New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:10 am Added Season 2 show #350, aired 1986-01-10.

I think COLORS $500 wouldn't be in the bottom row today, nor would Alex have given a BMS prompt on David's initial response.
(No errata.)

That does seem on the easy side for a bottom row clue. It would be interesting to see whether that response got a BMS today. I don't think it should, but it seems like the kind of thing that very well might. And then we'd complain about it here. :D

I wonder if they had to pay royalties for Alex singing part of the Paul Anka song on J29. This may have been an early mistake where they learned something the hard way. That's coming out of your paycheque, Trebek! (It wasn't until 1998 that he started getting a paycheck like the rest of his fellow Americans.)

I stood and stared (well, sat and stared) just like the contestants at at DJ1 SHAKESPEAREAN TRIVIA $200: Pail-of-water fetchers referred to in "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
Spoiler
Jack & Jill. I recognized the reference, of course, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that they'd be referred to directly in a Shakespeare play. So I overcomplicated the clue, trying to think about jacks o' the green or something jills that might exist in the Midsummer Night's Dream universe.
In the very next clue, I lost points by screwing up the preposition in Shakespeare's play about a couple of Italian guys.
Spoiler
The Two Gentlemen OF Verona. (I said "from".)
The following three clues were not about Shakespeare so much as Mutiny on the Bounty (film), opera, and Laurence Olivier. I got the first two and two of the three out of four Shakespeare roles for which Olivier received Oscar nominations.
Spoiler
Hamlet, Richard III, Henry V, Othello. I knew Hamlet and Henry V, and waffled between Richard III and Macbeth, finally settling on Macbeth. Steve got Hamlet Richard III and, like me, guessed Macbeth for the zonk. Steve didn't have the advantage of playing this game after Branagh's Henry V and the inevitable comparisons to Olivier.
So on clues about actual Shakespeare content, I went 0 for 2. 2, coincidentally, is the number of Shakespeare classes I took as an English major at UCLA. Sigh. Didn't read either of the plays mentioned in the clues, but still....

I'm skeptical about their expected response for DJ8 EUROPE $400: Per capita, Germany leads for consuming beer, Portugal for wine, & this country for total alcohol
Spoiler
France, they say. Today, Andorra has a higher alcohol consumption rate. I wonder if that was so back then. Furthermore, I'm almost positive the USSR had a higher consumption rate. And most of that was due to the European part of the USSR where all the people were--Western Russia, Belarus, Ukraine. Several Soviet satellite countries probably also outdid France--Czechoslovakia, Lithuania, Romania, Hungary. But France probably came out first in terms of sales. The USSR and its satellite states probably had a lot more black market and home-brewed consumption that wouldn't make it onto the official stats. I'd have recommended scrapping the clue or pinning it to a source.
Even in 1986 they got a TS for DJ25 ’60s CINEMA $1000: His last screen role was as Nevada Smith in "The Carpetbaggers"
Spoiler
Alan Ladd. No way they'd even try that clue today. Ladd's last appearance as a correct response in the archive was in 2000 where he was identified as the star of Shane. I think even that factoid wouldn't be asked for outside a TOC today.
Didn't know the significance o McLean House in FJ.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:52 am I got "What is Nippon?" for DOUBLE "P"s for $1000. I'm guessing that wouldn't fly.
Points for creativity, though. I finally got to the right response, but way past the buzzer.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:52 am I suspect the airdate wasn't actually a Saturday.
Good catch. Assuming the next game's date is correct with Steve as a three-time champ on Monday, January 13, this game should be Friday, January 10.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:21 pm Good catch. Assuming the next game's date is correct with Steve as a three-time champ on Monday, January 13, this game should be Friday, January 10.
I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Maybe Ladd Sr. is too tough nowadays but I can see them asking about his son Laddie's greenlighting of Star Wars as head of production for 20th Century Fox.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/07/17/arch ... ducer.html
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The first time I saw Arthur Chu it wasn't on Jeopardy! but performing with the dog Crabbe (Molly) referenced in SHAKESPEAREAN TRIVIA $400.
1139_10151444777531615_1692760171_n.jpg
1139_10151444777531615_1692760171_n.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:21 pm Good catch. Assuming the next game's date is correct with Steve as a three-time champ on Monday, January 13, this game should be Friday, January 10.
Our mistake. My eyeballs are working better now. Imagine two guys having the same temporary vision problem like that! :lol:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It must be something that's going around.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:04 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 pm
Our mistake. My eyeballs are working better now. Imagine two guys having the same temporary vision problem like that! :lol:
Penguin Puke.JPG
Penguin Puke.JPG (47.04 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here is a better post than my two previous ones.

