New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by alietr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:13 am

dell3234 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:45 pm
When you can start filling in the unfilled information for the Jeopardy episodes for season 18.

Also can you considering posting the secret link?

Thanks
Dell, you might want to sit back and read what goes on here for a while and put some more thought into what you post.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Someone else is making the same inane requests over at the Buy a Vowel forums. Same guy I wonder?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
JErickson2021
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:07 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by JErickson2021 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 am

Hello, I would like to know where all of the really old archived games come from.
~Flux3on

User avatar
jlgarfield
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:06 pm
Location: Seattle area

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jlgarfield » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 am

^ Many of the members have tapes of the games, so they enter them from there.

jfwow2018
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jfwow2018 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:42 pm

Hoping for some insight into archiving J! games. I've been a pretty active viewer for the past few years (watching whenever I can), and I was hoping to to add some games that were missed. Any insight into perhaps some software or formatting that would help in the recording of clues and answers would be much appreciated. Furthermore, I've tried searching through the forum, however, the terms "j", "archive", "software", and "format" are all a bit too ambiguous (no matter which I mix together, apparently), so I'm not sure if there is a thread or a post that would already have this information. I feel that recording these clues would be a way to better my own skills with trivia and increase the overall amount of information I have to recall. I would understand if this archiving is done only by a specific group of people, but information either way would be greatly appreciated. I am posting on this thread because I saw it was quite an active and relevant one, but I may re-post this as a new thread if I don't get any clear info in the next week or so.

TL;DR looking to help with the J! Archive; any info appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 pm

jfwow2018 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:42 pm
Hoping for some insight into archiving J! games. I've been a pretty active viewer for the past few years (watching whenever I can), and I was hoping to to add some games that were missed. Any insight into perhaps some software or formatting that would help in the recording of clues and answers would be much appreciated. Furthermore, I've tried searching through the forum, however, the terms "j", "archive", "software", and "format" are all a bit too ambiguous (no matter which I mix together, apparently), so I'm not sure if there is a thread or a post that would already have this information. I feel that recording these clues would be a way to better my own skills with trivia and increase the overall amount of information I have to recall. I would understand if this archiving is done only by a specific group of people, but information either way would be greatly appreciated. I am posting on this thread because I saw it was quite an active and relevant one, but I may re-post this as a new thread if I don't get any clear info in the next week or so.

TL;DR looking to help with the J! Archive; any info appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Are you in possession of video of games not currently in J! Archive?
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

jfwow2018
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jfwow2018 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:58 am

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Are you in possession of video of games not currently in J! Archive?
Yeah, some recent ones I have on my DVR.

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Jeff-thecdboy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 am

pannoni3 has posted the February 5, 1992 (Frank Epstein game 1, most of it) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/michael-pannoni

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5539
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:13 pm

The "HOT" category had three of the same responses as "HOT" STUFF in my first game.

The scores are $2,600-$2,800-$1,000 going into the second clue of DJ, and the video cuts from that clue to a DD clue, the sixth clue of DJ. The second clue was $400, and the clues we don't see were worth $200, $400, and $600. The scores (just before Linda Hilton's changes with her DD response) are then $2,600-$3,800-$1,600, so every skipped clue had a correct response. In the rest of the game the players all behave and go from the top down, so presumably Frank got the first $400 clue, switched categories and got the $200 and $400, and then Linda got the $600 and uncovered the DD in the $800 spot.

Also skipped are the intros. Before FJ, Alex says returning champ Sharon Goldstein earned $10,000 on the previous show, and he mentions she's from Hollywood during the interviews, but there isn't a mention of profession. Alex talks to Linda about her work writing historical romance novels, but we don't get a hometown for her. Frank we already know about, so of course Alex says his last name, hometown, and job in the interview.

Frank makes a strong comeback in the final clues of DJ, but negs on the last $800 clue, and ends up entering FJ $800 behind first place. In a slightly different universe that $800 guess is a source of regret for him, but in reality luck swings his way.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:38 am

jfwow2018 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:58 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Are you in possession of video of games not currently in J! Archive?
Yeah, some recent ones I have on my DVR.
Are you in possession of games from before Season 20 not currently in J! Archive?
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9039
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am

The last Holmes clue would have come in handy on a recent FJ.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4279
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:38 am
jfwow2018 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:58 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Are you in possession of video of games not currently in J! Archive?
Yeah, some recent ones I have on my DVR.
Are you in possession of games from before Season 20 not currently in J! Archive?
It sounded to me like he was talking about recent games as in this season. I don’t know if there was a temporary archivist shortage or something that has been solved but it does seem like there have been a lot of games not getting entered in the last year. Maybe someone is working on catching this up, or maybe it had been caught up. I don’t know the current status

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:06 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm
It sounded to me like he was talking about recent games as in this season. I don’t know if there was a temporary archivist shortage or something that has been solved but it does seem like there have been a lot of games not getting entered in the last year. Maybe someone is working on catching this up, or maybe it had been caught up. I don’t know the current status
We have a new crew of Archivists who are currently being onboarded to handle the current games. Unfortunately, Robert K S is also incredibly busy and we are working as best as we can with this.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:31 am

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 am
pannoni3 has posted the October 18, 1995 (Paul Thompson game 4) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/michael-pannoni
And I've got this one in the Archive as best I could.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5886

That's one more ToC player with a regular-season game in the Archive. Thanks to Pannoni for uploading the game.

