TD 148...... 1960s music quiz

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

TD 148...... 1960s music quiz

Post by RandyG »

Welcome to Think Different #148, a.k.a. TD148, the quiz that asks and answers the question: What do British Invasion, Psychedelic, Bubble gum, Heavy metal, Soul, Surf, Folk-rock, County-rock and Girl groups have in common? Why they're all pop music genres that either got their start or fully matured in the 1960s, of course. And so, let's watusi our way into a 1960s music quiz mash. How low can you go?

ImageImage

Questions to follow, but first:

The basic rules of TD 148:
1. Each of the 12 questions has several correct answers. Your goal is to supply the least popular correct answer to each question.
2. If your answer on a given question is correct, your score is the number of people (including yourself) who gave that same answer.
3. An incorrect answer is given the score of the most popular correct response, a.k.a. the "sheep", + 4
4. Lowest cumulative score wins.
5. You may DROP one question for a score of zero by answering with 'DROP'
6. You may WILD CARD one question by answering 'WC'. Wild Card is automatically a correct answer to every question. Your score will be the number of people (including yourself) who answered WC for that question.
7. Send your answers to me by private message (PM.) PLEASE, DO NOT POST your answers in this thread nor post any comment that may give away answers. In case I need you to clarify something, do not check your answers until I've acknowledged that I received your submission.
8. Submissions will be due by 12:00PM (noon) PDT on Wednesday, April 25.
9. PM me If you need a clarification. If the issue seems relevant for the other players, I will post a reply on the thread.
10. Ties in the final scores will be broken based on the EXTRA CREDIT question at the end of the quiz.
11. Please, NO OUTSIDE RESEARCH, no books, Wikipedia, Googling or asking friends. You have a week to ponder the questions, but consult only your own gray matter.
12. Comments are welcome and appreciated, but please include them after your answer set.

Things to take into account as you tackle the quiz:
1. Breath easy: you do not have to know what records went to #1 on Billboard.
2. Top 40 became a standard format for 1960s pop radio. Although Billboard charted the Top 100 weekly, any single that was moderately successful made the Top 40 at some point, or came pretty close. A single considered a real hit made the Top 10 (or so) at some point.
3a. So that you don't have to agonize whether a 50 year-old record actually made the Top 40, if the question asks about Top 40 (or alternatively Top 10), as long as your answer came close to hitting the range, e.g. #49, then it will count as correct. Also.....
3b. The same with year of release. Since songs from 1958 are closer in style to 1960 songs than 1965 songs are (and an analogous case at the end of the decade), a song that hit the charts in the range 1960s +/- 2 yrs, i.e. 1958-1971, will be considered 1960s.
4. The number of correct answers is in parentheses following the question. In some cases, it's pretty darn difficult to find all the correct answers, so if you see (16+), that means there are at least 16 correct answers.
5. Consider song, single and record to all mean the same thing.
Last edited by RandyG on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyG

Re: TD 148...... 1960s music quiz

Post by RandyG »

Participants

Roadgeek Adam
gamawire
Volante
econgator
Creed Bratton
Fleeboy
soxfan99
earendel
Doug527
10. MarkBarrett

Turd Ferguson
barandall800
HugoZ
Magna
Peggles
billy pilgrim
Vanya
gusmahler (from 2+2 forum)
Booker Woodfox (2+2)
20. aaronk56 (2+2)

Paucle
crazymatt1
sickofants (2+2)
buffalocell
Jackie (fb)
Rackme32
mithokie
Dawn (fb)
Spaceman Spiff
30. eyebooger

plubius (2+2)
Woof
sherder
DrOldSchool (2+2)
vixticator (2+2)
le frère de Paucle
Woppy T
cbec
gloriaclemente
40. tagNV

jkbrat
TreehugginCowgirl
dhkendall
DJDaveMick
kioshk (2+2)
jtb34
teapot37
Johnblue
Lefty
50. cheezguyty

spell4yr
xxaaaxx
Budphrey
Rex Kramer
bpmod
BoK
Bamaman
mennoknight
Austin Powers
60. bomtr

fowlerism
reddpen
plasticene
jeff6286
nyc999 (2+2)
cool_hand
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Closed
Last edited by RandyG on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 39 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Questions......

1. Like a supreme rolling stone. Oh, mama! Name someone who was a member at some point in the 1960s (+/- 2yrs) of The Supremes, The Rolling Stones or The Mamas and the Papas. (16)

2. Pictures of matchstick men? Name one of the groups, duets or solo performers pictured below. (Answer with the name only, please; you don't need to associate with a particular picture.) If the pic doesn't appear: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/6934 ... 91e8_b.jpg

ImageImage

3. It's only words, and words are all I have...... Each of the following lyrics is the start of a notable 1960s song. The song title appears in the lyric, but here it's been blanked out. Name one of these songs. (Answer with title only.)

