss pyramid" and that should have the top results listing the videos showing John on the various shows.
Aha. Work blocks most picture sharing sites, so I couldn't see that. Fun bit of history.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

John Goss was also on Now You See It where he broke the bank for $7000 in the self-contained 2-team elimination found format, his partner returned the next episode. Yeah, J! didn't begin displaying the players' names on-screen until the start of Season 3. Trevor(animfan) has some recollection that former Super Password champion Tim Singer's appearance aired on September 12, 1986, according to Trevor and he might have the full episode with a few missing answers from that episode that weren't previously entered in the archive. Yes, the first few seasons of J! did have air date discrepancies and so did the $100,000 Pyramid. That was because not all stations got to see the same week of episodes. Tic Tac Dough and Joker's Wild also had the air date discrepancies treatment as well throughout its history.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:44 am Mark, the runner-up trips and the rest of this game are not in yet. Also, in the second Semi-Final episode of the International Tournament in Stockholm, in the player interviews, Michael Daunt stood solo and the Turkish host Serhat stood next to Murat Sen. Was Magnus standing next to Eva Holmberg? And do you have the CC transcript to that Semi-Finals episode? Also, can you or another archivist put in the pictures in the INTERNATIONAL SIGNS AND SYMBOLS category and the video clip of George Bush skydiving in the Video Daily Double from the prior episode?
The trips from the 3/1 are in and will only show up when someone else completes the game. Yeah, I know it's not complete as I only agreed to fill in what was missing from the video.

Yes, Magnus stood next to Eva as he was on the side of her closer to Michael. No, I do not have the CC transcript for that game or thousands of other games. The one I shared was a special S18 case.

Sorry, I cannot put the signs & symbols clues in the Archive as they are not in the system. The best I can do is share them here:
Spoiler
No, I cannot put in the Bush video. I have put it on YT, so you can see it here.
Spoiler

Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

I would like to make a few requests to the Archivists for some YouTube intro uploads (if possible) myself:

YOUTUBE INTRO UPLOADS
The intro to the May 1988 Seniors Tournament
The intro to the Feb. 1989 Teen Tournament
The intro to the Nov. 1990 Tournament of Champions
The intro to the July 1992 Seniors Tournament
The intro to the July 1994 Seniors Tournament
Last edited by Jeff-thecdboy on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 am I would like to make a few requests to the Archivists for some YouTube intro uploads (if possible) myself:

YOUTUBE INTRO UPLOADS
The intro to the July 1988 Seniors Tournament
The intro to the Feb. 1989 Teen Tournament
The intro to the Nov. 1990 Tournament of Champions
The intro to the July 1992 Seniors Tournament
The intro to the July 1994 Seniors Tournament
By "intro", you mean from Day 1, or just any episode?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Just one intro from each of those five tournaments. I don't care if it's a quarterfinal, semifinal, or final game, any episode is fine with me.
Last edited by Jeff-thecdboy on Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I entered S7 1/15/91 Lois Kurowski #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5990

Player pics:
Spoiler
David was looking down when his name was displayed.
Nice FJ! clue that would work fine in 2018 other than
Spoiler
I would not bet on 2/3 getting it.
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:45 pm I entered S7 1/15/91 Lois Kurowski #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5990

Player pics:
Spoiler
David was looking down when his name was displayed.
Nice FJ! clue that would work fine in 2018 other than
Spoiler
I would not bet on 2/3 getting it.
There’s an error with the game # in the archive, it’s #1472.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

animfan wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:50 pm
There’s an error with the game # in the archive, it’s #1472.
That's an easy fix. Done. Thank you so much.