Quick thoughts:

Allen missed the Daily Double in ZOOLOGY for $500, but you should be able to get it in 3 words:
Found on Madagascar...
SpoilerShow
What is a lemur?

Full clue: Found on Madagascar, the indri is the largest surviving member of these primates
I always enjoy synchronicities between consecutively-entered-by-me games in the Archive, especially when they're years apart. This game from 1995 and the first of the Final games from the 2017 ToC both had clues mentioning the card game spite & malice. That'll be near the top of the obscurity chart for sure.

Clue of the game will be MISC. for $1000:
Chartered in 1925, this Vermont college emphasizes individual programs of study
SpoilerShow
What is Bennington?

"Bennington" is Pavlov for Vermont, especially with regard to the Revolutionary War battle.
It didn't affect the outcome of the game, but Allen had a doozy of a blooper in FJ. It ended up costing him the furniture collection, but I'd rather have the sports watch myself.

Have a good night.

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by dinghammer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:35 am

(Catching up on this thread for the first time this year...)
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:35 pm
IN DJ!, have a look at BRITISH POETS & POETRY if you'd like to test yourself on a hard academic category. The work at $2000, Age of Anxiety", is basically new to the Archive, since in its only other appearance
SpoilerShow
the author's first and middle names are also given (Wystan Hugh), which is a pretty big hint.
Reading this post, I thought, "Wasn't it [the correct answer]? But surely they've appeared before..." Imagine my surprise.
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:35 pm
FJ! has an instance of a contestant responding with (almost) her name. Unfortunately, it was an incorrect response. See if you can get all three:
THE OSCARS

1 of only 3 movies to be nominated for both Best Picture & Best Foreign Language Film in the same year
I don't know if I would have known one of those immediately if I'd looked at this thread before
SpoilerShow
the Olympics.
As it was, I did. Unfortunately, I looked at the clue and the answers in the archive before fully reading your post, so I only guessed the one.
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:31 am
And I've got this one in the Archive as best I could.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5886
There's a category about former cheerleaders in the Pointless app, and three of the ones in that category were also in that episode, though I think I would have known them anyway. The other two are probably a bit too American, and I also missed them. I didn't recognize the catchphrase or remember who was(/is?) on the "Today" show. The only other ones I can remember offhand from the Pointless app are
SpoilerShow
George W. Bush, Reese Witherspoon, and Kirsten Dunst. A little early for any of them to come up on Jeopardy!
Thanks to all the archivists!

jfwow2018
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jfwow2018 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:06 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:38 am
jfwow2018 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:58 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Are you in possession of video of games not currently in J! Archive?
Yeah, some recent ones I have on my DVR.
Are you in possession of games from before Season 20 not currently in J! Archive?
It sounded to me like he was talking about recent games as in this season. I don’t know if there was a temporary archivist shortage or something that has been solved but it does seem like there have been a lot of games not getting entered in the last year. Maybe someone is working on catching this up, or maybe it had been caught up. I don’t know the current status
Yeah, I think there were a few I noticed that hadn't been entered. I think the confusion was more about old new games vs new new games. I record it daily and would be very interested in helping provide content as needed as I have noticed there are some times where the turnaround for new games is closer to a week and I would definitely be able to transcribe the game the same day some times.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:17 pm

jfwow2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:06 pm
Yeah, I think there were a few I noticed that hadn't been entered. I think the confusion was more about old new games vs new new games. I record it daily and would be very interested in helping provide content as needed as I have noticed there are some times where the turnaround for new games is closer to a week and I would definitely be able to transcribe the game the same day some times.
Thank you for your interest. We'll certainly keep you in mind the next time we choose to add Archivists to the team.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

dell3234
Contributor
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by dell3234 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:31 pm

how many unfilled games are there left to be added

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7577
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by econgator » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:32 am

dell3234 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:31 pm
how many unfilled games are there left to be added
At a rough glance, somewhere around 1,500.

dell3234
Contributor
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by dell3234 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 am

how are we going to do it?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Antuanettiz, Baidu [Spider] and 16 guests