New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

Doug Miller shared with me a little more about his games. His week was not only the introduction of the lockout system (which worked differently than it does today) but was also the introduction of the "can't ring in until Alex finishes reading the clue" rule. (I had previously thought that this rule wasn't introduced until Season 2.) The activation lights were not near the game board, though. They were on the contestant lecterns. This explains why Alex remarked that peripheral vision was needed "on this program" after SIGHT & SOUND $800 in #163, aired 1985-04-24. Even with this major change to the gameplay, Doug says that the contestant coordinators nevertheless still coached to ring in before being able to come up with the correct response (bad advice in retrospect, and somewhat inexplicable). It certainly explains the high numbers of W's that week (two games with 28 W's, tied for the record among Archived games).
murrowboy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by murrowboy »

I'm afraid I gave Robert some bad information. As I look at the tape of my shows and watch when all of the contestants glanced down at the lecterns, I realize my memory was faulty. When I taped my show in January 1985, the ring-in lights mounted on the lectern flashed on not when Alex finished reading the clue, but the moment the clue was exposed on the board. That helps explain not only the unusually high number of erroneous responses, but also the advice from the coaches before we started the taping. We were specifically advised we shouldn't wait to read the clue before ringing in; instead, we had to gamble in advance that we might know the response based on the category and the dollar amount.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This is highly interesting information about the evolution of the lockout system. Thanks, Doug!

Here are Alex's introductory remarks from the first show of Season 2:
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hello everyone, and welcome to our first day of our second year right here on Jeopardy! We hope that, by now, we have gotten over our first-season growing pains, and we're looking forward to an exciting second year. You've noticed some changes we've made already: the colors of the set, the way we had our players enter, and the positioning of the contestants: our champion is at the #1 podium on the outside instead of the #3 podium on the inside. There is one further change that will affect the play of the game and I want to tell you all about it right now, because we hope it will make the game more interesting for you people at home: last season, you will recall, that players could ring in whenever an answer appeared on the board. This year, they can ring in only when the answer has been read, and that will be indicated on our board by this white perimeter light [said light illuminates for the viewers to see]; you folks at home will not necessarily see that at all times, but we're hoping that, by having a few extra moments to consider the answer, you'll be able to play along and match your reflexes against these players. All right, contestants, I know you're anxious to get going as year #2 begins, so let's put the board in motion and play this first round of Jeopardy! Remember that in this round, there will be one Daily Double to help you add to your winnings. Once again, $500, the maximum value at the bottom, $100 at the top in these categories...
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Michael Shutterly #5 is finally complete thanks to the share from jf87: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6818
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:16 pm Michael Shutterly #5 is finally complete thanks to the share from jf87: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6818
Another Final not in the Resource
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 3/17/86: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7077

Player pics of Anita Mule & Cindy Prince who played Clint Swett:
Spoiler

There was a bunch of stuff surrounding Cindy's FJ! response and I would be grateful if someone could save me transcribing it and post something that I can copy and paste to the archive. The spoiler has the video cued to that portion
Spoiler
Thanks and much appreciation as well to Sg for doing the leg work on the challengers' info since this is a S2 game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I think this has it:

Alex: Alright, we're going to start with Cindy Price, who was in third place, doing some fast writing at the end there and laughing about it. You were in third place with 1100. Did you get the right question? Let's take a look.
Cindy: Uhn-uh.

Alex: What is ... what do you mean uhn-uh?

(Cindy chuckles)

Alex: That's right!

(Cindy says something unintelligible -- possibly "What is"?)

Cindy: Nooooooooo

Alex: "What is the Enterprise" is right. Surprise, surprise, surprise! Yes, they used it only for landing tests. You just put it down because you wanted to make a ...

Cindy: (laughing) It was a joke!

Alex: (In a silly voice) Not too funny, Cindy! You're going to add to your score ... how much? 1100, you double your score to 2200 and we move to the lady next to you, Anita ...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'm afraid to see I've duplicated work (I submitted the following as a correction suggestion). Here's my version.

