New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni3 has also posted the June 27, 2002 (only the intro is archived so far) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/michael-pannoni
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

YouTube user mastahc411 has posted the March 3, 1993 episode on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GUpRLv-Pf5M
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Funny(?) coincidence, but player 11011 in the Archive, Alec Fischthal, played in a game that aired on 11/11.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:pannoni3 has also posted the June 27, 2002 (only the intro is archived so far) episode on Dailymotion:

Well, it's been a while. Let's see if I remember how to do this. Jeremy Horowitz vs. Missy Montemayor vs. John Overholt http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1548

A game heavy on video clues, and even a straight-up audio clue in the first round.

The Jeopardy round was a Jack Nicholson theme board, with a couple of extra theme categories finding their way into DJ. Randy and Dennis Quaid both showed up, in otherwise unrelated clues in 2 different categories.

The Daily Double in CHINA TOWN was basically repeated 11 years later in CHINA TOWNS in this game. Here Alex gave 2 pronunciations for the correct response, so I included two different spellings of the name, using the most common spelling of the name of the city as the correct response (since that what the clue asked for) and the name of the beer as the alternate. (For a different clue in the same category, note that "Ohio city" is used both times as a hint for the current name of Guangzhou.)

Shenanigans were afoot in the IF THEY MARRIED... category. John gets dinged for leaving off a first name that doesn't appear in the clue (makes sense, sort of, but this is a wordplay category, so I'd have allowed it), but then 2 clues down Jeremy gets dinged for leaving off a name that does appear in the clue. Should have prompted, imho. I think they were forced into judging harshly by the THE SHINING for $1000 clue, which all players missed. They were right in that case, however, I'd say.

Note to future correction submitters: The $2000 clue in BEATLES LYRICS is accurate as presented on the show.

Couple of additions to the Jeopardy canon, although they've shown up before in clues in different forms. This show has the Archive's only instance of asking for their names with these particular facts

"Depression Bread Line" sculptor (another of his "realistic" model sculptures)
Spoiler
George Segal
Quebec Separatist leader (1976)
Spoiler
René Lévesque
FJ is a Marktiple choice clue, where it helps if you notice the name is
Spoiler
French-sounding
. 2 of the contestants did not.

Clue of the game, let's do WOLF for $1000.
Also known as the prairie wolf, it can be bred successfully with domestic dogs
Spoiler
What is a coyote?
I didn't know either part of that clue, so that was fun to learn.

It's good to be back, after a month of training on new shifts at work. I'm gonna have to go back through this thread and make a list of the games yet to be done, in addition to the two games I've got left on kingskip's DVDs. Good night.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

First off, kudos to those who posted the 2001 Holiday Kids Week recaps. I had been waiting for that week to surface for a long time because a) I remember it being a hell of a week, and b) I remember watching it intently at the time because I was the qualifying age when it aired.

I see that pannoni3 over at Dailymotion had two of those five episodes uploaded on his channel. I was wondering if the other three were available for view anywhere online. I guess whoever did the recaps would be the ones to ask. Thanks!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Well, it's been a while. Let's see if I remember how to do this. Jeremy Horowitz vs. Missy Montemayor vs. John Overholt http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1548
Jeremy Horowitz would appear, apropos of nothing, in the last game of the Battle of the Decades. (They used a clip of his interview in one of the clues.)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

http://www.dailymotion.com/animfan11

Animfan1 has posted three 1989 games featuring a Raisa Deber's two wins. Raisa's first game had Tyler Ochoa, whose first game is in the archive, as a 2-time returning champion.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

For the record, here are all the tournament winners that don't have any of their games from that tournament archived yet.

1987 Teen - Michael Galvin
1988 Seniors - Peggy Kennedy
1990 Seniors - George Soule
1992 Seniors - Leonard Schmidt
1994 College - Jeff Stewart
1994 Seniors - Bart Thomas
1995 College - Ben Lyon
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

pannoni3 has also posted three of a Kalyan Farrington's four games from season 13, a little while ago.

