2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: 2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by alietr »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:41 pm This announcement hit me harder than most due to the fact that my wife, Dena, was recently diagnosed with a stage 4 glioblastoma — terminal brain cancer — which was found only because of sudden-onset aphasia in January.
Very sorry to hear this as well.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:41 pm Bruce Willis is retiring from acting after being diagnosed with aphasia.

Bruce Willis’ Career in Photos, From ‘Moonlighting’ to ‘Glass’

This announcement hit me harder than most due to the fact that my wife, Dena, was recently diagnosed with a stage 4 glioblastoma — terminal brain cancer — which was found only because of sudden-onset aphasia in January.
Can't even begin to imagine what you are both going through. :(
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

The US will be in an initial group along with England, Iran, and the final UEFA (European confederation) qualifier, who will be either Wales, Scotland, or Ukraine. (In international soccer, the "home nations" of the UK complete separately.) The American team's first match will be on the Monday of Thanksgiving week against the UEFA qualifier, then on Black Friday against England, then the next Tuesday against Iran.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:59 am Alyssa Nakken, assistant coach for the SF Giants, became the first woman to work a baseline (as first base coach.) Admittedly, it's because the normal first base coach got himself ejected, but still.c

https://defector.com/i-guess-making-his ... -punching/

Sadly, her historic moment was overshadowed by the just terrible creamsickle city-connect jerseys the Giants had to wear that day.
I agree with you that those jerseys are ugly, but frankly they still looked better than the Padres’ gawdawful ones. No wonder the score was so lopsided. :mrgreen:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: 2022 Current Events Study Guide

Post by DBear »

Wonderful news! Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of urinalistic hacks. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

New promotion idea: If the Giants score 8 runs or more on a day they wear those jerseys, everyone gets a coupon for a box of said creamsicles.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:56 am Starz series: Gaslit with Julia Roberts & Sean Penn as Martha & John (attorney general) Mitchell (Watergate era)

Showtime series: The Man Who Fell to Earth with Chiwetel Ejiofor in sequel to David Bowie 1976 film
We caught the first episode of Gaslit. Even though I knew he was Sean Penn, I still did a triple take when I saw him.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:34 am
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:39 am 2022 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. As expected, Dolly Parton is included, despite her request not to be.
Spoiler
Performer Category
Pat Benatar
Duran Duran
Eminem
Eurythmics
Dolly Parton
Lionel Richie
Carly Simon

Musical Excellence Award
Judas Priest
Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis

Early Influence Award
Harry Belafonte
Elizabeth Cotten

Ahmet Ertegun Award
Allen Grubman
Jimmy Iovine
Sylvia Robinson
She more recently changed her mind
Since the above bit will probably get moved here anyway...

https://www.avclub.com/dolly-parton-roc ... 1848860191
“It was always my belief that the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame was for people in rock music” Parton says. “I have found out lately it’s not necessarily that. But if they can’t go there to be recognized, where can they go? And so I felt like I was taking away from someone that maybe deserved it certainly more than me since I never considered myself a rock artist. But obviously, there’s more to it than that.”
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:07 pm 2022 Kentucky Derby winner, Rich Strike, an 80-1 long shot.
Geez, what are the odds?
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Netflix's Patton Oswalt-narrated wildlife series Penguin Town, a pleasant-enough way to pass the time during a pandemic, was just nominated for six Daytime Emmy Awards. How do you suppose it was determined the show is a "daytime" program?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

teapot37 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:03 pm Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos, Jr, son of the exiled former dictator, has been elected the President of the Philippines in what appears to be a landslide based on initial vote tallies. He replaces departing president Rodrigo Duterte.
No J! writer will pass up the chance to make Ken Jennings (or whomever) say "Bongbong."
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:51 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:03 pm
And one more guessing question. This year will see the third show to receive a Daytime Emmy Lifetime Achievement Award, after 60 Minutes and Sesame Street. Name it.
Spoiler
PBS's This Old House.
This seemed odd as 60 Minutes is not a daytime show, my guess is the articles making this claim are indicating that 60 Minutes and Sesame Street were the only prorams (daytime or primetime) to ever be so honored. But I can't find any full list anywhere so it's hard to verify this for certain.
This information is included in a press release on the This Old House website. The same information appears on the PBS website and in a Hollywood Reporter article. I'm guessing the claim is legitimate.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:08 pm
And one more guessing question. This year will see the third show to receive a Daytime Emmy Lifetime Achievement Award, after 60 Minutes and Sesame Street. Name it.
Spoiler
PBS's This Old House.
This seemed odd as 60 Minutes is not a daytime show, my guess is the articles making this claim are indicating that 60 Minutes and Sesame Street were the only prorams (daytime or primetime) to ever be so honored. But I can't find any full list anywhere so it's hard to verify this for certain.
This information is included in a press release on the This Old House website. The same information appears on the PBS website and in a Hollywood Reporter article. I'm guessing the claim is legitimate.
All those sources do indeed say that it's the 3rd program to receive an Emmy Lifetime Achievement Award, which will be awarded at the Daytime Emmys, that does not make it the 3rd to receive a Daytime Emmy Lifetime Achievement Award, as 60 Minutes is not a daytime show. None of the articles specifically point out this distinction but I think that it's still the case.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:23 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:08 pm
Spoiler
PBS's This Old House.
All those sources do indeed say that it's the 3rd program to receive an Emmy Lifetime Achievement Award, which will be awarded at the Daytime Emmys, that does not make it the 3rd to receive a Daytime Emmy Lifetime Achievement Award, as 60 Minutes is not a daytime show. None of the articles specifically point out this distinction but I think that it's still the case.
The Deadline article also just says 3rd Lifetime Achievement Emmy. I think I assumed a word in there that isn't actually there.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:30 pm Denver Broncos announce $4.65 billion sale of the team to a group led by the son of Walmart founder Sam Walton.

Hopefully Broncos fans enjoy Wal-Mart family ownership better than Kansas City Royals fans did (the low point trying to lowball Carlos Beltran after he proactively came to ownership and offered 3 years for $23 million).
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:30 pm Denver Broncos announce $4.65 billion sale of the team to a group led by the son of Walmart founder Sam Walton.
The Bentonville Broncos!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:31 pm
The Bentonville Broncos!
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:37 pm Hopefully Broncos fans enjoy Wal-Mart family ownership better than Kansas City Royals fans did (the low point trying to lowball Carlos Beltran after he proactively came to ownership and offered 3 years for $23 million).
The Ozark Rollbacks!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:25 pm It's making news and it's not 2023 yet when the movie comes out.

Barbie
Barbie - Margot Robbie
Ken - Ryan Gosling :lol: saw pic on TMZ today
I cannot pass on this hard enough.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:25 pm It's making news and it's not 2023 yet when the movie comes out.

Barbie
Barbie - Margot Robbie
Ken - Ryan Gosling :lol: saw pic on TMZ today
I cannot pass on this hard enough.
Yeah, Andrew Garfield would've made a much better Ken.