New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:53 pm
I added what I had of 3/25/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6085

Player pics of Roz Jay, Michael Hairston & Tom Halpern:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
Disappointed we don't have the clues from that BUSY BEAVERS category. I wonder if it was the animals or something else?

User avatar
jlgarfield
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:06 pm
Location: Seattle area

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jlgarfield » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 pm

^ I seem to remember that the results of this game were posted when Tom was in the UTOC 13 years ago (that long already?). How much did he win, and I believe we have the FJ for that game in the FJ! clues archive that came up a few years ago.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm

jlgarfield wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 pm
^ I seem to remember that the results of this game were posted when Tom was in the UTOC 13 years ago (that long already?). How much did he win, and I believe we have the FJ for that game in the FJ! clues archive that came up a few years ago.
Yes, the FJ! clue is in the collected FJ! clues:

567 1991‑03‑25 AMERICAN PLAYWRIGHTS HE WAS 61 WHEN HE MADE HIS ACTING DEBUT IN 1 OF HIS OWN PLAYS, "SMALL CRAFT WARNINGS", IN 1972 WHO WAS TENNESSEE WILLIAMS?

I have the results from my scoresheet:

Tom: 8900-499=8401 (2x = $23,602)
Michael: 4200+4000=8200
Joy: 3100+3100=6200

My preference is not to add a bunch of fake clues just to include the FJ! round when I don't even have the player responses either.

User avatar
jlgarfield
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:06 pm
Location: Seattle area

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jlgarfield » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 pm

^ Thanks once again. :D And I do understand not wanting to include the FJ! in the archive what with what little is available there.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:14 pm

I added 7/3/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6086

Player pics of John Patlan, Joyce Patterson & Jim McManus:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
I wonder if Jim is over DD3 yet?

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:14 pm
I added 7/3/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6086

Player pics of John Patlan, Joyce Patterson & Jim McManus:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
I wonder if Jim is over DD3 yet?
I know I wouldn't be. Ouch. How did he react when Alex told him the correct response? I mean, to me, this DD is dead obvious and only the bewitching power of the lights could keep me from getting it. If Jim feels the same way, this miss has to be particularly painful. But if he just didn't happen to know this one, maybe the pain has turned into wistfulness by now.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:14 pm
I added 7/3/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6086

Player pics of John Patlan, Joyce Patterson & Jim McManus:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
I wonder if Jim is over DD3 yet?
I know I wouldn't be. Ouch. How did he react when Alex told him the correct response? I mean, to me, this DD is dead obvious and only the bewitching power of the lights could keep me from getting it. If Jim feels the same way, this miss has to be particularly painful. But if he just didn't happen to know this one, maybe the pain has turned into wistfulness by now.
Alex was shown giving the correct response with no shot of Jim. Only Jim can answer the why of his guess. It cost him the match that much is certain and I am not sure that 28 years is enough time to fully erase the memory.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:10 pm

I added 7/4/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6087

Player picks of Judith Reusswig, Rob Manning, & John Patlan:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 pm

I added 6/25/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6088

Player pics of Rick Cate, Gaye Kapkin & Bill Heins:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 pm
I added 6/25/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6088

Player pics of Rick Cate, Gaye Kapkin & Bill Heins:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
How sad were you that they didn't get to most of 1940s TELEVISION? I'd have liked to see that too.

My guess for FJ was about 15 years too early:
SpoilerShow
Who is Dan Brown?

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 pm
I added 6/25/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6088

Player pics of Rick Cate, Gaye Kapkin & Bill Heins:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
How sad were you that they didn't get to most of 1940s TELEVISION? I'd have liked to see that too.

My guess for FJ was about 15 years too early:
SpoilerShow
Who is Dan Brown?
The TV was the one I wanted to see the most and naturally it was barely touched. I searched for the category in the Archive and the clues from later seasons show there is probably a narrow window of what can be used: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search including one very similar to the one that was played.

Your guy for the FJ! round was the first one that occurred to me while I was aware it was a 1990 game and knew I had to find a better fit. From there I hit a 50:50 correctly when Bierce seemed the wrong way to go.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm

I added what I had of 2/12/87: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6089

Player pics of Bob White, Virginia Sielen & Keith Chun:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
Alex mentioned the upcoming Teen Tournament starting on Monday.

A couple of bonus features for the J! Board:

The 12th clue of the DJ! round was LANGUAGES $1000: Translation of this familiar sentence in Esperanto: “En la komenco Dio kreis la cielon kaj la teron”

The tape cut out before a player rang in. The correct response:
SpoilerShow
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
The game opened with Alex giving this explanation:
SpoilerShow
Yes, the video quality is bad though what helps me with archiving is when I pause on a clue it is plenty readable.

For MOVIES $300 I did not add any kind of note. Is that quote correct? Does Scheider say it several times? The same way each time or different ways? I took a quick look on YT and found the line said differently.

