New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Michael Pannoni has posted the complete May 8, 1987 episode (the incomplete portion in the Archive starts at the 48:35 mark) on Dailymotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7wm9iq

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11390
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:34 pm
Michael Pannoni has posted the complete May 8, 1987 episode (the incomplete portion in the Archive starts at the 48:35 mark) on Dailymotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7wm9iq
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6067

All cleaned up. Thanks and thanks. Perhaps that FJ! clue was harder in 1987? It sure seemed easy in 2020.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7336
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:34 pm
Michael Pannoni has posted the complete May 8, 1987 episode (the incomplete portion in the Archive starts at the 48:35 mark) on Dailymotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7wm9iq
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6067

All cleaned up. Thanks and thanks. Perhaps that FJ! clue was harder in 1987? It sure seemed easy in 2020.
(Tim got that wrong, btw)

I dunno, I think plenty of contestants have been stumped by the existence of that. I'm just not sure how to search it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11390
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:51 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:34 pm
Michael Pannoni has posted the complete May 8, 1987 episode (the incomplete portion in the Archive starts at the 48:35 mark) on Dailymotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7wm9iq
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6067

All cleaned up. Thanks and thanks. Perhaps that FJ! clue was harder in 1987? It sure seemed easy in 2020.
(Tim got that wrong, btw)

I dunno, I think plenty of contestants have been stumped by the existence of that. I'm just not sure how to search it...
Tim green to red, thanks.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2143
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This ITV (UK) Jeopardy ep from 1993 has a very interesting occurrence at about 4:30 in the video, but you have to watch it straight through to see what I mean. As far as I know, this has never happened on the American version of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFB9vAtaODs

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7336
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 pm
This ITV (UK) Jeopardy ep from 1993 has a very interesting occurrence at about 4:30 in the video, but you have to watch it straight through to see what I mean. As far as I know, this has never happened on the American version of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFB9vAtaODs
I'd venture to say it never has and never will
Spoiler
unless and until they change the rules for the first round, at least
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11390
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:21 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 pm
This ITV (UK) Jeopardy ep from 1993 has a very interesting occurrence at about 4:30 in the video, but you have to watch it straight through to see what I mean. As far as I know, this has never happened on the American version of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFB9vAtaODs
I'd venture to say it never has and never will
Spoiler
unless and until they change the rules for the first round, at least
Sometimes they are cheek by jowl. That was fun to see, thanks.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10137
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

Do they have six DDs in DJ?

jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jeffwolfe »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 pm
This ITV (UK) Jeopardy ep from 1993 has a very interesting occurrence at about 4:30 in the video, but you have to watch it straight through to see what I mean. As far as I know, this has never happened on the American version of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFB9vAtaODs
Two things I'd venture to say you'd never see.
Spoiler
Two Daily Doubles in the same column and two Daily Doubles in the Jeopardy! round. There was a third Daily Double at 5:45. Since their format is played for points instead of money, it's less important to restrict the number of Daily Doubles. And since there are more of them, allowing multiple per column seems not entirely out of line. I wonder what their rules were for number and placement of Daily Doubles.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4783
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jeff6286 »

jeffwolfe wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:26 pm
I wonder what their rules were for number and placement of Daily Doubles.
Wiki says there were 3 in each round, until the 1995 version of the show went to the same standard as the U.S. version. Previously the show ran 1983-84, and 1990-93.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2143
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:36 pm
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:26 pm
I wonder what their rules were for number and placement of Daily Doubles.
Wiki says there were 3 in each round, until the 1995 version of the show went to the same standard as the U.S. version. Previously the show ran 1983-84, and 1990-93.
Yes, it was three in both rounds in every game I've seen. They were always Audio or Video Daily Doubles, too.

Related, I also once saw a game where they ran through the game material so quickly that the host went back to the contestants for a second chat session, before they got to Final Jeopardy. That would be my nightmare scenario.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:56 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:36 pm
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:26 pm
I wonder what their rules were for number and placement of Daily Doubles.
Wiki says there were 3 in each round, until the 1995 version of the show went to the same standard as the U.S. version. Previously the show ran 1983-84, and 1990-93.
Yes, it was three in both rounds in every game I've seen. They were always Audio or Video Daily Doubles, too.

