New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Robert K S wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:01 pm
Updating the prizes list, and it looks like sometime in 2020, http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=320 transformed from a skeleton for 1992 College Championship final game 1 into 1994 Teen Tournament semifinal game 3? And then 1992 College Championship final game 1 got entered as http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6723?
Those two got switched somehow when Mark Barrett fully archived those two episodes this summer.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

With the 1993 College Championship, did all the participants, not just the finalists, get Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune video games for the Super NES and Sega Genesis + Jeopardy! '92 home game?

Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Robert K S wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:32 pm
With the 1993 College Championship, did all the participants, not just the finalists, get Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune video games for the Super NES and Sega Genesis + Jeopardy! '92 home game?
Yes, all contestants got those.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to a heads up from kingskip, I added 4/15/97: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6817

Player pics of Ed McCorduck, Michael Sweeney & Sue Keller:
Spoiler
I added a line for Ed winning big and small in other trivia things. Let me know if anything needs adjustment.

This is the book Ed mentioned he was working on:

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Am ... ks&sr=1-13

I guess Alex knew spring had sprung with that ensemble?
Spoiler

That sucks when someone trails by 900 and the round ends before the $1000 clue can be played although as much Ed's fault as anyone's as he was not the fastest clue selector.

So many times the person in 2nd goes hog wild in the FJ! round. This time it would have paid off for Ed.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:36 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:01 pm
Updating the prizes list, and it looks like sometime in 2020, http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=320 transformed from a skeleton for 1992 College Championship final game 1 into 1994 Teen Tournament semifinal game 3? And then 1992 College Championship final game 1 got entered as http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6723?
Those two got switched somehow when Mark Barrett fully archived those two episodes this summer.
Guilty as charged. I did the entire 1992 F1 without noticing/recalling that the skeleton was in for it. Not knowing how to rectify the problem, my solution was keeping that game with the higher number and doing another game to replace the id=320.

jlgarfield
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jlgarfield »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Thanks to a heads up from kingskip, I added 4/15/97: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6817

Spoiler
I added a line for Ed winning big and small in other trivia things. Let me know if anything needs adjustment.

Spoiler

That sucks when someone trails by 900 and the round ends before the $1000 clue can be played although as much Ed's fault as anyone's as he was not the fastest clue selector.

So many times the person in 2nd goes hog wild in the FJ! round. This time it would have paid off for Ed.
That reminds me: I remember seeing a brief video of Ed's interview mentioning this book circa 2005, just before YouTube.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:

In four games, Sue never covered the person behind her in FJ, and no one behind her ever took advantage (and her first game was a Monday, so surely one of her future opponents ought to have noticed!). It took someone ahead of her getting FJ right (but also not covering her) to take her down.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:42 pm
I added 12/28/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6810
Erratum: J30 ANIMALS $500 - Babboon has one b too many. Baboon.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:

In four games, Sue never covered the person behind her in FJ, and no one behind her ever took advantage (and her first game was a Monday, so surely one of her future opponents ought to have noticed!). It took someone ahead of her getting FJ right (but also not covering her) to take her down.
I got a chuckle from seeing her wager in her last game given what the correct FJ question was and that she got it wrong.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:43 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:42 pm
I added 12/28/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6810
Erratum: J30 ANIMALS $500 - Babboon has one b too many. Baboon.
Done and thanks. Sometimes when a spelling error comes up I put the wrong word into the search box to see if the archive has other instances of the same mistake. Yay, no other ones to fix in this particular case.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thanks to a heads up from kingskip, I added 4/15/97: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6818

Spoiler

Spoiler

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The missing games roster for S13 is now down to 19.1.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:32 am
I added 7/17/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6802
Anne went right to the dreaded OPERA category, an unusual move that may suggest confidence in the subject. She got the first one right and went back for more. Unfortunately for Anne's performance in the category, the fat lady had already sung. The other two contestants divided the remaining four clues--two apiece. This was an aggressively typical Jeopardy! opera category, the kind requiring little actual opera knowledge. I.e.