If a fan of the movie has a strong need for some kind of ERRATUM then let me know and I can add something.

I’m at the point when I do not have any more regular play games (other than S18) whole or incomplete to archive with a known location in my tape collection. There are some tapes I should have and cannot find that should have some games and in the past I may have skipped over some other games with just a FJ! round or something like that I did not bother to put in. I’ll be on the lookout for those.

That means I am ready to begin tackling the missing tournament games. I took a quick count and I think it’s about 200 of them not in the Archive. In my collection I do not have all of them although I have a great many of them. While working on the tournament games I may find a regular play game added on after the tournament. Time will tell.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6085
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Volante » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:33 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm
For MOVIES $300 I did not add any kind of note. Is that quote correct? Does Scheider say it several times? The same way each time or different ways? I took a quick look on YT and found the line said differently.

If a fan of the movie has a strong need for some kind of ERRATUM then let me know and I can add something.
I'm going off memory here, but that line as typed doesn't even ring a bell. He says the iconic two words several times, but I know there's at least two variants it's involved in.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Volante wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm
For MOVIES $300 I did not add any kind of note. Is that quote correct? Does Scheider say it several times? The same way each time or different ways? I took a quick look on YT and found the line said differently.

If a fan of the movie has a strong need for some kind of ERRATUM then let me know and I can add something.
I'm going off memory here, but that line as typed doesn't even ring a bell. He says the iconic two words several times, but I know there's at least two variants it's involved in.
Thanks. I'll monitor the correction suggestions that come in as well. For now I'll leave the clue as is.

************
I added what I had of 7/12/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6090

With introductions missing for this game I went with Hart over Harte for Maureen’s last name when Alex said it. For Gil I heard something in the neighborhood of Honnaker, Honager, Honneger etc. with too many possibilities to take a guess.

Finding even this portion of a 1989 seniors game was a surprise, since that is the one tourney I thought I had none of on tape. With other tournaments I expect a lot more complete games and incomplete ones the rarity. [Fingers crossed]

Player pics of Tom Welter: Gil, & Maureen Hart:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:27 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:59 pm
Volante wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm
For MOVIES $300 I did not add any kind of note. Is that quote correct? Does Scheider say it several times? The same way each time or different ways? I took a quick look on YT and found the line said differently.

If a fan of the movie has a strong need for some kind of ERRATUM then let me know and I can add something.
I'm going off memory here, but that line as typed doesn't even ring a bell. He says the iconic two words several times, but I know there's at least two variants it's involved in.
Thanks. I'll monitor the correction suggestions that come in as well. For now I'll leave the clue as is.

************
I added what I had of 7/12/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6090

With introductions missing for this game I went with Hart over Harte for Maureen’s last name when Alex said it. For Gil I heard something in the neighborhood of Honnaker, Honager, Honneger etc. with too many possibilities to take a guess.

Finding even this portion of a 1989 seniors game was a surprise, since that is the one tourney I thought I had none of on tape. With other tournaments I expect a lot more complete games and incomplete ones the rarity. [Fingers crossed]

Player pics of Tom Welter: Gil, & Maureen Hart:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
Note the top-row Daily Double in Double Jeopardy at KISSES for $200 (which would likely be a bottom-row clue today). And the contestant response at KISSES for $1000 is almost certainly Marguerite, who shows up on other versions of the story, if not Marlowe's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust_(opera)

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:11 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:59 pm


************
I added what I had of 7/12/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6090
Note the top-row Daily Double in Double Jeopardy at KISSES for $200 (which would likely be a bottom-row clue today). And the contestant response at KISSES for $1000 is almost certainly Marguerite, who shows up on other versions of the story, if not Marlowe's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust_(opera)
Thanks. I decided to remove the qualifier since it's very likely that is what she said.

Working on the older games demonstrates a wide range of Audio Daily Doubles and those music right issues probably are a strong indicator those games will never be part of the 70 (so far) Hulu games of the more recent range.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1059
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Mark,

What percentage of those old games would you say had Audio Daily Doubles?
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:21 am

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:30 pm
Mark,

What percentage of those old games would you say had Audio Daily Doubles?
My initial instinct on all of the '87-'89 range games I have input had me thinking it has to be over 50% as it seemed like there was always one. cheezguyty could help although I suspect I am guilty (and perhaps other archivists) of not always marking such clues with the AUDIO DAILY DOUBLE notation.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:37 pm

I added 5/9/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6091

to give the 1988 Seniors Tournament its first representation in the Archive

Player pics of Jim Gaylord, Louise Reyburn Dice & Tom Wickham:
SpoilerShow
Image

Image

Image
Obits for Louise & Tom:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:44 pm

Tom's obit says he was a 4x champ in the '70s. Considering it also refers to the Seniors Tournament as a ToC, I wonder how accurate that is.

Post Reply