Related, I also once saw a game where they ran through the game material so quickly that the host went back to the contestants for a second chat session, before they got to Final Jeopardy. That would be my nightmare scenario.
I'd love to see what James Holzhauer could do in a game with six Daily Doubles....

User avatar
jlgarfield
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:06 pm
Location: Seattle area

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by jlgarfield »

jeffwolfe wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:26 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 pm
This ITV (UK) Jeopardy ep from 1993 has a very interesting occurrence at about 4:30 in the video, but you have to watch it straight through to see what I mean. As far as I know, this has never happened on the American version of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFB9vAtaODs
Two things I'd venture to say you'd never see.
Spoiler
Two Daily Doubles in the same column and two Daily Doubles in the Jeopardy! round. There was a third Daily Double at 5:45. Since their format is played for points instead of money, it's less important to restrict the number of Daily Doubles. And since there are more of them, allowing multiple per column seems not entirely out of line. I wonder what their rules were for number and placement of Daily Doubles.
Spoiler
The final series of the 1990-93 ITV run had players play for pounds sterling.

kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by kingskip »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 pm
Here is a better post than my two previous ones.

Thanks to kingskip I added: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6836

Player pics of Jonathan Silbert, Sheryl Read, and Linda Zusman:
Spoiler
Image
Image
Image
I did not expect to have to deal with 7 media clues.

Applause to anyone who picks up this piece of trash: https://archive.org/details/1998-10-07-j-30

Alex read the 222 TV show as 2-2-2 while I’ve always heard it/said as 2-22. 229 for Season 15 with one to go. As of this post I do not have it. If it turns up, great.
I heard back from Jonathan Silbert and he mentioned the archive shows him as living in Milford, CT but said it should be Gulford, CT if you can fix that.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11390
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

kingskip wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 pm
Here is a better post than my two previous ones.

Thanks to kingskip I added: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6836

Player pics of Jonathan Silbert, Sheryl Read, and Linda Zusman:
Spoiler
Image
Image
Image
I did not expect to have to deal with 7 media clues.

Applause to anyone who picks up this piece of trash: https://archive.org/details/1998-10-07-j-30

Alex read the 222 TV show as 2-2-2 while I’ve always heard it/said as 2-22. 229 for Season 15 with one to go. As of this post I do not have it. If it turns up, great.
I heard back from Jonathan Silbert and he mentioned the archive shows him as living in Milford, CT but said it should be Gulford, CT if you can fix that.
Done, that's easy to do. Thanks. We do want the archive as accurate as possible.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2143
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Finally finished January 14, 1992, Christine Boyett-Thompson vs John Ferraro vs Liz MacGillicuddy-Lucas.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6358

John correctly SPELLed THE LAST NAME of the author of "The Prince" for $500, but 7 years later the judges would accept an alternate spelling in this game.

Liz started DJ! on CAPTAIN COOK in honor of her Australian mother, and it netted her the Daily Double.

Clues of the game will be STATE CAPITALS for $800 and $1000, for a pair of facts that don't appear in Steven Ferrill's Game Show Trivia book (at least not the 5th edition I have at hand here, I far as I could see.)
$800: Sky Harbor International Airport is located in this southwestern capital
Spoiler
What is Phoenix, Arizona? Jeopardy has asked this both ways, asking for the airport and the city.
$1000: Fort Benjamin Harrison, just northeast of this midwest capital, houses the U.S. Army Finance Center
Spoiler
What is Indianapolis? Game Show Trivia links Benjamin Harrison to Ohio, but Jeopardy has linked both him and William Henry Harrison to Indiana numerous times. (Also, if you abbreviate you search of the J-Archive to just Indiana and Harrison, you get a bunch of movie clues you weren't expecting but probably should have been.
Christine took the lead on the last DD, with a few clues left to play. I guessed the OLD GLORY for $800 clue correctly, but is there a better way to get it than "That just feels about right"?
When Flag Day was made a national holiday, the flag had this many stars
Spoiler
What is 48?
Unfortunately for Christine, she was the lone miss on FJ!, giving John the win. I had to google to see if the name should be properly given with or without the "S" at the end; contestants gave it both ways.