$100 King associated with Jane Seymour, "Anna Bolena", and losing heads
$200 Gershwin opera = (basic opera knowledge of what this pavlovs to is needed)
$300 Writer of "The Little Match Girl" with "Danish" TOM
$400 Greek-American soprano (knowledge of the most famous female opera singer for J! purposes)
$500 Henry Fielding novel
Spoiler
$100 Henry VIII
$200 Porgy and Bess
$300 Hans Christian Andersen
$400 Maria Callas
$500 Tom Jones. Possible neg attractor (but not bait) with Joseph Andrews. I'd be hesitant to ring in since this is the hardest clue and they might go that route. Could result in a neg for me plus a gift to an opponent. The point is that zero opera knowledge was required here. Either that or such extensive opera knowledge that you know Francois-Andre Philidor wrote an opera based on Tom Jones. I'd wager most opera buffs don't even recognize the composer let alone his works.
Took a guess on FJ and got it right.

Is there a flat rate for the quarterfinal winners or did Susan have the opportunity to win more with a bolder DD2 wager? Not that she necessarily should have been bolder there--even in a regular game, but especially in a game with wildcard possibilities.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:57 pm
Is there a flat rate for the quarterfinal winners or did Susan have the opportunity to win more with a bolder DD2 wager?
Flat $5,000 for nonwinning semifinalists.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:39 pm
I added 7/18/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6803

https://archive.org/details/1995-07-18-chat-dd-3

For opus the segment also has DD3 so that he can play along.

Good FJ! clue that could play anywhere in 2020/2021 and not just Seniors in 1995.
No chance on DD3. The music was familiar but I couldn't put a title to it. The interviews were fun, especially Diane's. She started out a little slow but had a great finish.

Alex was thrown off by Diane's unexpected but correct initial response to J23 RHYME TIME $300: A nervous dealer who buys stolen goods
Spoiler
She says "tenser fencer" which Alex negs. She then corrects to "tense fence" and Alex says "All right, we'll give it to you." It's unclear if they are crediting her second response--which wouldn't be kosher since he already negged her--or her first, which should definitely be accepted. At least I can't think of a reason it shouldn't be. Either way I'm glad this got cleared up without anyone getting rebound bucks which they get to keep even after a reversal. I hate when that happens.
Shoulda been able to get FJ but didn't think hard enough before making a dumb guess.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Opus:
Spoiler
Tenser fencer would be correct only if the answer was “a more nervous dealer who buys stolen goods”. Then her question would be correct because it was in the comparative form.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:48 pm
Opus:
Spoiler
Tenser fencer would be correct only if the answer was “a more nervous dealer who buys stolen goods”. Then her question would be correct because it was in the comparative form.
Responses don't have to be perfectly parallel to the clues; besides which, anyone who is [adjective] to any degree is always more [adjective] than someone who isn't [adjective] at all.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:48 pm
Opus:
Spoiler
Responses don't have to be perfectly parallel to the clues; besides which, anyone who is [adjective] to any degree is always more [adjective] than someone who isn't [adjective] at all.
Those are the lines I was thinking along. Bamaman, your point is well taken though, and I imagine if they'd ruled against her it would have been for reasons like the one you suggested. For my part, I felt that at worst this was one of those cases where the contestant's response was not as good as the expected response but still met the requirements of the clue. Someone who is comparatively [adjective] is necessarily [adjective]. I'd also argue that
Spoiler
Due to the nature of the job, a fence is always a little bit tense. Most of them are able to maintain a calm exterior. If you meet a nervous one, he's tenser than your average fencer.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:17 pm
I added 7/19/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6804

Yeah, I don't think that FJ! clue goes 3/3 in 2020. 1995 now becomes the most recent time for her appearance.

That completes Seniors Tournament 1995-A. I'll start working on B tomorrow although I've already discovered I don't have the first game. I must have been MNFed.
MNFed just sounds obscene. I know what it means, but it still sounds obscene. Appropriately enough, I suppose, at least for those of us who would rather watch Jeopardy!.

