New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

I cannot make out the city for Judi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

Help, please.

I will be inputting a four spot of consecutive games 10/14/87 - 10/19/87 & 4/19/88 this week.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:46 pm I cannot make out the city for Judi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

Help, please.

I will be inputting a four spot of consecutive games 10/14/87 - 10/19/87 & 4/19/88 this week.
Spoiler
I hear Bricktown, NJ
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:46 pm I cannot make out the city for Judi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

Help, please.

I got
Spoiler
Brookville, New Jersey, since Brookfield doesn't appear to actually be a place, sort of.
ETA: I throw my hat in with Robert, below. Good detective work.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I hear
Spoiler
"Written El--" and then an audio glitch that causes it to be cut off and interrupted by "New Jersey"
for her Johnny introduction and
Spoiler
Brecksennel, New Jersey
for her Alex introduction.

I don't know if this is of any help (Ctrl+F Judi's name).

Or this.

ETA: After a million more listens I am 99% certain it's
Spoiler
...which I see is what you guessed to begin with.

This might have been a letter-to-the-editor she wrote to the NYT.

Possibly a Denver obituary mentioning her.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

I heard this from both:
Spoiler
Bridgeton, New Jersey which is in Cumberland County
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I'm over a decade out of practice as a closed captioner, but I hear the same as some of you...
Spoiler
Bricktown, New Jersey.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you for all of the help with the NJ hometown. I went with Bricktown.

I added 10/14/87 with three new players Judi Owens, Suzee Vlk & Bob Imsande playing after Richard Perez-Pena was retired: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5672

Player photos:
Spoiler

(Suzee on her 2nd game)

The game was one of those typical letdowns after a 5x champ was retired and a Mark special with 14W.

For the J! hall of fame of wrong guesses: BASKETBALL $300: Before 1937, this game-opener was repeated after every score

Suzee:
Spoiler
What is the "Star-Spangled Banner?" I love to imagine a basket and all the players line up with their hands over their hearts.
Alex mentioned Bob was invited to the Seniors Tournament and was unable to make it. Alex also asked his age (66) and Bob said he was in the Corps of Engineers. This leads me to believe this is very likely an obit for Bob: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sandie ... =143107274

For sure this tells of the tragic death of Suzee: http://legacy.sandiegouniontribune.com/ ... 8fall.html
Doogie2K
Contributor

Post by Doogie2K »

I'm curious about a bit of terminology, the "Mark special." I tried searching this thread for an etymology, but both words were considered "too common," and there's no glossary entry on J! Archive, so I'm curious where this term comes from. (I assume it means any game where a contestant wins with less than 1/3 or 1/4 of the clues correct.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Doogie2K wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:10 pm I'm curious about a bit of terminology, the "Mark special." I tried searching this thread for an etymology, but both words were considered "too common," and there's no glossary entry on J! Archive, so I'm curious where this term comes from. (I assume it means any game where a contestant wins with less than 1/3 or 1/4 of the clues correct.)
Right you are not going to find it anywhere. I just use it as it's my kind of luck to dig out an old game to archive and sure enough it's going to have more than 10 incorrect responses between the players. It's more work to enter all of the incorrect responses and I seem to have the "good fortune" to run into such games more than ones more cleanly played.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yeah and on the older tapes it can be harder to make out what the incorrect responses were. Even if you can turn on the closed captioning and it is preserved on the tape, often it's no help because the closed captioning was pretty bad back then.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added Judith Seeger in her first of five games. She faced Lewis Grossman and returning champ Suzee Vlk: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5674

The challengers:
Spoiler

The song in the Audio DD sounded more like the Andrews Sisters than Judy Garland and all I can guess is that Lewis thought it was "Chattanooga Choo-Choo." He should have paid more attention to the lyrics. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:55 pm I added Judith Seeger in her first of five games. She faced Lewis Grossman and returning champ Suzee Vlk: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5674
Too bad she didn't employ her game 1 wagering strategy in her fifth game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:55 pm I added Judith Seeger in her first of five games. She faced Lewis Grossman and returning champ Suzee Vlk: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5674

The challengers:
Spoiler

The song in the Audio DD sounded more like the Andrews Sisters than Judy Garland and all I can guess is that Lewis thought it was "Chattanooga Choo-Choo." He should have paid more attention to the lyrics. :)
I like that FJ clue a lot.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Just out of curiosity, are there any episodes in the Trebek era where someone other than Johnny Gilbert does the contestant introductions?
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:17 pm Just out of curiosity, are there any episodes in the Trebek era where someone other than Johnny Gilbert does the contestant introductions?
Other than the International Tournament held in Stockholm, Sweden, nope those were the only ones that Johnny Gilbert missed out on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:17 pm Just out of curiosity, are there any episodes in the Trebek era where someone other than Johnny Gilbert does the contestant introductions?
I don't think this answers the question you were asking, but Johnny is occasionally absent on a taping day and dubs in his intros later. (In the one taping I attended that Johnny didn't, Jimmy McGuire did the placeholder intros.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That's amazing that daytime Wheel has had 4 announcers in its history, but J! only one.