One more India game to go for this tape, but I think I have to convert it to digital first. Have a good weekend.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11390
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:43 pm
Finally finished January 14, 1992, Christine Boyett-Thompson vs John Ferraro vs Liz MacGillicuddy-Lucas.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6358

John correctly SPELLed THE LAST NAME of the author of "The Prince" for $500, but 7 years later the judges would accept an alternate spelling in this game.

Liz started DJ! on CAPTAIN COOK in honor of her Australian mother, and it netted her the Daily Double.

Clues of the game will be STATE CAPITALS for $800 and $1000, for a pair of facts that don't appear in Steven Ferrill's Game Show Trivia book (at least not the 5th edition I have at hand here, I far as I could see.)
$800: Sky Harbor International Airport is located in this southwestern capital
Spoiler
What is Phoenix, Arizona? Jeopardy has asked this both ways, asking for the airport and the city.
$1000: Fort Benjamin Harrison, just northeast of this midwest capital, houses the U.S. Army Finance Center
Spoiler
What is Indianapolis? Game Show Trivia links Benjamin Harrison to Ohio, but Jeopardy has linked both him and William Henry Harrison to Indiana numerous times. (Also, if you abbreviate you search of the J-Archive to just Indiana and Harrison, you get a bunch of movie clues you weren't expecting but probably should have been.
Christine took the lead on the last DD, with a few clues left to play. I guessed the OLD GLORY for $800 clue correctly, but is there a better way to get it than "That just feels about right"?
When Flag Day was made a national holiday, the flag had this many stars
Spoiler
What is 48?
Unfortunately for Christine, she was the lone miss on FJ!, giving John the win. I had to google to see if the name should be properly given with or without the "S" at the end; contestants gave it both ways.

One more India game to go for this tape, but I think I have to convert it to digital first. Have a good weekend.
Myron's work gets the archive ticker past 405,000 clues. Which clue? Hope he knows.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2143
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:37 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:43 pm
Finally finished January 14, 1992, Christine Boyett-Thompson vs John Ferraro vs Liz MacGillicuddy-Lucas.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6358

John correctly SPELLed THE LAST NAME of the author of "The Prince" for $500, but 7 years later the judges would accept an alternate spelling in this game.

Liz started DJ! on CAPTAIN COOK in honor of her Australian mother, and it netted her the Daily Double.

Clues of the game will be STATE CAPITALS for $800 and $1000, for a pair of facts that don't appear in Steven Ferrill's Game Show Trivia book (at least not the 5th edition I have at hand here, I far as I could see.)
$800: Sky Harbor International Airport is located in this southwestern capital
Spoiler
What is Phoenix, Arizona? Jeopardy has asked this both ways, asking for the airport and the city.
$1000: Fort Benjamin Harrison, just northeast of this midwest capital, houses the U.S. Army Finance Center
Spoiler
What is Indianapolis? Game Show Trivia links Benjamin Harrison to Ohio, but Jeopardy has linked both him and William Henry Harrison to Indiana numerous times. (Also, if you abbreviate you search of the J-Archive to just Indiana and Harrison, you get a bunch of movie clues you weren't expecting but probably should have been.
Christine took the lead on the last DD, with a few clues left to play. I guessed the OLD GLORY for $800 clue correctly, but is there a better way to get it than "That just feels about right"?
When Flag Day was made a national holiday, the flag had this many stars
Spoiler
What is 48?
Unfortunately for Christine, she was the lone miss on FJ!, giving John the win. I had to google to see if the name should be properly given with or without the "S" at the end; contestants gave it both ways.

One more India game to go for this tape, but I think I have to convert it to digital first. Have a good weekend.
Myron's work gets the archive ticker past 405,000 clues. Which clue? Hope he knows.
Gonna have to be OLD GLORY for $600, unless someone snuck some other clues in the meantime.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10137
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

The link for the other game didn’t work for me.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:50 pm
The link for the other game didn’t work for me.
It needs a colon after the http. It's 1999 ToC final 1.

Post Reply