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

JayK33 wrote:http://www.dailymotion.com/animfan11

Animfan1 has posted three 1989 games featuring a Raisa Deber's two wins. Raisa's first game had Tyler Ochoa, whose first game is in the archive, as a 2-time returning champion.
Starting with the first game, February 21, 1989, Raisa Deber vs. Dave Stiles vs. Tyler Ochoa.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5464

As you mentioned, Tyler was already in the Archive, but it was as part of a partial game, so we now have his occupation and hometown. That's good.

Clue of the game will be NEW WORDS for $400 (J!):
It's the money a corporation pays to buy back its own stock at inflated prices to avoid a takeover
Spoiler
What is greenmail?
I'd never heard this word before, but it make sense. It shows up again in the Archive 22 years later.

Harry Eisenberg's Jeopardy book indicates that Merv Griffin was friends with Eva Gabor, and thus Zsa Zsa was off limits as a clue topic. Raisa, of course, would not and did not know that, so she missed ACTRESSES for $400 (DJ!).

Don't mix up: the designer of Jackie Kennedy's fashions, and the designer of her pillbox hat, like I did.
Spoiler
Fashions: Oleg Cassini. Pillbox hat: Halston
The Archive's other clues for the hat guy seem weird to me, but I'm tired. Good day all.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm glad he picked up $26,000 in his two wins since all he got was a ceiling fan in this game. Good grief the "nice prizes" they gave out back in the day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/28/02 is filled in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1549

If a game has a new challenger facing a returning champ and someone brought back because of some kind of error bet on the newbie.

WIZARDS $600 had a funny Trebek mistake.

As far as I can determine the FJ! clue still holds true.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:6/28/02 is filled in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1549

If a game has a new challenger facing a returning champ and someone brought back because of some kind of error bet on the newbie.

WIZARDS $600 had a funny Trebek mistake.

As far as I can determine the FJ! clue still holds true.
I was looking for that Wizard clue a while back. Glad to see it's now in the Archive.

Funny coincidence there'd be Turkey and Potatoes categories in the game you entered during your Thanksgiving break.

I'd assume Tony was brought back due to his earlier FJ, even though the Vatican isn't really on the Mediterranean.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:WIZARDS $600 had a funny Trebek mistake.
A clip of this blooper has been on YouTube for ages.

Honestly, I thought asking for that was very obscure. Even among game show circles, very few people know anything about it or hold any nostalgia for it. No episodes circulate, either.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

TenPoundHammer wrote:

Honestly, I thought asking for that was very obscure. Even among game show circles, very few people know anything about it or hold any nostalgia for it. No episodes circulate, either.
I agree. It's a ridiculously obscure series that even many (most?) hardcore game show enthusiasts have never heard of. The fact that the $800 and $1000 clues are both quite simple make it even more glaring.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Harry Eisenberg's Jeopardy book indicates that Merv Griffin was friends with Eva Gabor, and thus Zsa Zsa was off limits as a clue topic. Raisa, of course, would not and did not know that, so she missed ACTRESSES for $400 (DJ!).
That's really interesting; why would Griffin's friendship with Eva preclude Zsa Zsa as a topic? Did they have some falling out? Did she think it was embarrassing?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

IronNeck wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

I agree. It's a ridiculously obscure series that even many (most?) hardcore game show enthusiasts have never heard of. The fact that the $800 and $1000 clues are both quite simple make it even more glaring.
I knew it because I am a little more into Jeopardy than the average person and have read up on Alex. But Wikipedia did not exist in 2002 and probably wouldn't have known it. That show had been off the air for 30 years at the time and the host flubbing its name should tell you of its obscurity.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

I knew it because I am a little more into Jeopardy than the average person and have read up on Alex. But Wikipedia did not exist in 2002 and probably wouldn't have known it. That show had been off the air for 30 years at the time and the host flubbing its name should tell you of its obscurity.
Actually, it was around then, it was launched in January of 2001. (I remember looking at Wikipedia shortly after 9/11 to see what it said about it. (I heard about it early).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The page on The Wizard of Odds wasn't created until 2003, though.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This compilation of game show theme songs, which included music from "The Wizard of Odds," was released in 1998.