I am convinced that Johnny Gilbert is the Highlander.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:14 pmToo bad she didn't employ her game 1 wagering strategy in her fifth game.
She probably didn't because in her fifth game both trailers could overtake her, whereas in her first game the contestant in second (Lewis) was in the 2/3-to-3/4 range and third (Suzee) too distant to have a shot where she appeared to employ the "Strong Form" of "Pawson's Gambit" (betting to stay above any "small" bet that can't cover your zero wager from second).

(The "Intermediate Form" is when the maximum small-from-2nd bet can cover your zero, but not your maximum PG wager; the "Weak Form" is when second can cover your maximum PG wager even with a "small" wager and thus you're essentially betting on second missing, as Dan Pawson did in his game leading to the term being invented. Additionally Pawson's Gambit does not apply when both trailers could overtake the leader, as in Judith's fifth game. Also a "small" bet from second is defined as one that is no larger than the smaller of A) The maximum he/she can wager in accordance with the 2/3 rule or B) If second has third locked out the most second can wager to preserve that lock.)

Another interesting point about a "Strong Form" PG game is it's a rare case where (with rational wagering) someone who gets FJ! wrong can win over someone who gets it right and isn't locked out or in third with too little to catch up.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have added Judith Seeger defending against Neil Plakcy & Berbara Herington: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5677

The challengers:
Spoiler

Alex asked Neil about things he had written and Neil shared that he had hopes of being published. It would seem to have happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_S._Plakcy

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/12 ... l_S_Plakcy

Neil had a miss for the hall of fame at FOOD & DRINK $600: Restaurants are "hopping" on the bandwagon to offer this mammal, the latest trend in lean meat

when he went for a marsupial hopper

$800 in the category seemed a touch racially insensitive: When a Mandarin-speaking Chinese orders "mi", he's ordering this--& he should know

The FJ! clue would have sunk me if it asked for both. I took a quick look at the nominee/winner list and since 1987 only Beasts of the Southern Wild has one of those directions in the title.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1656

From Pannoni, July 1, 2002, Tom Gould vs. Judy Anderson vs. Cathy Whitehead.

Another pretty standard game, from about a month after I taped. Let's look at some of the harder clues and facts from this game, rather than the more common, you gotta know style Qs.

HOW ABOUT A REVIVAL? for $1000: Producer George White's show called these "of 1925" included the song "Beware Of The Girl With A Fan"
Spoiler
What are Scandals? George White is to "Scandals" and Ziegfeld is to "Follies".
THE SPIRIT OF '76 (the painting) for $400: The artist, [can you name him?], didn't serve in the Revolution, but with the 86th Ohio Volunteers in [the Civil War]
Spoiler
Archibald Willard
G-MEN & WOMEN for $1600: This existential Frenchman's plays include "The Maids" & "The Balcony"
Spoiler
Who is Jean Genet? This is actually a thing(s) worth knowing. Those are the 2 plays Jeopardy ever asks about for this guy.
ANNIVERSARY GIFTS for $400 (DJ): For our 30th I splurged & got you this 1971 Janis Joplin album on original vinyl
Spoiler
What is Pearl? That's actually a tough one for the "top row, what's this category about" clue.
And clue of the game, simply because you don't see circumflexes in clues very often, DIACRITICAL MARKS for $2000
The circumflex in the French words hôtel & hôpital signifies that this letter once followed the o
Spoiler
What is s?
Winner of this game had the honor of losing to a new 1-day record the next day. When I taped, (a month before this show aired) I was under the impression the record was $39,000, set by Brad Rutter at the Million Dollar Masters. (I was gunning for the record, and so was tracking it pretty closely) And yes, his was the highest score earned up to that point in games that had aired. Jeff Goldfarb's $39,999 was more though, and he had taped previously, so Rutter was never actually the record-holder. They told me the record was $39,999 when I was making my Final Jeopardy wager, but those extra 9s didn't register with me until long after I had left the studio. It thought my going-into-FJ score of $39,000 had tied the record.

Have a good day.