(a) Tonight you're mine completely; you give your love so sweetly. Tonight the light of love is in your eyes, but _________________
(b) ____________ my love has come along, my lonely days are over and life is like a song
(c) __________ is the word I use to describe all the feeling that I have hiding here for you inside.
(d) ___________, how I love him; he's got something that I can't resist. But he doesn't even know that I exist.
(e) ___________________ if we were older and we wouldn't have to wait so long?
(f) Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw. Had two big horns and a wooly jaw. ___________, __________
(g) Who wants to buy ______________? She took it off her finger, now it doesn't mean a thing
(h) ____________ in love with you, would you promise to be true and help me understand?
(i) There could never be a _________________, for nobody could paint a dream
(j) Take the ___________________ and I'll meet you at the station. You can be here by four-thirty 'cause I made your reservation.
(k) The moment I wake up, before I put on my makeup, _________________ for you
(l) Though we gotta say goodbye for the summer, darling I promise you this: I'll send you all my love every day in a letter ____________________.
(m) As the snow flies, on a cold and gray Chicago mornin' a poor little baby child is born _______________

4. Girls, you'll all be women soon. The term "Girl groups" emerged in the late 1950s to describe groups of young female singers (and occasionally female groups with a token male backup) who were often teamed with top music producers (e.g., Phil Spector) and songwriters (e.g., Carole King.) These teams created hit singles that generally featured glossy production values and backing by top studio musicians. The hey day of the girl groups lasted until roughly the mid-60s. Name a girl group with at least 3 members that hit the Top 10 (or so) in the period 1958-1965 (or so.) (16+)

5. Can you hear these through the grapevine? The video below contains the opening bars to thirteen 1960s songs of varying noteworthiness. All charted Top 40, most charted Top 10. Name one of these songs. (Answer with title only.) If the video doesn't appear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQllLhSlQE

ImageImage

6. 1-2-3? No, only one, but that's still one more than any of us had. Name the "One-hit Wonder"* who became best known for one of the following hit songs in the 1960s (+/- 2 yrs.) (Answer with performer or group only.)

(a) Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
(b) Spirit in the Sky
(c) 96 Tears
(d) Eve of Destruction
(e) In the Year 2525
(f) Harper Valley P.T.A.
(g) Elusive Butterfly
(h) For What It's Worth (Stop, Hey What's That Sound?)
(i) Angel of the Morning
(j) Israelites
(k) Goldfinger
(l) Get Together

* The definition of "one-hit wonder" differs from source to source, but take it to mean a group or solo performer who had one notable, often huge, hit, but barely made the charts, if at all, either before or after.

7. Don't think twice about this: Name a solo performer or group who charted Top 40 (or so) in the 1960s (+/- 2 yrs) with a song written or co-written by Bob Dylan. (10+)

8. Leader of the pack? All of the following made a name for themselves in 1960s pop music as the lead singer in a very succesful group. All but one sang lead on several Top 10 (or so) singles with these groups. Name one of these groups. (Answer with group name only.)

(a) Janis Joplin
(b) Curtis Mayfield
(c) Roger McGuinn
(d) Brian Wilson
(e) Ray Davies
(f) Grace Slick
(g) Howard Kaylan
(h) Levi Stubbs
(i) Anthony Gourdine
(j) John Sebastian
(k) Felix Cavaliere
(l) Gerry Marsden
(m) Peter Noone

9. It's a family affair. Name a group or duet that hit the Top 10 (or so) in the 1960s (+/- 2 yrs) that was composed of only immediate family members, i.e. siblings, spouses, parent(s) and/or children. The group/duet may have been an ongoing concern or merely a collaboration for specific projects. (16+)

10. People, people who need people.... According to the 2010 U.S. Census, 26 cities have a population of 600,000 or greater. (Denver is #26 at 600,158.) Name a Top 40 (or so) 1960s (+/- 2 yrs) song that has a Top-26-or-so-by-population U.S. city in its title. (FYI: there are no Canadian cities of comparable size that satisfy the charting requirement.) (21+)

11. Soul survivors? Soul music was a genre that came into its own in the 1960s, splitting into various sub-genres known as Blue-eyed, British, Philadelphia, Memphis, New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit and others. Name a 1960s (+/- 2 yrs) Top 40 (or so) song that has the word "soul" or a word based on the root "soul" in its title. (17+)

12. Spanish flea? Name a 1960s (+/- 2 yrs) Top 40 (or so) single that featured at least one verse sung in a real language other than English. A verse is more than just a few words or a sentence. Nonsense lyrics and made-up languages do not count. Hint: Native languages of 5 continents are represented on the list. (20+)

