New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

Opus...I had the same guess on FJ. In a QF match with that category I am betting zero and hoping my pre-FJ score holds up.

Did Alex mention the fifth WC in QF4? Or in QF5 that you will see tomorrow?

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:29 pm
Opus...I had the same guess on FJ. In a QF match with that category I am betting zero and hoping my pre-FJ score holds up.

Did Alex mention the fifth WC in QF4? Or in QF5 that you will see tomorrow?
After Mary was announced as the semifinal winner Alex then explained about the no-winner QF game in giving assuring remarks about Nancy's and Babs's chances to get a wildcard.

Opus: Yes, double "this" in that DJ1 clue.

Without a doubt jelly beans would have been fine as well for the Reagan clue. For the plural my coin landed on "Bellies" instead of "Bellys".

My scoresheet shows the dancers FJ! clue was a miss for me in 1991 while in 2020 it was a no doubter (of course advantage in having seen the game before) and I would have written the first names. No idea what I guessed in 1991 as I did not write my guesses back then.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I guessed George Balanchine and Maria Tallchief, which is a moral victory in my book.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:07 pm
J25 TRANSPORTATION $400: During the Civil War they were used to direct cannon fire & to report troop movements
Spoiler
Balloons. Alex rules Nancy correct before she can say "hot air balloons". Alex gives it to her but clarifies "they weren't necessarily hot air balloons". Ok, then what were they? What other kind of balloon transportation (note category) was available during the Civil War? Hydrogen? Helium hadn't even been invented back then. :D
Gas/hydrogen mostly.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:01 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:51 pm
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlan ... =192904839

An obituary for a Barbara McClellelan from 2019.

It doesn’t mention Jeopardy, but it does mention her living in Clearwater and the picture resembles the screenshot you posted.
Try "barbara mcclellan jeopardy obit"
Just to clarify for the record here on JBoard, the obituary Mark points to indicates that Babs McClellan died 2003-02-26, not 2019-05-11, as in the obituary for Barbara McLellan (note surname spelling difference) that Bamaman points to. Barbara McLellan does share some resemblance with Babs McClellan and did happen to live in Clearwater, Florida, as Babs McClellan had, but the obituary for McLellan says she grew up in Arkansas and does not indicate that she ever lived in Auburn, New York, which is where Babs McClellan lived in 1965 during the Fleming ToC era. They both married men named John.
McCLELLAN, BARBARA, 74, of Winter Park, FL passed away Feb. 26. She was the first ever champion of the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions in 1965. She enjoyed sailing and painting. She is preceded in death by her husband John. She is survived by her sons, John and his wife, Liz Martineau, and Thomas; daughters, Anne McClellan and her husband John Rosett, Patty Miller and her husband, Jeff; niece, Doree Gerold; and 7 grandchildren. There will be a visitation on Sunday March 2nd from 6-8PM at CAREY HAND COX-PARKER FUNERAL HOME, 1350 W. Fairbanks Ave., Winter Park, FL (407) 647-1942. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Monday March 3rd at 10AM in the chapel at St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church. In lieu of flowers donations may be made to Nashoba Learning Group, 10B Church St., Westford, MA 01886.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in Orlando Sentinel from Mar. 1 to Mar. 2, 2003.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks Robert for the follow-up here and cleaning up Babs's J! bio page.
I added 7/12/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6778

Player pics of Malcolm Post, Bob Olsen & Patricia Miller:
Spoiler
37R is outstanding no matter the event or opponents. Great game by Bob.

With a lot of business to take care of at the end of any QF5 Alex gave no explanation of the zero-out in QF2 and only let Malcolm know he earned one of the FIVE wildcard spots.

No surprise to me at all to check my score sheet and see I missed the FJ! clue in 1991. Today I got 2 of them for a solve and good thing I did not need three as I would have needed more time.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My apologies for not checking the obituary closer.

I got FJ on QF5, went with
Spoiler
Liberia and Egypt. I thought South Africa had gotten kicked out during the apartheid era

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Now that all the Seniors 1991 QFs are in, I notice that the QF1 non-winners don't have "$1,000 if eliminated" under their final scores for some reason. Also, Kay Paul's player profile says she's a quarter-finalist despite her being WC5. (And if/while that's being fixed, I feel like it's also worth mentioning on her page that she was a fifth wild card due to another game in the round having no winner.)

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:38 pm
Now that all the Seniors 1991 QFs are in, I notice that the QF1 non-winners don't have "$1,000 if eliminated" under their final scores for some reason. Also, Kay Paul's player profile says she's a quarter-finalist despite her being WC5. (And if/while that's being fixed, I feel like it's also worth mentioning on her page that she was a fifth wild card due to another game in the round having no winner.)
Done x 3. Thank you.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:18 pm
I added 7/12/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6778
J26, J29, DJ7 all need attention. Deets below.

DD1 was pretty rough with no TOM that I can see. Either you know what marrons glaces are or you don't. Like Bob, I did not. I made the same wrong guess he did. Unless Seniors in 1991 had more cause to know this kind of thing, I'd say that's a clunker of a DD.

