2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: 2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:58 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:25 pm It's making news and it's not 2023 yet when the movie comes out.

Barbie
Barbie - Margot Robbie
Ken - Ryan Gosling :lol: saw pic on TMZ today
I cannot pass on this hard enough.
Yeah, Andrew Garfield would've made a much better Ken.
I dunno. Depends on how a realistic a match they want. Maybe Alfie Allen in character as TG.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:25 pm It's making news and it's not 2023 yet when the movie comes out.

Barbie
Barbie - Margot Robbie
That pic just popped up on my Google News feed. Nothing against Gosling, but, as a collector of vintage Barbie, I believe any Ken should look like Dwayne Hickman.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:44 am

Barbie
Barbie - Margot Robbie
That pic just popped up on my Google News feed. Nothing against Gosling, but, as a collector of vintage Barbie, I believe any Ken should look like Dwayne Hickman.
gotta wonder if the movie will feature a surprise appearance by GI Joe, and who should play him?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

RandyG wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:26 am R.I.P.

My Whitburns have been indispensable possessions for decades.

But odd that I always had trouble remembering his name, and would invariably come up with "Halliwell"...... Halliwell actually being the long time author of film guides.
Long before the Internet Movie Database came into being, I used to spend hours perusing Halliwell's Film Guide, as well as Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide and David Thomson's Biographical Dictionary of Film.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:15 pm

But odd that I always had trouble remembering his name, and would invariably come up with "Halliwell"...... Halliwell actually being the long time author of film guides.
Long before the Internet Movie Database came into being, I used to spend hours perusing Halliwell's Film Guide, as well as Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide and David Thomson's Biographical Dictionary of Film.
Ditto. In the IMDb era, Halliwell's and the like are a lot less relevant from a research standpoint, but are still valuable as interesting reading material. OTOH, nothing else available, for pay or otherwise, can compare to a Whitburn for research. Further, I have a pdf of the rock era singles catalog, which, with a modicum of search effort, can answer all sorts of questions about singles and performers who charted on Billboard, e.g. Name every charted 1960s single that had a day of week in its title. (Those who know me, know that I'm into those kind of things.)

For those wondering, this is the continuation of a conversation on the 2022 RIP thread.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

RandyG wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:02 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:15 pm
Ditto. In the IMDb era, Halliwell's and the like are a lot less relevant from a research standpoint, but are still valuable as interesting reading material.
Absolutely. We have a couple different editions of Halliwell's that are so well-loved that we have to pray their spines stay intact every time we reach for them.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:52 am The Golden State Warriors win the 2022 NBA Finals, defeating the Boston Celtics. It is their 4th Larry O'Brien Trophy in the past 8 years.
So close. :oops:

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:11 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:52 am The Golden State Warriors win the 2022 NBA Finals, defeating the Boston Celtics. It is their 4th Larry O'Brien Trophy in the past 8 years.
So close. :oops:
I wouldn't even suggest going this route...
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016053 ... too-early/

My vote is just get the '20'. You're still getting a tattoo, don't make it something you'll regert.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:54 pm Ohio State University's trademark application for the word "THE" has been approved by the US Patent and Trademark Office (for use on clothing, hats, etc, not for all uses of the word).
Whew! That was really going to cramp my style.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:14 pm I have no idea who [Khaby Lame] is, or what they do.
Thank you for admitting this and making me feel better
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:35 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:14 pm I have no idea who [Khaby Lame] is, or what they do.
To me, the most compelling question this presents is: Is it Lame or La-mé? And I still don't know the answer... ;)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:35 pm
I just clicked on the link. I actually know who this person is, and have watched and enjoyed some of his videos.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Since this is still developing, going to mention in here, but apparently Boris Johnson just resigned from Conservative Party leadership, but is still the PM for now

https://apnews.com/article/boris-johnso ... f53034ad0e
Johnson stepped down immediately as Conservative Party leader but said he would remain as prime minister until the party chooses his successor. The timetable for that process will be announced next week, he said.
Probably worth adding to the main thread once the new PM is picked
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:24 am Since this is still developing, going to mention in here, but apparently Boris Johnson just resigned from Conservative Party leadership, but is still the PM for now
Apparently? I'm convinced it happened... ;)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:59 pm On Sunday, the cost of a "Forever" first class stamp went up from 58 cents to 60 cents.
Good idea: buying a load of Forever stamps right before they go up in price.
Bad idea: having said load of stamps sitting around accessibly when you have small children who are into stickers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:05 pm
Do you actually still mail things?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:22 pm
I'm about to go to the post office tomorrow to mail some government forms. With a paper check.

("You still have paper checks?" I hate that I have to...)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:37 am
I'm about to go to the post office tomorrow to mail some government forms. With a paper check.

We have this thing around here where thieves have gotten hold of the keys for the mailboxes and are rifling them for mail with checks. They bleach out the information on the check and put their own information in. They've even been holding up mailmen at gunpoint to take their keys. I will only hand outgoing mail to the mailman or take it to the post office.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:35 am

We have this thing around here where thieves have gotten hold of the keys for the mailboxes and are rifling them for mail with checks. They bleach out the information on the check and put their own information in. They've even been holding up mailmen at gunpoint to take their keys. I will only hand outgoing mail to the mailman or take it to the post office.
So they steal the keys at gunpoint to then go to a mailbox to empty that out and go through what's in there, but they don't take the bag strapped over the mail person's shoulder?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:31 am
alietr wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:35 am

So they steal the keys at gunpoint to then go to a mailbox to empty that out and go through what's in there, but they don't take the bag strapped over the mail person's shoulder?
I believe they did that as well.