(Alex: All right, we're going to start with Cindy Price, who was in third place. Doing some fast writing at the end there, and laughing about it. You were in third place with $1100. Did you get the right question? Let's take a look.)
(Cindy: Unh-unh.)
(Alex: What is--what do you mean, "Unh-unh"? That's right!)
(Cindy: [Laughing] No-ho-ho!)
(Alex: "What is [*]?" is right. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Yes, they used it only for landing tests. You just put it down because you wanted to make a--)
(Cindy: It was a joke! [Laughs])
[Laughter]
(Alex: [Mock-scoldingly] Not too funny, Cindy.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:03 pm I'm afraid to see I've duplicated work (I submitted the following as a correction suggestion). Here's my version.

(Alex: All right, we're going to start with Cindy Price, who was in third place. Doing some fast writing at the end there, and laughing about it. You were in third place with $1100. Did you get the right question? Let's take a look.)
(Cindy: Unh-unh.)
(Alex: What is--what do you mean, "Unh-unh"? That's right!)
(Cindy: [Laughing] No-ho-ho!)
(Alex: "What is [*]?" is right. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Yes, they used it only for landing tests. You just put it down because you wanted to make a--)
(Cindy: It was a joke! [Laughs])
[Laughter]
(Alex: [Mock-scoldingly] Not too funny, Cindy.)
No good deed, eh? ;)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The correction suggestion is accepted. Thank you both and I do apologize that it ended up being a duplicated job. My plan is to do the 3/18/86 game tomorrow and then it will the nicely growing list of 1995 games to tackle next.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 3/18/86: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7079

Player pics of Louis Seitchik & Gerri Miller who played Clint Swett:
Spoiler
Yeah, that's a S2 game. Better than the first season though still rough in spots before it became a smoother machine.

Thank you Sg for the help with the player information and much obliged to the wider crew who always posts links when games show up in various spots online.

For the S12 games from October my list has 10/11 through 10/26 shared at the Drive.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 10/11/95: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7080

Player pics of Les Muldorf & Holly McCoy who played returning champ Chuck Pitcock:
Spoiler
Quite the deep cut for Holly's miss on DJ29.

As easy as easy can be for the FJ! clue if you know the word, or words like it, while, good luck, otherwise.

The correct response by Les is the kind of thing that annoys some viewers who would be ready to rule with an iron fist and cost him the game.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:42 pm Quite the deep cut for Holly's miss on DJ29.
I had the same answer, but that's because a friend of mine used to work for him.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:42 pm Quite the deep cut for Holly's miss on DJ29.
I had the same answer, but that's because a friend of mine used to work for him.
He's J-Canon, appearing as a response to a triple stumper in one of KJ's games, taped a few months after he died. (The photographer, not Ken.) He also took the famous Cosmopolitan centerfold photo of Burt Reynolds.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Show #2554, aired 1995-10-12, is in. The recording from which it was entered was a Game Show Network rerun. The game also featured a category about game shows which was nominally called THE GAME SHOW NETWORK. At the top of the category, Alex noted that the network "began last year". According to Wikipedia, Game Show Network launched at 7:00 p.m. on December 1, 1994. This was an October 1995 game.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Show #2555, aired 1995-10-13, is in.

I noticed that MEDICINE $600 was almost exactly the same clue as SCIENCE & NATURE $600 in #7522, aired 2017-05-02.

THE QUOTABLE CHURCHILL $400 also sounded familiar, and it was repeated rather recently as CHURCHILL SPEAKS $400 in #8429, aired 2021-06-24.

Other repeat clues left as an exercise for the reader.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 10/27/95: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7084

Player pics of Lori Burns, Jeffrey Jones & Tom Welch:
Spoiler
Not wanting to run into one that Robert might be working on (he did 10/12 & 13) I jumped ahead to the 27th.

We'll see where the Promontory Point is for the Golden Spike for the other Oct. 1995 games available.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 10/16/95: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7086

Player pics of Yvonne Dyess, Doug Bukowski and Paul Thompson:
Spoiler
Anyone with the recording handy know what Paul said for DJ26?

Since I had them already done before the game was archived:

Player pics 10/12/95 of Maureen Delgado & Rob Fisher whol played Les Muldorf:
Spoiler
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

Paul said “What is lox?” for DJ26.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

animfan wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:20 pm Paul said “What is lox?” for DJ26.
Thanks, the fix is in.