Not surprised that clues about this FJ person were retired after 1995. This definitely belongs to the generation before ours and we're getting up there in years. Even back then I doubt it would have gone 3/3 in a regular game. For the Seniors, I'm sure it was a gimme. I got it because of a Stan Freberg take-off on one of my dad's LPs.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:04 pm
I added 12/19/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6805

For WOMEN POETS: Think of 5 before seeing the clues and see how many you get. Any regular J! viewer should/could get 3 and all 5 is easily within the realm of possibility.
Ok, here are my precalls for WOMEN POETS along with notes on which showed up:
Spoiler
Emily Dickinson ($400 clue)
Elizabeth "Mark" Barrett Browning ($200 clue)
Emma Lazarus ($800)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Christina Georgina Rossetti

Alternates: Elizabeth Bishop, Adrienne Rich, Margaret Atwood, Denise Levertov, Dorothy Parker, Sylvia Plath ($600 DD3), Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings

So I caught 3 as Mark suggested, plus 1 as an alternate. I ran the category as did (and should have) the contestants, but I did forget to precall the $1000 Lesbosian
Spoiler
Sappho!
Ran COMPOSERS. That's pretty much the Jeopardy!-est set of composer clues ever. I rolled my eyes at J3 COMPOSERS $300: In 1907 Hungarian Bela Bartok was appointed professor of piano at this capital's academy of music
Spoiler
Budapest. Really? You thought you had to specify that Bartok was Hungarian to make this clue gettable? Take that word out and this a good middle-row clue. With it, the clue's a joke.
From COMPOSERS we immediately went to SPORTS which lies at the other end of my knowledge spectrum. I clammed for the whole category but would've gotten two of them if forced to guess:
Spoiler
Wilt Chamberlain and Jake LaMotta. Would've guessed Gran Prix on the $100 clue. :oops: No guess for the Norwegian skater or the Bears running back. Both names are familiar to me.
Our Seniors couldn't get the $100 "'60s gothic vampire soap" clue? What, they don't keep up with current TV? :lol:
Spoiler
Dark Shadows
In spite of that embarrassing TS, they stuck with it for three more clues, getting the Baywatch star, TS-ing the soap that started with three families, and a neg followed by a get for Joan Crawford's daughter. They then saved the $500 clue for the end of the round when Grace was able to come up with the "1960s prime time title hometown of the Harringtons & the MacKenzies". I got the easy clue they all missed as well as the Baywatch star.
Spoiler
David Hasselhoff, All My Children, Christina (not, as David guessed, Joan) Crawford, Peyton Place
Last czar of Russia is a reliable J! chestnut. So don't be like Opus, guys. Commit it to memory. I don't know why I'm always caught flatfooted when some form of this clue surfaces. Maybe this time's the charm?
Spoiler
Nicholas II
Weird misuse of "this" on DJ27 DANCE $400: This country line dance was inspired by a 1992 Billy Ray Cyrus hit
Judging by the accepted response, they really wanted the Billy Ray Cyrus hit.
Spoiler
Achy Breaky Heart I spent my time trying and failing to come up with the name of a country line dance, which is what the clue was requesting. Had they put the "this" in the appropriate place, I'd have picked up the $400, no trouble.
No luck for the contestants on FJ with three different desperation guesses. I'm on the writers' side this time. I didn't expect this clue to go that poorly. Seems like a reasonable quarterfinal FJ, but maybe too hard? NHNF for Kay who had no shot at a wildcard and for David who still won the game. But for Grace it's a woulda coulda shoulda. If she'd only guessed right. If she'd only stood pat with her $9300 (which would've been a reasonable thing to do). Either way, she'd have advanced. That said, all three contestants could have made better guesses.
Spoiler
Kay guessed Ecuador which, as every trivia buff should know, means "equator". Knowing this is enough to rule it out but the knowledge should also set off alarms since it reminds us that Ecuador is not entirely in the Southern Hemisphere.

Grace guessed "Surinam", probably focusing on the "Sur". Not bad from that angle, but Suriname is one of the three countries in South America that is completely in the Northern Hemisphere. The other two are...
Spoiler
Guyana and Venezuela. You could also make an argument for France if you're that kind of person.
David guessed Argentina which at least comes from the Latin--the Latin for silver! That's another trivia chestnut.
For me, the FJ was easy peasy because I know Latin. If you don't, and don't happen to know the trivium, there are a couple of adjacent bits of knowledge that might help.
Spoiler
Australopithecus means "southern ape". Aurora Australis are the southern lights.