Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote:Despite every single diesel pump I've seen being yellow (I've filled up in the US before, but not nearly as many times as I've filled up here, so I may just have forgotten the colour of American diesel pump handles) I blurted out "diesel" too, then said "no, stupid, they're yellow, "green" is probably "biofuel" of some kind, but since diesel was the first thing out of my mouth I have to take it."
Yeah, diesel pump handles are green in the U.S. I don't know why.

I was just in Ireland, where we rented a diesel car, and the diesel and petrol pump handles were always the same color (black), but somehow we managed to not put the wrong stuff in the tank.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

The TOM for the electricity question BTW is a reference to the Main Street Electrical Parade, a regular event at the Magic Kingdom (obviously).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:The TOM for the electricity question BTW is a reference to the Main Street Electrical Parade, a regular event at the Magic Kingdom (obviously).
Didn't that end about 20 years ago?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:The TOM for the electricity question BTW is a reference to the Main Street Electrical Parade, a regular event at the Magic Kingdom (obviously).
Didn't that end about 20 years ago?
It's back, just like the Space Age!!!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Diesel handles have been green for a long time everywhere I've ever bought gas in the US. I was surprised the contestants even paused before getting that one, and even more surprised that most folks here didn't know it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Did anyone guess Laurel on the Tree clue that used "rest" in the wording? The parade/electricity connection worked better for the Monorail.

The FJ clue had me looking at NYC and CA. I went for the Getty as a guess since I could find no reason to pick one NY one over another one. If DC had come to me I probably would have gone with the broader Smithsonian response. When Evan was ruled incorrect with History I immediately said Air & Space.

DiCaprio was a lucky stab with extended DD thinking time.

Numerical Titles was on the tough side. The titles were not unfamiliar, but getting them quickly felt more like a TOC set to me.

Tough game for Evan. I wanted to hear story #2 after the winning first day one that gets you the call.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Ummm ... not all of us live in the U.S. of A, BTW. Gotta be a better way to point me to diesel.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

They should have used The Five Man Electrical Band- Signs, signs, everywhere are signs.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

heisman65 wrote:Ummm ... not all of us live in the U.S. of A, BTW. Gotta be a better way to point me to diesel.
Jeopardy is an American production. I don't think it's an unfair clue.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

So not only do I have to learn about all your presidents and your history, but I have to study gas pumps, too? Seems fair to me …
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Magna wrote:I think the quality of the writing has been rather poor lately. The mistakes/bad choices have included obvious spelling errors ("thier"), incomprehensible or misleading clues, and weird, idiosyncratic categories that neither the contestants nor the viewers seem to understand. I'm not quite sure what to attribute it to, but overall the mistakes and bad writing seem to point to a lack of proofreading or editing (possibly due to cuts in staff?) In other words, it looks like just one writer is putting together the whole board, and no one is really checking the writer's work or vetoing poorly thought-out clues or categories.
I think it's the team of Dr. Sheldon Cooper and Amy-Farrah Fowler.;-)
Seriously, there is something annoyingly 'off', nerdish, 'idiosyncratic', and just trying to be as obtuse as possible with so many of the clues. Can someone without a social disorder be allowed to write?
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a victory for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Sage on the Hudson

Pumping biodiesel into your favorite charcarodon

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Please tell me someone's planning to add that inflatable shark thing to YouTube.
All I know is that it must have been filled with second-hand helium after the writers got through inhaling it.

Austin Powers wrote:I said "biodiesel" for the green handled fuel - since they took diesel, I'm toying with crediting it, since I've seen biodiesel handles that are green. Also: biodiesel is, metaphorically, green.
Biodiesel's the stuff made from old cooking oil, which isn't the same thing as plain Diesel. Since the clue offered nothing connecting it with the re-cycled fuel, I don't think the judges would have credited someone with that response.

dhkendall wrote:Nit, it's either Göring or Goering (the latter is preferred in English), Goring is what you don't want Pamplona bulls to do to you.
I don't know that it's so much preferred as merely inconvenient for Americans to write anything with an umlaut.

trainman wrote:I was just in Ireland, where we rented a diesel car, and the diesel and petrol pump handles were always the same color (black), but somehow we managed to not put the wrong stuff in the tank.
The reason's easy: just as in the U.S., gas and Diesel nozzles have different diameters and won't fit into the inappropriate car receptacle.
earendel

