What would be one suggestion that you would like to add to Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Revive Celebrity Jeopardy! but as a primetime spinoff
13%
Update the Think! music
2%
Cash bonuses for running entire categories
No votes
Have all players keep their cash, win or lose
5%
Host standing in front of the board when revealing the Final Jeopardy! clue
5%
Bring the show on the road again
11%
None of the above
64%

Total votes: 55

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Here is a poll I am doing for our fellow Jeopardy! fans out there. And before I list the poll options, I have more than one suggestion, especially regarding the rest of Season 38, and especially Season 39.

My suggestions are:

- An entirely new arrangement of the Jeopardy! theme and Think! music. The new theme that Bleeding Fingers Music did at the beginning of this season is just an update to the one Chris Bell Music did back in 2008. If not, at least have the Think! cue updated because the current one doesn't fit the new theme.

- Use a completely different title card for Season 39 (even if the globe logo continues to be used) instead of continuing to reuse the one from last season.

- Bring back Celebrity Jeopardy! except air it in primetime on ABC like they're doing with Celebrity Wheel of Fortune. Do the same with Power Player's Week.

- If TPTB can revive "Changing Keys" on Wheel of Fortune, bring back some of the practices on Jeopardy! that were retired from 1997 onwards:

1) the dollar figures popping in at the start of the Double Jeopardy! round, but keep the current sound effect;

2) the set changing to red for DJ! and FJ! Beginning on 10/6/1997, the set stayed blue throughout the whole show. The Celebrity Jeopardy! Sportscasters episode aired 1/23/1998 was the very last time that the set changed to red for DJ! and FJ! During the first week with the metallic set, the background color changed to red when the lights dimmed during FJ!; but the set stayed blue throughout the whole show from the second week with the new set until the end of Season 21, only for the practice to return in Season 22 and continues into the present day.

3) the swooshing sound at the top of the show. It was retired in November 1996 when the sushi bar set replaced the grid set, brought back in October 2001, and retired again at the beginning of Season 25. If not perhaps use a similar sound effect (like in Season 17 when there was a wind blowing sound used until the 2001-2008 theme was put into use full-time).

- Perhaps use a different set for tournaments, even if they're not taped on the road. Wheel of Fortune uses different sets depending on the themed week rather than using the generic set for every episode of the season.

- Go back to using white text on a red background for negative scores, especially if consolation prizes can be blue text on a white background.

- Have the host stand in front of the board when revealing the FJ! clue rather than sitting/standing at the lectern. I understand why Alex stayed at the lectern in Season 28; he was recovering from an achilles tendon injury. But I don't see why the host can't stand in front of the board anymore.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: What would be one suggestion that you would like to add to Jeopardy?

Post by Ironhorse »

None of the above.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Add another none of the above.

I would like to see yearly TOC and no more convoluted tournaments and team games.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Also none of the above.

Only change I would make is to add an additional $1k to the 2nd and 3rd place prizes.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

N.B. I added None of the Above as a choice.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I don't think $1,000 is enough for third prize and for some people, $2,000 just barely covers the travel expenses. I like the idea of providing a little more cash for the consolation prizes, so $2,000 or $2,500 for third and at least $3,000 for second, but no more than $5,000.
Just a person who loves game shows.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

If Celeb J! (or even going the power players exhibition style route) didn't take up normal time, I'm good with that. Even better if they get some B+ or A listers and avoid reporters (journalists may be okay)...but dunno how that would work scheduling wise.

I also think I'm in the minority where I don't mind the silliness...but those types of games, I don't feel I'm competing against and can just play along for fun. It's relaxing...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:15 pm Add another none of the above.

I would like to see yearly TOC and no more convoluted tournaments and team games.
I miss having the TOC every November as well. But the problem is with no-limit champs is that a couple long runs eat up a big chunk of the season. Matt and Amy have won a combined 57 games. We’d be seeing two day champs qualifying.

Put me down for none of the above. Forced to choose, I’d say put the celebs in prime time so real people don’t lose a slot.

Also think prize money for the non-winners should be bumped.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

This poll reminds me of Brewster’s Millions.

Great things don’t need changes.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I wish they would show the category in the corner of each clue for the viewers at home.

Also, I think they should pay travel expenses, rather than increasing 2nd and 3rd's money
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

None of the above. Double the clue values.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:42 pm I don't think $1,000 is enough for third prize and for some people, $2,000 just barely covers the travel expenses. I like the idea of providing a little more cash for the consolation prizes, so $2,000 or $2,500 for third and at least $3,000 for second, but no more than $5,000.
This, or what econgator said.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Agree with more money for second and third place. Wouldn’t mind seeing a few celebrity episodes in prime time. Don’t think they need to change anything else.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Definitely none of the above.

Sure, double the non winner payouts.

Strictly out of self interest, bring back the senior tournament! Maybe have a supersenior tournament, could be my best shot!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:02 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:15 pm Add another none of the above.

I miss having the TOC every November as well. But the problem is with no-limit champs is that a couple long runs eat up a big chunk of the season. Matt and Amy have won a combined 57 games. We’d be seeing two day champs qualifying.

Put me down for none of the above. Forced to choose, I’d say put the celebs in prime time so real people don’t lose a slot.

Also think prize money for the non-winners should be bumped.
Would be interesting to see if your prophecy plays out, but I think the worst that would happen if we use this rare season as an example is a couple of high money three day champs.

Time will tell; and if anyone feels like digging through the archive since the no limit rule came about to see what would’ve happened with a TOC for every season…enjoy the research.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

cf1140 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:24 pm Also, I think they should pay travel expenses, rather than increasing 2nd and 3rd's money
Just for kicks, 2nd and 3rd get nothing. No cash, no parting gift. Maybe that way more contestants would actually play to win the game. :lol:

If a change was going to be made, I find the above interesting. Air for one, lodging, and a per diem. Could trade that for advertising. Throw 2nd place a grand in cash and call it a day.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Very occasionally having the two daily doubles in the Double Jeopardy! round being in the same category. Like top box-level rare. Just be kinda' fun to not be able to completely rule out the other clues in the category when looking for the daily doubles.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

None of the above. My top pick would be to go back to showing the text of video clues as they're read. And also maybe keeping the score in the corner the way sports broadcasts do.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

I'd like to add Buzzy as host.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I do miss special tournaments from Radio City Music Hall or wherever. But only on special occasions. If the world ever gets back to a place where that can be realistically done again, I wouldn't mind if they brought that back.