Extra credit: February 9, 1964..... The Beatles appear for the first time on The Ed Sullivan Show, attracting a then U.S. television record of 73 million viewers. Name the 5 songs that The Beatles performed live that night. One point off for each one you correctly name (plus a -2 bonus if you name at least 4 of them.) You can guess up to 5 songs with no point penalty for incorrects, however your record on this question will break ties: first on having more correct answers, then if necessary, on having fewer incorrect.
Last edited by RandyG on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Corrections, clarifications & miscellaneous

Q12. Reiterating that a verse in a song must be "more than just a few words or a sentence" in a language other than English, even if those words or sentence are the entirety of the lyrics.
Last edited by RandyG on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just to be clear, in all of the ones where we have to pick from a list, in none of them do we need to specify which letter choice we are going with?
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Bamaman wrote:Just to be clear, in all of the ones where we have to pick from a list, in none of them do we need to specify which letter choice we are going with?
Correct
Last edited by RandyG on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 13 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Just a reminder, folks: you can use a DROP, a WILD CARD, and there's no point penalty for incorrect guesses on the extra credit question. If you've already submitted and haven't looked up any answers, then you can resubmit with these additions. I don't want anybody to overlook these options, and it can take a lot more of my time to note it to you individually via PM.

Thx,
The Management
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Clarification about question 12: If the lyrics of the entire song are too brief to meet your definition of a "verse," but the song does have a vocal part and it's entirely in another language, is it a valid answer?
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Magna wrote:Clarification about question 12: If the lyrics of the entire song are too brief to meet your definition of a "verse," but the song does have a vocal part and it's entirely in another language, is it a valid answer?
Hmmmmm..... that describes an interesting situation. If it's the entire song, then I'd be inclined to accept it, however if it's merely background chanting or grunting over what's essentially an instrumental, then maybe not. How about you send me a PM with what you're thinking of, so I can assess it better, and then I'll post something about it here.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

RandyG wrote:
Magna wrote:Clarification about question 12: If the lyrics of the entire song are too brief to meet your definition of a "verse," but the song does have a vocal part and it's entirely in another language, is it a valid answer?
Hmmmmm..... that describes an interesting situation. If it's the entire song, then I'd be inclined to accept it, however if it's merely background chanting or grunting over what's essentially an instrumental, then maybe not. How about you send me a PM with what you're thinking of, so I can assess it better, and then I'll post something about it here.
OK, let's say that the original definition of a verse stands as a requirement, "more than just a few words or a sentence."
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

So the range for no. 7 is 1958 - 1971, inclusive?
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Vanya wrote:So the range for no. 7 is 1958 - 1971, inclusive?
Yes, as it is for all the questions that say "1960s (+/- 2 yrs)." As long as the record was on the charts for at least 1 week in that year range, it counts.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

RandyG wrote:
Vanya wrote:So the range for no. 7 is 1958 - 1971, inclusive?
Yes, as it is for all the questions that say "1960s (+/- 2 yrs)." As long as the record was on the charts for at least 1 week in that year range, it counts.
Heh. Real men don't read the instructions.

Nice walk down memory lane. Back to listening to Russian pop. Econ, you just have to know where to look.
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

Great q's Randy. Thanks for doing this. This was a pretty good quiz for me since- In 65 i was 17.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

billy pilgrim wrote:Great q's Randy. Thanks for doing this. This was a pretty good quiz for me since- In 65 i was 17.
and runnin' up 101?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

bpmod wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:Great q's Randy. Thanks for doing this. This was a pretty good quiz for me since- In 65 i was 17.
and runnin' up 101?

Brian
:D

Nota bene on a possible use in a future 70s quiz.
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

bpmod wrote:
and runnin' up 101?

Brian
Exactly.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
crazymatt1
Valued Contributor

Post by crazymatt1 »

Hoo boy. I just checked some of my answers after submitting, and I apparently know much less about 60's music than I thought. That was an excellent quiz!
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

I did a little test run on the 24 entries already submitted. Great turnout, btw, especially considering I haven't heard yet from a goodly number of people who said they would probably enter.

Anyway.... once again the only thing that's predictable about these TDs is that they're unpredictable..... and that's what we love about them, right? Sheepish answers are sometimes sheep and sometimes they're singletons (or not even chosen.) Seemingly obscure answers are sometimes singletons or not chosen and sometimes they turn sheepish.

So, out of 24 entries, the sheepiest answer so far has garnered 8 votes (oy!), two have gotten 7 votes, and three have gotten 6 votes. On the other hand, eyebrow-raising singletons abound and many "easy" answers have yet to be chosen.

Like I said, nothing new here.

Carry on. :D
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

Well, that was a very different TD for me than the elements one. There's only a few questions I knew more than one right one answer to. Trying to figure out which answer is the sheep doesn't really help me any :)

Erin