New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:18 pm
I added 7/9/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6770

More NEW TESTAMENT for another Bible category.
Seems like that came up a lot more back then, huh? Pretty easy clues here. I wonder how they'd fare today.

I guess it's predictable that seniors in 1991 would pass on the TV SITCOMS category. We'll never know, but I'd put the odds of a Golden Girls clue at approximately 100%.

I wanted a BMS on J7 THE WWII HOME FRONT $200: Major sporting events cancelled in 1940 included Wimbledon & this, slated for Helsinki
Spoiler
They let Dow get away with just "The Olympics". File that under "If I'd known that's all you wanted, I'd have rung in too!" But who wants to lose the coin flip and give the clue to another player? So... Helsinki. Which Olympics would YOU guess?
Spoiler
Wrong! It's Summer! The Winter Olympics for that year were also canceled. (Back then for those who don't remember or are too young, Summer and Winter Olympics occurred in the same year.) The Winter Olympics would have been held in Sapporo, Japan which to me is a far more fascinating fact than the Helsinki Cancellation. (Wasn't that a Big Bang Theory episode title?)
Nice work getting the spelling right on Clark Gable's wife. Since I point out the mistakes, I figure I should highlight the gets as well. And speaking of mistakes... (sorry) J10 THE WWII HOME FRONT $500 has a space between t and his that shouldn't be there.

I found myself completely at a loss on J14 THE EARTH $400: 1 of the "50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth" is not to do this while brushing your teeth
Spoiler
Leave the water running. Seriously? People do that? What is WRONG with you?!?!!?
Dow made a curious comment before wagering on DD1: "Well, I didn't come here to wet my bill; let's bet it all." I'm not sure I've heard "wet my bill" used with that meaning. I'm familiar with "wet my beak" meaning to get a little something for myself out of the (usually illicit) proceeds. But Dow clearly means something like "I didn't come here to go small".

So on J24 SPELLING $400, Alex botched the reading and just didn't let anyone ring in and no other clue was substituted? Or were they allowed to ring in and just chose not to despite only needing to spell the word Alex had started to say?

The response to DJ14 TEXTILES $800 is kind of...
Spoiler
Lame. I'd go with lamé myself.
Got one of the two for FJ, which more than any contestant did and all that was needed.
Spoiler
Got Trenton. If forced to pick a second, I'd have gone with Boston. If told that was wrong, I'd have guessed Atlanta. Denied that, Richmond. I'm not sure how long it would've taken for me to get to Annapolis.
The FJ note confuses me. The system wouldn't let you use the word "select" so you wrote us a note using the word "select" to indicate that "select" is the word it wouldn't let you use?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe they weren’t big TV people, but they were all old enough to have watched live every sitcom likely to be a Jeopardy clue so it should have been easy pickings.

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Opus: The t his is fixed and I added the accent mark for the fabric.

Here is Dow making his wager and I'm open to a new interpretation. From VHS to computer I was not able to get it louder.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JkKukS ... sp=sharing

Yeah, that's how the China clue went with Alex ruining it. Stuff happens.

RKS would be the one to explain how some words/phrases can mess with the coding. Somehow certain things make the archive process that something else is going on like some kind of coding command. It may be "to select" is the problem and not just "select"? At that point I just wanted to finish the game. Going to "pick" solved the problem.

People wasting water? Yes, it happens. If you don't like those that don't turn off the tap for teeth brushing then how about those that keep a constant flow of water for rinsing dishes? Spend a little time in a church kitchen after a potluck lunch (March 1st is a distant memory now) and it's a great time to observe a cross-section of various habits.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:18 pm
Here is Dow making his wager and I'm open to a new interpretation. From VHS to computer I was not able to get it louder.
I didn't come here to wimp-mobile?

I'd go with "[unintelligible]".

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:

I didn't come here in a wimp-mobile?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

No doubt that is closer than what I had and I prefer it over [unintelligible], so the change is in. Thanks, guys.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Even better. Closer to what I'm hearing and makes a little more sense.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Concur with "I didn't come here in a wimp-mobile".

Google ngrams for "wimp-mobile": none found

I fixed the "select"/"pick" issue in that FJ!... can I get some e-mail or DM notification whenever a probable SQL issue like this prevents accurate entry, so that I can go in and manually fix it in the database? (For the uninitiated, this is due to some kind of database hack protection on the server that I have no ability to relax.)

I'm pretty happy that the backend system decided to put "$1,000 if eliminated" as the outcome/prize all three players in this rare triple-zero-in-a-tournament-quarterfinal scenario. Does everybody agree this is adequate or could it be improved upon?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:52 am