Thanks to kingskip I added: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6836

Player pics of Jonathan Silbert, Sheryl Read, and Linda Zusman:
Spoiler
I did not expect to have to deal with 7 media clues.

Applause to anyone who picks up this piece of trash: https://archive.org/details/1998-10-07-j-30

Alex read the 222 TV show as 2-2-2 while I’ve always heard it/said as 2-22. 229 for Season 15 with one to go. As of this post I do not have it. If it turns up, great.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 pm Applause to anyone who picks up this piece of trash: https://archive.org/details/1998-10-07-j-30
Should it come as no surprise that I got it?
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 pm Here is a better post than my two previous ones.

Player pics of Jonathan Silbert, Sheryl Read, and Linda Zusman:
Spoiler

Applause to anyone who picks up this piece of trash: https://archive.org/details/1998-10-07-j-30

Alex read the 222 TV show as 2-2-2 while I’ve always heard it/said as 2-22. 229 for Season 15 with one to go. As of this post I do not have it. If it turns up, great.
I actually was able to track down Jonathan Silbert and got it from him. It’s going to be very hard to find the other one, January 1, 1999. The only known contestant from it is both the returning champ and the champion for that episode, Brian Gillespie. When I did a search for him I found he posted a snippet of his intro from his first game and mentioned that the tape is lost with his other episodes. Without knowing who the other two contestants were, it will be very hard to find.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WC496U1FoZI
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:44 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 pm Applause to anyone who picks up this piece of trash: https://archive.org/details/1998-10-07-j-30
Not a surprise, though you still get an ovation for knowing it. And with my remarks I meant trash as in a stumper clue of course and not the singer.

First 3 for me in the category as I knew the $800 song, but could not place the artist in J! time.

kingskip: I checked my tape where I would have had the NYD game and it's clear I taped over it with either Rock & Roll J!, the Rosie O'Donnell Show or ABC sitcoms. My scoresheet shows the game aired locally on Sunday the 3rd. I have many bad J! habits over the years and one is only writing first names of contestants.

Good luck to anyone able to do anything with Matthew. Perhaps Celia? The next time I'm on FB I can see if I can search the J! player group for a Celia.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

I’ve also wondered about the January 1, 1998 episode. It’s the only one missing from Season 14. Seems odd no one has it considering GSN reran that season about 4 or 5 times.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

kingskip wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:41 pm I’ve also wondered about the January 1, 1998 episode. It’s the only one missing from Season 14. Seems odd no one has it considering GSN reran that season about 4 or 5 times.
Daniel and Mark, maybe Imad Khuri, Trevor(animfan) or even Jamie Locklin(blanquepage) can help you guys about getting the January 1, 1998 episode to circulate or maybe Erick Dye-Cain.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:32 pm
Not a surprise, though you still get an ovation for knowing it. And with my remarks I meant trash as in a stumper clue of course and not the singer.
Yeah, even I'm surprised he was the subject of a clue. He never really had any exposure outside of country music, and by the time this clue was out even they'd pretty much given up on him. (He was on Shania Twain's "From This Moment On", but the pop remix took him out entirely.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How did this game slip through the cracks for so long? The other four games from this era were pre-empted due to a war and two on New Years Day. Did something happen that kept it from being recorded?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^I believe it was Robert M. (R.I.P., rmfromfla) that had originally recorded all those fall 1998 episodes and put them in the Archive when he did (he wasn't able to get the 10/7/98 episode for some reason).
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm not sure whether yes or no is the right way to say I agree. Yes, I think.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 pm Here is a better post than my two previous ones.

Hey Mark, that media clue link works great for me. But the link in the archived game 404s as do all the others I've ever tried, whether video, audio, or image. This is the ingame link at j-archive:

http://www.j-archive.com/media/1998-10-07_J_30.mp4

That one 404s. I tried various changes on the model of the working link you provided. Removing the .mp4 doesn't help. Removing the www doesn't help. Changing it to https doesn't help. Changing those last two underscores to dashes doesn't work. Changing the j to lowercase doesn't work. As far as I can tell, the file is not accessible via j-archive.com/media/.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Michael Pannoni has posted the complete May 8, 1987 episode (the incomplete portion in the Archive starts at the 48:35 mark) on Dailymotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7wm9iq