Interesting reversal on J9 POT LUCK $300: This slang word for a prison is a corruption of a Spanish word for courtroom, "juzgado"
Spoiler
They were looking for "hoosegow" which was my response. Malcolm caught them off guard with "jug". Good on the judges for being able to research and confirm that in a timely manner in the pre-Internet era. Even with Google I can't find a reputable source that makes this claim. I wonder what reference they used. Even the OED doesn't help here. This is definitely a reversal where I don't fault them for not having the alternative on Alex's card.
J26 THE '60s $100: After about 10 years in power, he was ousted as Soviet leader in 1964
Spoiler
Try spelling your response for extra points
Khrushchev is the correct spelling. You missed it by one h, Mark. I finally learned how to spell the name by just sticking an h in any time that seemed possible.
J29 THE '60s $400 needs a space between the day and the year unless that's the way the clue was onscreen.

DJ7 ISLANDS $600 appears to have "s" where "a" should be.

DJ8 THE OLD WEST $600 - Someone needs to travel back in time and force Wild Bill to correct the spelling of his last name. Mark got it right. It's Wild Bill who's to blame. Bugs me.

Obligatory BIBLE category got saved for last this time. (Note to @Bamaman: Did you notice one of your two favorite books was involved?) I wonder if the contestants saw the one from the previous year and decided to avoid it. They got 4 out of 5--all but the $1000 clue which cost Patricia $1000 for a decent but incorrect guess. From her position in distant third with a wildcard her only hope, she was right to take a swing at it. All the clues were fair though the $400 clue implies something that's not true. Here's a standard gotcha trivia question on the subject.
Spoiler
Methuselah lived to be 969 years old--older than anyone else in the Bible. Who died first, Methuselah or his father?
Spoiler
Methuselah. Enoch lived 365 years and then God took him. He never died.
I got 2 for FJ and my 3rd guess was also correct. Would not have guessed the 4th, the one none of the contestants named.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/15/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6779

Player pics of Malcolm Post, Lou Pryor and Babs McClellan have been posted recently.

Alex was clearly favoring Babs. Was Alex thinking Lou was perhaps thinking of Cecil B. in BALLET?

I did a reverse on the FJ! clue from the previous game with old miss/new get as I did not know (well, did not bother to guess) today in 2020 while my score sheet indicates I got it right in 1991.

Guess I'm not done for the day and I'll look over Opus' post now.

Edited to add: Thanks Opus, rounds cleaned up.

booboo9921
Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

I have a question regarding the 4th quarterfinal of the 1994 seniors tournament. (I only found this out because I actually looked on the archive earlier.) One of the players was from New Rochelle NY, and he was an actor, his name is Bob Mcgrath. Does anyone happen to know if it's the same Bob Mcgrath that I think it is?) (Unfortunately there are no videos of that episode anywhere online that I know of, so I cannot find out for myself.)

booboo9921
Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

booboo9921 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:22 pm
I have a question regarding the 4th quarterfinal of the 1994 seniors tournament. (I only found this out because I actually looked on the archive earlier.) One of the players was from New Rochelle NY, and he was an actor, his name is Bob Mcgrath. Does anyone happen to know if it's the same Bob Mcgrath that I think it is?) (Unfortunately there are no videos of that episode anywhere online that I know of, so I cannot find out for myself.) (and yes, if it is indeed him, he would have been old enough to be eligible for it.)

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

booboo9921 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:22 pm
I have a question regarding the 4th quarterfinal of the 1994 seniors tournament. (I only found this out because I actually looked on the archive earlier.) One of the players was from New Rochelle NY, and he was an actor, his name is Bob Mcgrath. Does anyone happen to know if it's the same Bob Mcgrath that I think it is?) (Unfortunately there are no videos of that episode anywhere online that I know of, so I cannot find out for myself.)
The last few years I've been including player pics along with the post for a new game entered.

Does this help? viewtopic.php?p=334881#p334881

booboo9921
Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

actually I only asked that because for whatever reason his picture is NOT showing up on his page in the archive, it IS supposed to though, correct?

booboo9921
Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

I am not sure if any of you would recognize the FULL name, BUT I will be completely shocked if any of you who are around 50 years of age or younger, not remember the face of the Bob Mcgrath that I am talking about. I will not tell you where you would remember him from, BUT I will give you a hint, a former champ taped a guest appearance for an episode of the 2005 season of the show that the BM I am talking about is best known for as part of his nationwide media tour following his final regular Jeopardyy appearance, (I did NOT actually see the episode of this show when it aired but it WAS available on the website.)

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

booboo9921 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 pm
actually I only asked that because for whatever reason his picture is NOT showing up on his page in the archive, it IS supposed to though, correct?
Not necessarily.

It's not the Sesame Street guy though.

booboo9921
Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

I know that now, however, I did not when I posted the comment earlier, how did you figure out I meant Bob from Sesame Street? (Assuming you didn't from the start?)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You can delete your post if nobody has made another post in that thread. Just click on the x in the top right hand corner.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

booboo9921 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:03 pm
I know that now, however, I did not when I posted the comment earlier, how did you figure out I meant Bob from Sesame Street? (Assuming you didn't from the start?)
I know who Bob McGrath is.