New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

Not sure, but check out his book:

Is That Your Final Answer? is Philip D. Gibbons' first novel. Mr. Gibbons' journalism has appeared in The Atlanta-Journal Constitution, Washington Babylon, France Today and Fair.org's Extra! He is also the producer of the documentary film, The Devil and the Death Penalty, which chronicles the dysfunction within California's death penalty process via the case of notorious serial killer Lawrence Bittaker. His podcast, Some Very Famous People You've Never Really Heard Of, features biographies of the famous, the infamous and the quirky in less than an hour. Mr. Gibbons is also a former corporate business development executive, teacher, Super Bowl beer salesman and soldier of fortune.
Here's his bio on his podcast website, going strong since 2015. There seems to be a form there where one can communicate with him.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Yes it was indeed him, that 1989 episode was on DM I think a couple years ago but later it got deleted. Plus I found this article from his Millionaire experience that mentions his time on Jeopardy:
https://emceesteve.tripod.com/gibbons.htm
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thanks for posting the interview.
The one thing that has changed forever [by the Millionaire win] is the fact that I went on Jeopardy! 12 years ago, lost by two dollars to a five-time undefeated champion in a very disappointing and unpleasant experience in many ways.
Jim Tompkins-MacLaine was actually defeated in his fifth game by challenger Carol Young, a trailing player who won a TS FJ! by betting small.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:21 pm
Thanks for posting the interview.
The one thing that has changed forever [by the Millionaire win] is the fact that I went on Jeopardy! 12 years ago, lost by two dollars to a five-time undefeated champion in a very disappointing and unpleasant experience in many ways.
Jim Tompkins-MacLaine was actually defeated in his fifth game by challenger Carol Young, a trailing player who won a TS FJ! by betting small.
Jim’s stats page doesn’t link to his TOC stats. Not a big deal, just bringing it to your attention.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Fixed before I even saw this!
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Here is the full show of 3/25/96
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

kingskip wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:20 pm Here is the full show of 3/25/96
Thanks, it's almost complete. The archive did not like it being a partial game and some of the clue numbering is off. I'll get it fixed tomorrow as too late to fuss with it now.

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7109
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:05 am
Thanks, it's almost complete. The archive did not like it being a partial game and some of the clue numbering is off. I'll get it fixed tomorrow as too late to fuss with it now.

MUSIC APPRECIATION for $800 has a funny typo.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

I guess that contemporary ATGS post I lead everyone to at first only mentioned where Peter was stationed - from finally getting the introduction it said he was from Oceanside, CA.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Seems odd the month of March in Season 12 seems largely unaccounted for in the archive. This is the only March episode on the trading circuit.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:30 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:05 am

MUSIC APPRECIATION for $800 has a funny typo.
Numbering fixed, Peter changed to Oceanside with Lt. eliminated and j to i typo gone. Older game present the clues with different style screens. The OCR love the darker blue clear screen while it takes a different setting to get the hazier style recognized. Periods instead of commas is another common pick-up error by the OCR.

Whatever, it's done and complete for the good news.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

This may not be the greatest place for this, but I remember that back in the day there were lots of videos on YouTube consisting of montages of the intros (and some FJ!s) of early season ToCs (and Super J!). Nowadays I can’t find any of them anymore. I found links to a couple, which said that the associated YouTube account had been terminated. Is there any way to still watch these?

Thank you so much!
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

countyguy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:49 pm This may not be the greatest place for this, but I remember that back in the day there were lots of videos on YouTube consisting of montages of the intros (and some FJ!s) of early season ToCs (and Super J!). Nowadays I can’t find any of them anymore. I found links to a couple, which said that the associated YouTube account had been terminated. Is there any way to still watch these?

Thank you so much!
I bet it was thegreatwhamini, it was also the same person who also once uploaded the USA reruns of the November 1985(from around the Thanksgiving time)-1986 PYL episodes in crystal clear recordings, but somehow were vanished before GSN even picked up such episodes from that said area.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Page 4? That will never do!

I'm assuming this is a typo, but before I changed it I wanted to check, since they might have actually described the character that way, maybe?

https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9846
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:04 am Page 4? That will never do!

I'm assuming this is a typo, but before I changed it I wanted to check, since they might have actually described the character that way, maybe?
Spoiler
https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9846
Yes, her character on The Goldbergs is described that way. Not a typo.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:04 am I'm assuming this is a typo, but before I changed it I wanted to check, since they might have actually described the character that way, maybe?
Best practice, if you didn't enter the data originally, is to submit a correction suggestion on it rather than to change it directly, that way there's a paper trail of the change.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

We can add $65,270 on The Price is Right at Night with Rachel Brosnahan to Hans von Walter's elongated winnings on game shows.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

No new game but a correction regarding S12 5x player Brad Plovan -- even after I shared his 4th and 5th games last summer, his statistics page has his regular play games coming AFTER his 2005 UToC appearance.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan87 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:44 pm No new game but a correction regarding S12 5x player Brad Plovan -- even after I shared his 4th and 5th games last summer, his statistics page has his regular play games coming AFTER his 2005 UToC appearance.
My guess is the glitch has something to go with Brad's UTOC and TOC games entered before his regular play. I looked at his alias numbers and they seem okay.

Alias meaning regular play is one player number, that number then gets put in his TOC player page to connect to his previous appearance and the same for the UTOC. It's all out of order and I'm not sure how to fix it. RKS can probably clean it up when he sees these recent posts.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:12 pm RKS can probably clean it up when he sees these recent posts.
Only problem I could find was the original-5 Brad had an alias entry, which he should not have. Deleting that, and all looks good. Yes?