Post by earendel »

thenextofken wrote:Frankly, I was not a fan of that Final. When the clue was announced, I wracked my brain for something significant that happened around 2009-2010 that might've made a certain museum see an increase in traffic. Finally I went with Smithsonian, which Alex said was too broad. But what was the TOM in that clue, the years? And from that, how were we supposed to come up with "Space Age?" Yesterday's clue was good because if you knew Hal Holbrook played Mark Twain, you could've easily gone from Harold to Hal. But today's clue was trivia, pure and simple. Not up to the usual FJ standards, imho.
I did the same thing - try to think of some significant event that would attract people to museums. But then, like many others, I figured it was the Smithsonian, but which one? I went with my favorite and was surprised to hear that it was the right answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
earendel

Post by earendel »

MarkBarrett wrote:Did anyone guess Laurel on the Tree clue that used "rest" in the wording?

*Raises hand*
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
miggydub
Contributor

Post by miggydub »

kristinsausville wrote:I got to Air & Space Museum pretty quickly by figuring that it's the Smithsonian museum with the most unique, yet universal appeal -- international tourists may not be as interested in American history, and there are natural history museums everywhere. I also thought that the visitors to Udvar-Hazy out at Dulles would be included, since it's officially a part of the museum.

Of course, I grew up in the DC area and that one always seemed to be the most crowded. I remember it being so packed my first time that I could barely see anything even in the gift shop.
I'm also a lifelong DC area resident and thought FJ was very easy.

I didn't pay attention to where the contestants were from. We usually field a great # of DC area players overall during a given year. Did any from last night reside anywhere near DC? Many from outside the area don't realize that 19 different museums make up the Smithsonion Institute.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

heisman65 wrote:Here's Exhibit A in showing how hard the games were this week. Even Alex laments the recent dearth of multiple-game champs. That first round seemed particularly hard (billow? Redstone? grubstake? green for diesel (I guessed ethanol)?), the second not so much, except for that killer Numerical Titles category and Mariel Hemingway (although Manhattan is one of my all-time fave films). Also, not sure how you were supposed to get to Hawaii by the info given. Could've been Florida.

Don't get me started on Pig Latin Latin. I think it's a bit much to assume that everyone knows the rules of Pig Latin. All three contestants were probably relieved they didn't have to answer any more of those questions. And I'll be impressed if anyone gets that FJ.
Redstone was an indirect reference to the red stone of Alabama. Herr Doktor Von Braun & co. did their work on the missile (later used for Explorer 1 and, in a stretch version, for the suborbital Mercury launches) at Redstone Arsenal near Huntsville, prior to the construction of Marshall Space Flight Center. They (or the US Army) used the base's name for the missile's name.

I went with the National Air and Space Museum because that's been the top-visited museum more often than not since it's been opened. I was wondering (with the "single" reference) if one had to be specific with the one on the National Mall, or with the "annex" near Dulles Airport. I put it down, but wasn't sure how confident I was; because it was specific to the two years, I was wondering if there was some new museum near the old World Trade Center site in Manhattan.
billy pilgrim wrote:
They should have used The Five Man Electrical Band- Signs, signs, everywhere are signs.
Yes, but they're Canadian. :lol: Although, much of the backing vocals for that song were by The Wrecking Crew (remember them?), which is why they sounded a lot like the Patridge Family...
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Onairb wrote:Can someone without a social disorder be allowed to write?
Sure, just take a look at the boardies we allow to post here. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

I haven't seen this game yet (on the DVR for later), although based on the reaction I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Eight (EIGHT!) clues left unrevealed and what seems like a consensus of incredibly low-quality writing? Oh boy.

Also, I don't think the term "Space Age" has been used since...well...the actual Space Age (is it one of those things that it's still ongoing though no one considers it as such, like the Korean War?). I know we're still doing the whole space exploration thing, but to me the Space Age ended in the 70s with the end of the Apollo program, notwithstanding the Shuttle program. The term just seems dated.

The timing of this episode with Discovery being sent to the Smithsonian on the same day it aired was a pretty neat coincidence.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The FJ actually reminded of Jeopardy WAY WAY back in the day, when the show hadn't quite found its style yet. FJs tend to be of the "give us a fact" approach, which is to say they were like every other trivia question out there.

See

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2264

or especially

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2205

Those really aren't great questions, either.