New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:15 pm I was reminded of a recent Reddit thread about the best J! player from each state. Alaska was left empty. I wonder if Jeff has a claim?
Does Brian Meacham with his "originally from" count?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:58 pm Courtesy of Jeff, I added 6/13/91: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7356

Players pics of Don Henry and Harry Kelly who played Jeff Moeller:
Spoiler
Sometimes the all-in from 2nd works, though not always.
Wild result. That's a "first equals third plus half of second" scenario, or as I like to call it, "Faith Love on crack [or speed, or whatever drug of choice]."

Here's what it comes down to:
If first wagers to offer a tie to second doubling up and gets it wrong, they'll fall to where third place will fall if they wager to catch up to second and get it wrong.
And, if first wagers to offer a tie to third doubling up and gets it wrong, they'll fall to where second stands.

I think I've got all the alignments there. The upshot is that each player has two strategic options if they recognize the scenario: third, to double up or catch up to second; second, to double up or stand pat; first, to offer a tie to second or third. And depending on how they choose and how FJ plays out, any two players (or all three) can tie. The two challengers almost had the right idea (not that a slight correction would have improved things for them).

Corrections:
J!1: Nattonal -> National
J!18: it's' -> it's
DJ17: "the Elder, -> "the Elder", (presuming the J! style of placing the comma outside the quotation marks)
DJ18: iberated -> liberated
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:04 pm ...

Corrections:
J!1: Nattonal -> National
J!18: it's' -> it's
DJ17: "the Elder, -> "the Elder", (presuming the J! style of placing the comma outside the quotation marks)
DJ18: iberated -> liberated
Done x 4 = thanks
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:58 pm Courtesy of Jeff, I added 6/13/91: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7356

Players pics of Don Henry and Harry Kelly who played Jeff Moeller:
Spoiler
Sometimes the all-in from 2nd works, though not always.
My 24th birthday!!!
JeffMoeller

Post by JeffMoeller »

Don said afterward that he was uncomfortable with the category on FJ and that factored into how he wagered. I'm still in touch with Don and Nadine from Day 3. We were all staying at the Roosevelt and most of the contestants from that week went to see Betty Buckley in the lounge afterwards.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of Jeff I added 6/14/91: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7359

Player pics of Nadine Fiedler and Jonathan Heller who played Jeff Moeller:
Spoiler
Jeff: Thank you for sharing your three games to get Season 7 a little closer to 100 games archived. Please post your memories about playing the game 3 FJ! clue.

For long-time JBoarders don't miss the DJ11 clue. ;)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:40 pm For long-time JBoarders don't miss the DJ11 clue. ;)
I'm glad I made the conscious decision to click the link and read through the clues without scrolling past the pictures!
JeffMoeller

Post by JeffMoeller »

Re Day 3 FJ. I was tired. It had been a long day. It was "Friday" but really it was the last show of the taping day. I had fought back at the end, struggling with the dratted buzzer timing, and pulled ahead, and then I just freakin' blanked. That's about it. But Nadine and I have been pen pals ever since. I waived most of the third day prizes except for the Rice a Roni on principal and the home game (and the clunky disk typewriter) and went off to drink martinis, sit with Nadine and her husband at the Roosevelt and listen to Betty Buckley do a cabaret set in the lounge (including Memories). Got to talk to her afterwards, nice lady. Didnt get out the door without coughing up $7K of the $25K to the tax folks. Had to keep quiet about it back home for a couple months. Then when it was the airing week I got interviewed by the Channel 19 Anchorage sports anchor about it. Who at the time was Sarah Palin. I was "Jeopardy Jeff" in the Anchorage legal community for years.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:40 pm Courtesy of Jeff I added 6/14/91: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7359

Player pics of Nadine Fiedler and Jonathan Heller who played Jeff Moeller:
Spoiler
Jeff: Thank you for sharing your three games to get Season 7 a little closer to 100 games archived. Please post your memories about playing the game 3 FJ! clue.

