Friday, December 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSIC LEGENDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: "I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk"

Amy Schneider: 42000-18000=24000 (23x = $855,600)
Dan Patton: 2100-2000=100
Arjun Sivakumar: 11200-6999=4201

Correct response:
Spoiler
(John) Lennon & (Paul) McCartney [All three players had Simon & Garfunkel]

Daily Doubles
Amy: 10400+4000
Amy: 24000+8000
Dan: 2000-1500

Coryats
Amy: 32600
Dan: 3600
Arjun: 11200

Combined: 47,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 16000
Dan: minus 400
Arjun: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to a YT find I was able to watch.

Was Dan's chat story long enough? Alex would have commented on the length and then all but skipped over talking to Amy.

+12000 for Amy on DDs and a huge 42K for the FJ! round. You know what than means? Yup, a miss and 18K bye bye.

Wouldn't it be great if Hammer somehow avoided the popular triple miss and got it? Yeah, not holding my breath.

I wrote the correct names with shaky confidence though enough to put my pen down and not switch to what the players had. There will be arguments both ways about the clue and I do understand why the wording can lean one way and can also direct someone the other way.

For me it was "church fair" and "1957" pointing me the right way. Perhaps I've learned a little something from watching the right things in 2020s? Not sure. It could go back to Casey Kasem as well. Whatever, I'll take it to end the year.

Amy showed what one is possible of accomplishing even on game 10 of back-to-back taping days. Plenty of gas left in the tank. Next up a new day and even more intimidating wins/money to greet the ensuing taping day pool of players.

I'll work on archiving, but it will be slower and less accurate at first as I do not have the CC to aid me. Still, that beats waiting until 1:30PT to see the game as I thought might happen.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:59 pm For me it was "church fair" and "1957" pointing me the right way.
Indeed. Why would a couple of nice Jewish boys have been attending a church fair? Once you catch that part of the clue, Sam & Dave or the Righteous Brothers are more plausible wrong guesses than what the contestants wrote down.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Xu Donym wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:59 pm For me it was "church fair" and "1957" pointing me the right way.
Indeed. Why would a couple of nice Jewish boys have been attending a church fair? Once you catch that part of the clue, Sam & Dave or the Righteous Brothers are more plausible wrong guesses than what the contestants wrote down.
In archiving the game I was reminded of J15 for another very sublte way of avoiding the wrong guess. Intentional on the writers' part or coincidence? Not that I remembered that clue when playing the FJ! round.
MrBluebird
Contributor

Post by MrBluebird »

The category was Music Legends. I remember Paul Simon talking about how exotic he and Art found the names of the Everlys (Phil and Don). Also since they were Jewish, no church picnic meeting. The only possible response was John and Paul. The idea that it was Paul talking made sense.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Paul Simon seems not actually to have been a fat schoolboy:
tandj.jpg
tandj.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

2021 is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7231

The OCR had some trouble by creating extra spaces with the YT version I used since there was some kind of sign language interpreter throughout the recording. I caught many and I'm sure I missed some of the extra spaces. Trying to do the media clues without a CC opens the way for other entry errors.

Correction suggestions will get things fixed as the day goes along. At least it's done well ahead of the football's game's conclusion.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:41 pm 2021 is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7231

The OCR had some trouble by creating extra spaces with the YT version I used since there was some kind of sign language interpreter throughout the recording. I caught many and I'm sure I missed some of the extra spaces. Trying to do the media clues without a CC opens the way for other entry errors.

Correction suggestions will get things fixed as the day goes along. At least it's done well ahead of the football's game's conclusion.
Thank you Mark, and thank you for all the archiving you did in 2021. In a year that was middling to poor in most respects, you have been one of its great blessings. Cheers.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Name a PAIR of musicians that met in the 50s, so they were probably big in the 60s or 70s, and we'll throw in the word "fair" to push you even further onto the wrong track.

Unsurprising that all three contestants had the same incorrevt response.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:54 pm we'll throw in the word "fair" to push you even further onto the wrong track.
Would it have been better or worse, do you think, if they used the word "fete", which is what it was actually called?

This clue should've been a slam dunk for anyone with this on their bookshelf:
The Day John Met Paul: An Hour-by-Hour Account of How the Beatles Began
flyer
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:31 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:54 pm we'll throw in the word "fair" to push you even further onto the wrong track.
Would it have been better or worse, do you think, if they used the word "fete", which is what it was actually called?

This clue should've been a slam dunk for anyone with this on their bookshelf:
The Day John Met Paul: An Hour-by-Hour Account of How the Beatles Began
flyer
"Fair" is how I checked my work and made the decision to write it down. "Fete" would have been less misleading, and "these two musicians" would have been far better than "this pair", IMHO
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Any reason why Jagger/Richards wouldn't have been a plausible guess? :?:
If I had to pick one of those for being drunk, I would pick Richards every time :twisted:
brick

Post by brick »

DBear wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:47 pm Any reason why Jagger/Richards wouldn't have been a plausible guess? :?:
If I had to pick one of those for being drunk, I would pick Richards every time :twisted:
Yeah. I was at least in England and with gentile chaps. I waffled between Jagger/Richards and Lennon/ McCartney and chose wrong in the end.

I suspect the Kodachrome clue earlier put a lot of people in mind of Simon and Garfunkel.
brick

Post by brick »

Jennings called Amy “babe” at the end of her marble anecdote.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:28 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:41 pm 2021 is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7231

Thank you Mark, and thank you for all the archiving you did in 2021. In a year that was middling to poor in most respects, you have been one of its great blessings. Cheers.
Everyone is welcome as it is my pleasure to help out as best as I can. Thanks for the kind words. Here's to 2022 going as well as far as J! stuff goes.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'll add to the chorus of thanks to Mark.

There are all kinds of reasons why my guess of Martin and Lewis was dumb.

If I'm not mistaken, on DJ1 Ken pronounced the second syllable of Grenada as "ah" and not "ay". It's supposed to be "ay", isn't it?

Have a good 2022, everyone!
brick

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:59 pm I'll work on archiving, but it will be slower and less accurate at first as I do not have the CC to aid me. Still, that beats waiting until 1:30PT to see the game as I thought might happen.
The archives have been such a gift all year. Thank you, and all the archivists, for all your time and effort.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

brick wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:15 pm Jennings called Amy “babe” at the end of her marble anecdote.
No, he didn't. Her called her Amy.

Add me to the S&G crowd, although I was certain it was wrong.