2022 RIP thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: 2022 RIP thread

Post by squarekara »

I'm trying to recall who said "I always turn to the Obituaries first" when asked about newspaper (NYT?) reading habits. I think it was Studs Terkel. I'm the same way. Nothing morbid about learning about someone's achievements, J!-worthy or not, or sharing appreciations. What's morbid is a necrology used solely as a study guide with the list comprised of only those names most likely to be tagged by the J! writers!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I imagIne readers have been turning first to the obituaries since they were invented. That choice is what newspapers are for, and I think everybody should read newspapers in some form, especially if you want to do well on J!. Appreciation is only occasionally what happens in this thread. Rather it's often about being the first here to report a death. That's morbid.
I merely point it out, I don't expect to change it...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:49 pm The problem is that it's now morphed into a thread where boardies just post obits of people who may be of interest to them regardless of whether or not it's Jeopardy material. At least two thirds of postings in this thread have zero chance of ever being asked about on Jeopardy.
And that's why Golf is JBoardie of the Month (well, that plus he donated money). I agree. The thread is useful for J! study, but should be limited to people who are likely to be in the J! canon. Some of the citations that have been posted are substantially more trivial than that. I won't go into examples.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wolfgang Petersen age 81

From Wikipedia:
Wolfgang Petersen (14 March 1941 – 12 August 2022) was a German film director, producer and screenwriter. He was nominated for two Academy Awards for the World War II submarine warfare film Das Boot (1981). His other films include The NeverEnding Story (1984), Enemy Mine (1985), In the Line of Fire (1993), Outbreak (1995), Air Force One (1997), The Perfect Storm (2000), Troy (2004), and Poseidon (2006).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Brazil's "Man of the Hole", the last remaining member of an uncontacted indigenous group, so nicknamed for the holes he built for shelter and/or animal trapping

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-62712318
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Barbara Ehrenreich, journalist and author, probably best known for Nickled and Dimed:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Former heavyweight boxer Ernie Shavers.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2022/09 ... utType=amp
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:34 pmRIP ER II
The Queen is dead, long live the Queen!!!!

I have a late 1980s FJ to thank for knowing "King Charles III" decades in advance (exact date, anyone?)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:59 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:34 pmRIP ER II
The Queen is dead, long live the Queen!!!!

I have a late 1980s FJ to thank for knowing "King Charles III" decades in advance (exact date, anyone?)
Has he confirmed that he will use the name Charles? He's free to take one of his other names as his regnal name (and maybe even any name he chooses... not sure about that). He could reign as Philip in honor of his father, as Arthur (or Arthur II?) but that seems unlikely given his lack of popularity, or as George VII to emphasize continuity with his grandfather and to avoid association with the Stuart line and the two Charleses, the first of whom was beheaded and the second of whom was a notorious libertine. His grandfather (born Albert Frederick Arthur George) took the name George VI, so there's an immediate precedent too. (Well, as immediate as it can get when a reign of 70 years intervenes.) This would also have the advantage of distancing him from his own name and, perhaps, the reputation that goes with it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:16 pm to avoid association with the Stuart line and the two Charleses
If that was going to be an issue, you'd think it would have come up when his mother named him, the presumptive heir to the throne.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:59 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:16 pm to avoid association with the Stuart line and the two Charleses
If that was going to be an issue, you'd think it would have come up when his mother named him, the presumptive heir to the throne.
She knew from her dad's example that the first name didn't have to be the regnal name.

However, Reuters has just reported that he will indeed be Charles III.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britai ... 022-09-08/
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Longtime CNN anchor Bernard Shaw, who just happened to be "Farrah Fawcetted" by Her Majesty QE2.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:34 pm Longtime CNN anchor Bernard Shaw, who just happened to be "Farrah Fawcetted" by Her Majesty QE2.
If he died from being raped and murdered, would Kitty Dukakis support the death penalty for his killer?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

floridagator wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:05 pm
MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:34 pm Longtime CNN anchor Bernard Shaw, who just happened to be "Farrah Fawcetted" by Her Majesty QE2.
If he died from being raped and murdered, would Kitty Dukakis support the death penalty for his killer?
The term "farrah Fawcetted" means to die the same day as someone more famous than you.

Stems from Farrah dying the same day in 2009 as Michael Jackson.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 pm
The term "farrah Fawcetted" means to die the same day as someone more famous than you.

I use the terms "Huxleyed" and "Lewised" since Aldous Huxley and C.S. Lewis died on the same day as JFK.

Others in this group include Sergei Prokofiev(Died the same day as Joseph Stalin.), Jack Higgins(Died same day as Gilbert Gottfried.), David McCullough(Died same day as Olivia Newton-John.), and of course Pat Carroll(Sandwiched between Bill Russell and Nichelle Nichols.)

Meat Loaf/Louis Anderson is debatable for me.
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:02 am
MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 pm The term "farrah Fawcetted" means to die the same day as someone more famous than you.

I use the terms "Huxleyed" and "Lewised" since Aldous Huxley and C.S. Lewis died on the same day as JFK.

Others in this group include Sergei Prokofiev(Died the same day as Joseph Stalin.), Jack Higgins(Died same day as Gilbert Gottfried.), David McCullough(Died same day as Olivia Newton-John.), and of course Pat Carroll(Sandwiched between Bill Russell and Nichelle Nichols.)

Meat Loaf/Louis Anderson is debatable for me.
And Groucho Marx's death went relatively unnoticed 3 days after Elvis Presley's.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I didn't ask you to explain. My comment had nothing to do with that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:39 pm

I didn't ask you to explain. My comment had nothing to do with that.
It was such a non sequitur that it was easy to assume you had misunderstood something in the post you quoted.