If you didn't know who drove the golden spike, a Utah school (Utah, BYU, USU) is as good as any. You probably had to know that Leland Stanford was the man who drove the golden spike to have a shot.
I DID know that and STILL guessed a Utah school.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:21 pm
The fourth one might be more Sunday School intermediate. I actually had to think about it for a second, make sure I had the right patriarch. I suspect this clue would go begging in many games today, possibly after a hilariously wrong neg. "Who is Jesus?" is the gold standard for such negs, but we can't expect to get that lucky every time.
That was the only one I missed. I know Jacob for his ladder and for his wrestling moves, but not for his kids or wife.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:03 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:21 pm
The fourth one might be more Sunday School intermediate. I actually had to think about it for a second, make sure I had the right patriarch. I suspect this clue would go begging in many games today, possibly after a hilariously wrong neg. "Who is Jesus?" is the gold standard for such negs, but we can't expect to get that lucky every time.
That was the only one I missed. I know Jacob for his ladder and for his wrestling moves, but not for his kids or wife.
Jacob gets renamed Israel. His kids are the Sons of Israel. Their descendants become a nation with 12 tribes, each tribe named after one of Jacob's/Israel's sons. You've probably heard of them. Jacob's also the one who labored 7 years (I think) for his Uncle Laban in exchange for getting to marry Laban's daughter Rachel. But on the wedding day Laban tricks him and subs in his older daughter Leah. (It was dark in the tent. She had a veil.) So Jacob has to labor another 7 years to get Rachel, the pretty daughter that he wanted in the first place. This is all kind of karmic payback for that stunt Jacob pulled where he tricked his blind father Isaac by pretending to be Esau, his (Jacob's) brother, so that Isaac gives the inheritance to Jacob instead of to Esau. It may also be significant in this context that Leah was said to have weak or tender eyes. If that refers to poor eyesight, then Jacob gets trick into marrying the woman who can't see well as payback for tricking his blind father.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:12 am

I fixed the "select"/"pick" issue in that FJ!... can I get some e-mail or DM notification whenever a probable SQL issue like this prevents accurate entry, so that I can go in and manually fix it in the database? (For the uninitiated, this is due to some kind of database hack protection on the server that I have no ability to relax.)

I'm pretty happy that the backend system decided to put "$1,000 if eliminated" as the outcome/prize all three players in this rare triple-zero-in-a-tournament-quarterfinal scenario. Does everybody agree this is adequate or could it be improved upon?
I think it's good. At first I didn't like it because it seems like there's no "if" about it. They're eliminated. But then I thought if enough other players score 0, then at least one wildcard spot will go to a $0 player. Is that determined by which player had the highest pre-FJ score? Florence and Pat are tied pre-FJ. So what's the next determinant?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 am
I think it's good. At first I didn't like it because it seems like there's no "if" about it. They're eliminated. But then I thought if enough other players score 0, then at least one wildcard spot will go to a $0 player. Is that determined by which player had the highest pre-FJ score? Florence and Pat are tied pre-FJ. So what's the next determinant?
When the 2016 College Championship had three QF non-winners with $14,400 to fill the last two spots, the #3 space went to the Hannah Norem, who had $7,400 before FJ, leaving the two who had doubled up from $7,200. Kate Laubscher, whose score was $3,200 before DJ, got the last spot, leaving behind Michael Sieja, who had lost $2,000 on the J! DD and finished the round with $2,600. So in the case of this Seniors Tournament, where all six eliminated quarterfinalists finished with $0, if one more player had dropped from below $5,900 to $0 in the QFs, Pat would have had priority because she led Florence at the end of the J! round.

edit: as long as I'm quoting you, I had intended to respond to this post when I first read it but never got around to it:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:41 pm
They really expected anyone to know "The Rudolf Friml operetta that features the 'Song Of The Vagabonds'"? As a MIDDLE ROW clue? What were they thinking? I've never even heard of the guy. Or his operetta. Completely predictable TS.
I've heard of him in exactly one place before that episode was archived: Tom Lehrer's "Wienerschnitzel Waltz" contains the couplet "Your lips were like wine (if you'll pardon the simile), / The music was lovely and quite Rudolf Friml–y."

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:12 am

They were all still eligible for wild cards so the wording is perfect.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/16/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6771

Player pics of Arnold Yellin, Anne Laird and George Soule were posted earlier this summer.

Anne had so many ways she could have won and George got out out the game by the skin of his teeth including a clutch get on DJ30 to break the lock.

Opus: Do not a have drink near your reading device when seeing the incorrect guesses for the FJ! clue.

Imagine the online yelping there would have been for George's spelling being accepted.
Fulfilling a side ask with a requested player pic of 1993 TT champ Fraser Woodford:
Spoiler

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:46 am
Imagine the online yelping there would have been for George's spelling being accepted.
Apropos of that, Google delivers this: https://preacherwin.com/2009/02/04/sams ... the%20word.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:

Opus: Do not a have drink near your reading device when seeing the incorrect guesses for the FJ! clue.
Woohoo!
Spoiler
What did I say was "the gold standard" wrong Bible response just a few posts up? And speak of the devil, we got him thrown in for free as well!

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
J19 POPEYE $400: This name for an army vehicle bay be from the yellow fourth dimensional animal who eat orchids

Ummm... whuh?

George really said "WHO is Denmark?" on DD3? Just checking.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
J19 POPEYE $400: This name for an army vehicle bay be from the yellow fourth dimensional animal who eat orchids

Ummm... whuh?
Not familiar with Eugene the Jeep?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_the_Jeep

(I also changed 'bay' to 'may'. At least, I was going to. Someone beat me to it.))

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:49 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Ummm... whuh?

(I also changed 'bay' to 'may'. At least, I was going to. Someone beat me to it.))
Yes, bay to may done.

For the phrasing my hearing really is going if he said what: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbXLva ... sp=sharing

I've added a note for that clue since there was a suggestion correction for it.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:49 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Ummm... whuh?

So we're sticking with the "animal who eat orchids" part?