For long-time JBoarders don't miss the DJ11 clue. ;)
The good old days when there were only few TS clues.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JeffMoeller wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:46 pm Re Day 3 FJ. I was tired. It had been a long day. It was "Friday" but really it was the last show of the taping day. I had fought back at the end, struggling with the dratted buzzer timing, and pulled ahead, and then I just freakin' blanked. That's about it. But Nadine and I have been pen pals ever since. I waived most of the third day prizes except for the Rice a Roni on principal and the home game (and the clunky disk typewriter) and went off to drink martinis, sit with Nadine and her husband at the Roosevelt and listen to Betty Buckley do a cabaret set in the lounge (including Memories). Got to talk to her afterwards, nice lady. Didnt get out the door without coughing up $7K of the $25K to the tax folks. Had to keep quiet about it back home for a couple months. Then when it was the airing week I got interviewed by the Channel 19 Anchorage sports anchor about it. Who at the time was Sarah Palin. I was "Jeopardy Jeff" in the Anchorage legal community for years.
Thanks for sharing your memories and that was clutch to get DJ29 & 30 for the lead.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JeffMoeller wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:46 pmwent off to drink martinis, sit with Nadine and her husband at the Roosevelt and listen to Betty Buckley do a cabaret set in the lounge (including Memories).
Your Jeopardy! competition days are presumably behind you. But just in case, the song is "Memory". Singular. I'd hate to see you lose a close game over that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

JeffMoeller wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:46 pm Re Day 3 FJ. I was tired. It had been a long day. It was "Friday" but really it was the last show of the taping day. I had fought back at the end, struggling with the dratted buzzer timing, and pulled ahead, and then I just freakin' blanked. That's about it. But Nadine and I have been pen pals ever since. I waived most of the third day prizes except for the Rice a Roni on principal and the home game (and the clunky disk typewriter) and went off to drink martinis, sit with Nadine and her husband at the Roosevelt and listen to Betty Buckley do a cabaret set in the lounge (including Memories). Got to talk to her afterwards, nice lady. Didnt get out the door without coughing up $7K of the $25K to the tax folks. Had to keep quiet about it back home for a couple months. Then when it was the airing week I got interviewed by the Channel 19 Anchorage sports anchor about it. Who at the time was Sarah Palin. I was "Jeopardy Jeff" in the Anchorage legal community for years.
Didn’t know that about Palin. Interesting.

Do you know how Jonathan did in his next game(s)?
JeffMoeller

Post by JeffMoeller »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:29 pm
JeffMoeller wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:46 pmwent off to drink martinis, sit with Nadine and her husband at the Roosevelt and listen to Betty Buckley do a cabaret set in the lounge (including Memories).
Your Jeopardy! competition days are presumably behind you. But just in case, the song is "Memory". Singular. I'd hate to see you lose a close game over that.
<groan> I knew that (and hey, I got the lyrics question right about the song) :lol:
JeffMoeller

Post by JeffMoeller »

[/quote]

Didn’t know that about Palin. Interesting.

Do you know how Jonathan did in his next game(s)?
[/quote]

Sarah Palin was one of the sportscasters for the NBC and later the CBS affiliate for a few years before I got up there until a few years after this when she got into politics. She was Sarah Heath in the early years. She's a couple years older than me so she would have been 27 or so at the time. Nice enough to me at the time. Anchorage is a decent sized city (350,000) but everyone at a professional level knows everyone.

The show I lost was at the end of a taping day so I booked it back to Anchorage super hung over the next AM. I seem to recall Jonathan losing the next game but I was gone and I lost touch with him. I don't think Nadine stayed in touch either.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Obviously, Jonathan lost the next game given that the 6/18/91 game is in the archive:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7092
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:02 pm Obviously, Jonathan lost the next game given that the 6/18/91 game is in the archive:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7092
Exactly. Plus, I marked Jonathan on his bio page as a 1-time champ.

Jonathan: 5300+5200=10500
Jessie 7300-7200=100
Brad: 9400+5201=14601
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

More new shows to add to the archive:
5/27/91, 5/28/91, 10/28/91, 9/9/92, 9/11/92, 12/8/92, 10/5/93, 10/7/93, and 10/8/93.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... JJEYITuRru
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

kingskip wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:34 pm More new shows to add to the archive:
5/27/91, 5/28/91, 10/28/91, 9/9/92, 9/11/92, 12/8/92, 10/5/93, 10/7/93, and 10/8/93.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... JJEYITuRru
Thanks, I have them downloaded. Archiving them will take a little more time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 12/8/92 game looked like the best one to do first (either tonight or tomorrow) with a 5xer retiring.
For Deborah I hear, "teacher and..." Is it "caterer", "tailor" or something else?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 pm The 12/8/92 game looked like the best one to do first (either tonight or tomorrow) with a 5xer retiring.
For Deborah I hear, "teacher and..." Is it "caterer", "tailor" or something else?
I say it's caterer. I tried to watch beyond the intros and I finished the first segment, then I realized that the interviews (where Alex might reiterate her jobs) wouldn't come till the end of the second one and I don't have the time to keep watching at the moment.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of kingskip I added 12/8/92: : https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7378

Player pics of Geoff Chanin, Deborah Hardwick & Dennis Donohue:
Spoiler
Thanks for the help with caterer, Sg.